[Trans Canada Highway] The Malahat

• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#1921 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 05:03 AM

The Malahat highway at Tunnel Hill has reopened to two-way traffic, the Ministry of Transportation said Friday night. 

Work is continuing to repair extensive damage caused by Sunday and Monday’s heavy rainfall and flooding, but that work has progressed enough to allow two-way travel.

https://www.timescol...on-zone-4779789

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 November 2021 - 05:03 AM.

#1922 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 03:48 PM

Great to hear! Thanks to the road works people1

#1923 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 12:40 PM

The leaders spoke side-by-side at the B.C. legislature on Friday evening after Trudeau visited the flood-ravaged Sumas Prairie in Abbotsford earlier in the day.

The Prime Minister was asked if the federal government would help fund some sort of alternative to the Malahat, but Horgan quickly stepped in to “give a pass” to Trudeau and field the question himself. Horgan, who’s also the MLA for Langford-Juan de Fuca, noted the Malahat “is in my constituency, I’ve been dealing with it my entire life.”

“I’ve been working with the department of highways as an opposition member, as opposition leader and now as Premier to make sure that we have the best way out of Victoria, into the North Island,” he said. “It’s not a federal concern.”

https://www.vicnews....wa-says-horgan/

He's been working on the Malahat for decades sounds like.  What does he have to show for it?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 November 2021 - 01:06 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#1924 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 03:01 PM

“north Island,” not “North Island.”

But it’s more of a south Island connection, anyways. Nanaimo is still the south Island. Both the Sooke and Malahat highways are insufficient to carry the traffic volumes that they do, with no detours in place.

Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the Trans Canada Highway a federal-provincial highway, and should therefore be a federal concern?
  • Nparker, Midnightly and Teardrop like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1925 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 03:05 PM

What about a $10 to $20 toll on a partially floating bridge from north Saanich over to wherever that lands.

Set the toll to whatever rate keeps the normal traffic volume to whatever low volume you desire (say 100 to 200 cars per hour daytime), but then it’s a great backup when needed.

I looked at the water depth there, I think most/some of it would need to float if it was installed at the closest points.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 November 2021 - 03:08 PM.

#1926 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 03:58 PM

What about a $10 to $20 toll on a partially floating bridge from north Saanich over to wherever that lands....

Would that cover the cost of North Saanich residents continually blowing up portions of the bridge?

• Matt R. likes this

#1927 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 04:24 PM

If you keep traffic levels low nobody will complain.

#1928 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 04:30 PM

Have you ever met someone from North Saanich?

• Matt R. likes this

#1929 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:15 AM

If you keep traffic levels that low then what's the point?

#1930 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 04:14 AM

If you keep traffic levels that low then what's the point?

The point is to minimize local opposition, and eliminate the need to widen or otherwise improve the North Saanich road network, but have a perfectly engineered back-up for the few times per year when the Malahat is closed.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 November 2021 - 04:15 AM.

#1931 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:32 AM

I’m going to assume the new route will be some form of crossing via the peninsula. It’s likely to end up as a floating span across much of its distance and will connect Mill Bay at the Bamberton area.

British Columbia has waken up to the reality that redundancy, not only efficiency (Malahat upgrades) is crucial. This storm damage we saw was just a taste of what could happen.
  • Teardrop likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1932 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:47 AM

The point is to minimize local opposition, and eliminate the need to widen or otherwise improve the North Saanich road network, but have a perfectly engineered back-up for the few times per year when the Malahat is closed.

The province doesn’t care for local opposition, does it? I mean, look at the new Sooke highway expansion. They said sorry, not sorry, here’s your offer, we’re building a four-lane highway through your property. I want to say that if funding is on the table, they move fast. If it’s just an exploratory exercise there is feet dragging and years of consultation. But as soon as a funding stream materializes it’s on.

Know it all.

#1933 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:50 AM

Even if I live another 50 years I doubt very much I will see a bridge anywhere across Finlayson Arm.

#1934 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:58 AM

Maybe if both ends are FN land it can fly.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 November 2021 - 08:58 AM.

#1935 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 09:10 AM

Maybe if both ends are FN land it can fly.

Better if it floats.

#1936 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 09:14 AM

The south Island has grown significantly faster than was forecasted.

In 2010, the CRD predicted in its population projections the City of Victoria would reach 85,000 people by 2026. It’s most recent 2020 estimate, so the real-world figure it estimates resides within the CoV as of 2020, is just shy of 95,000.

That’s 10,000 more people than theoretically should be residing in the CoV six years down the road from the 2020 projection.

aastra was astute enough to point this out way back when, when we knew due to development the CoV population would be much higher.

Meanwhile, there was banter on this forum in 2010 that we wouldn’t tap 400,000 in Greater Victoria until 2035. But that was also iffy, as we were seeing the inevitable materializing (migration patterns, retirement).

By 2035, we are going to be a region of 550,000, including south Cowichan. The infrastructure we have is just not good enough.

Know it all.

#1937 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 09:22 AM

...By 2035, we are going to be a region of 550,000, including south Cowichan. The infrastructure we have is just not good enough.

I absolutely agree. However, even under an NDP government Vancouver Island is still the "red headed step child" of infrastructure spending. If there is a change in power - and eventually there will be - we can kiss what little funding we currently receive goodbye.

#1938 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 09:30 AM

I’m going to assume the new route will be some form of crossing via the peninsula. It’s likely to end up as a floating span across much of its distance and will connect Mill Bay at the Bamberton area.

British Columbia has waken up to the reality that redundancy, not only efficiency (Malahat upgrades) is crucial. This storm damage we saw was just a taste of what could happen.

With population growth significantly ahead of estimates and in areas other than the traditional core, even the most basic network methodology would demand
a) diversity (New routes unaffected by risks of current routes) and,

b) resiliency (Shore up existing network and establish new routes)

Waiting until a catastrophe to take action is not only dangerous, it's no way to run a business, or in this case a province.

If this was a business customers would be suing.

#1939 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 10:02 AM

...If this was a business customers would be suing.

The "customers" had their chance back in September 2020. Unfortunately, they chose to rollover and play dead.

#1940 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 10:11 AM

Build the bridge and redevelop Mill Bay into the next Oak Bay. perfect place to build a new medical school and nursing school as an anchor for the community. Time to address the doctor and nursing shortage. For funding reduce the number of sociology and woken dead classes.

• LJ likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users