COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates in Victoria, BC

• Please log in to reply
26251 replies to this topic

#14121 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:33 PM

@dasmo could you kindly **** off with your fearmongering?

Over 6 million covid-19 vaccines have been administered in Canada. Zero deaths have been attributed to receiving the vaccine. There are a handful (14, last I checked) deaths under investigation in people that have received the vaccine but could have died from any number of ways.

Meanwhile, just over 1 million people have been infected by covid 19 in Canada, and 23,000 have died.

What's safer, covid-19 or the vaccine?

In this short time frame, it appears like the vaccine is safer. I think that's Dasmo's whole point though. Pray you don't eat those words. and the vaccine ends up worse than Covid. Personally, I think it's unlikely, but it also isn't impossible... but I'm not a medical expert, let alone a vaccine scientist.

#14122 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 April 2021 - 08:41 PM

We should be taking this data serious and we should be talking about it so people know to report events. This is an experiment after all. Make no doubts about that fact. This is the trial. Contrary to what is projected by the media and the authorities these products are not approved for use. They are using a loophole created by us