Photo

COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#8281 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:40 PM

You'd be at a high risk for various other things, too, and would know better than anyone else how to take care of yourself.

I'm sure that's true, and perhaps you know someone with more personal experience. But I have to say that the people that I know with much higher than average risk from COVID-19 are not the ones complaining about masks and other precautions being taken. They tend to appreciate the fact that businesses and individuals are taking responsible action to keep the pandemic as under control as possible.

• Brayvehart and Barrrister like this

#8282 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:42 PM

It's not about what others do, it's about what others demand/expect of others to do.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8283 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:45 PM

If one really has a medical problem with face masks I cannot imagine any store would object if you had a face shield to wear. Most people are reasonable.

#8284 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:48 PM

Businesses set rules all the time. They determine what hours they are open for business. They decide whether to accept credit cards. They make rules to protect their employees. I think many businesses are pushing for masks, because that is what many of their customers and employees want, and they perceive it as being good for their business.

• Brayvehart, Barrrister and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

#8285 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:12 PM

Businesses set rules all the time. They determine what hours they are open for business. They decide whether to accept credit cards. They make rules to protect their employees. I think many businesses are pushing for masks, because that is what many of their customers and employees want, and they perceive it as being good for their business.

And to add to this...business owners & employees also often make exceptions to their own rules/make exceptions/go out of their way to make things work in the event something arises they did not consider when making said rules.

#8286 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:13 PM

But if you're asthmatic and don't wear a scarf to keep your face warm in winter, what then?

What a silly thing for a medical doctor to say. Unbelievable.

It's not silly cause the doctor is saying there is "no effect on respiratory mechanics." So he is saying that the mask doesn't effect the amount of oxygen coming through.  Oxygen is too small to be affected by these masks.  I get it, it sucks to be told what to do and a mask is foreign and not comfortable to wear at the beginning.  I don't wear one either and do not want to but facts are there.

Jim Keany, MD, emergency physician, patient safety physician champion, and former chief of staff at Mission Hospital in Orange County, California agrees that there are no medical conditions that would preclude someone from wearing a simple surgical or cloth face mask, because both masks have "no effect on respiratory mechanics." According to Dr. Keany, however, if you are having trouble breathing while wearing a cloth or surgical mask, you may not be wearing it correctly. "If you feel like you're sucking air through the mask, you are wearing the mask too tight," says Dr. Keany. "Simply look for a mask that has some stiffness to it, so that you don't suck it into your mouth [while breathing]."

Edited by Ismo07, 17 September 2020 - 02:20 PM.

• David Bratzer, Brayvehart and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

#8287 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:59 PM

Yes, the bigger mask suggestion is sound.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8288 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:38 PM

White House Axed USPS Plan To Send 5 Masks To Every American Household: Report

https://ca.news.yaho...-174340862.html

#8289 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:49 PM

Covid numbers up again in BC to 165 new cases. This may be the one thing slowing Horgan down on an election call. If the numbers keep trending up then the claim that he is simply an opportunist and putting BC'ers at risk for his own political benefit will be hard to refute.

#8290 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:56 PM

Cases don't equate infections. 

"PCR detection of viruses is helpful so long as its limitations are understood; while it detects RNA in minute quantities, caution needs to be applied to the results as it often does not detect the infectious virus. This detection problem is ubiquitous for RNA viruses detection. SARS-CoV, MERS, Influenza Ebola and Zika viral RNA can also be detected long after the disappearance of the infectious virus.

Why does this matter? Because when it comes to Covid-19, insufficient attention has been paid to how PCR results actually relate to disease. The harms of false-positive results can be substantial: operations can be delayed or cancelled; patients are kept in hospital, just in case; further testing is required; in some cases, it drives local lockdowns. The results of our recent systematic review on viral infectiousness indicate that cycle thresholds are essential to understand who is infectious, and consequently, the extent of any outbreak and for controlling transmission.

When it comes to dealing with this ongoing pandemic, it is clear that Covid-19 – and our limited understanding of it – is testing our decision-making skills to the limit when it comes to diagnosing infections. And without a better understanding of what test results really show us, it seems that while coronavirus is at a low prevalence in our communities, mass testing might cause more harm than good if the nuances of test threshold are not understood.

WRITTEN BY
Prof Carl Heneghan & Tom Jefferson
Carl Heneghan is professor of evidence-based medicine at the University of Oxford and director of the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine Tom Jefferson is a senior associate tutor and honorary research fellow at the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, University of Oxford"

https://www.spectato...harm-than-good-

#8291 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 04:29 PM

B.C. has broken another grim record in on the ongoing pandemic, with 165 new COVID-19 cases diagnosed in the last 24 hours, health officials have confirmed.

https://www.vicnews....4-hours-period/

what was the previous record?  if the media is going to use lines like this they must put it in context.

#8292 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:22 AM

I don't understand the glove thing unless they're a fresh pair right as you enter the store and are discarded in the garbage bin on the way out.  

I do that, nitrile. Too much soap/alcohol is bad for hands.

Edited by todd, 18 September 2020 - 07:22 AM.

#8293 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:35 AM

I also have a box in the trunk for used gloves. I reuse them after three weeks of being decontaminated. Truth is that I only go into a store maybe once a month at most. Not paranoid just high risk. 

• Ismo07 and todd like this

#8294 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:37 AM

I reuse them after three weeks of being decontaminated. 

what about everyday bacteria?

#8295 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:49 AM

my candida is permanent.

It's only about 150 years old.

#8296 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:52 AM

"Relief plan looks like an election platform"

"... realized they could capitalize on the unity of purpose that provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix were creating.."

https://www.timescol...form-1.24205267

#8297 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 08:11 AM

refusing service because one does not wear a mask is the same as refusing service because of skin colour. 2020 is getting weirder and weirder.

the spin has mostly been against this person:  https://globalnews.c...culating-online

#8298 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 08:12 AM

Cases don't equate infections. 

"PCR detection of viruses is helpful so long as its limitations are understood; while it detects RNA in minute quantities, caution needs to be applied to the results as it often does not detect the infectious virus. This detection problem is ubiquitous for RNA viruses detection. SARS-CoV, MERS, Influenza Ebola and Zika viral RNA can also be detected long after the disappearance of the infectious virus.

Why does this matter? Because when it comes to Covid-19, insufficient attention has been paid to how PCR results actually relate to disease. The harms of false-positive results can be substantial: operations can be delayed or cancelled; patients are kept in hospital, just in case; further testing is required; in some cases, it drives local lockdowns. The results of our recent systematic review on viral infectiousness indicate that cycle thresholds are essential to understand who is infectious, and consequently, the extent of any outbreak and for controlling transmission.

When it comes to dealing with this ongoing pandemic, it is clear that Covid-19 – and our limited understanding of it – is testing our decision-making skills to the limit when it comes to diagnosing infections. And without a better understanding of what test results really show us, it seems that while coronavirus is at a low prevalence in our communities, mass testing might cause more harm than good if the nuances of test threshold are not understood.

WRITTEN BY
Prof Carl Heneghan & Tom Jefferson
Carl Heneghan is professor of evidence-based medicine at the University of Oxford and director of the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine Tom Jefferson is a senior associate tutor and honorary research fellow at the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, University of Oxford"

https://www.spectato...harm-than-good-

I would agree if they were testing randomly and all over, but typically tests are done on folks that show symptoms so when the professor says often I'd hazard that word should likely be rarely.  Often makes it sound like a high % of people who show symptoms have already had it.  That seems like a reach and from someone who is trying to minimize testing sadly.  Sometimes I think people want to be heard...

• Brayvehart likes this

#8299 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 08:27 AM

notice how hard is is to find any test numbers or new daily death numbers in the media reports these days?  good news does not sell.  they love the "cases" statistic.  or cumulative cases even better.  that's a new "record" every day!

the other day ontario or quebec i forget which had the highest new cases since june 1st.  but double the testing numbers.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 September 2020 - 08:29 AM.

#8300 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 08:47 AM

notice how hard is is to find any test numbers or new daily death numbers in the media reports these days?  good news does not sell.  they love the "cases" statistic.  or cumulative cases even better.  that's a new "record" every day!

the other day ontario or quebec i forget which had the highest new cases since june 1st.  but double the testing numbers.

yeah news, sadly, has been like that since I was 8.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users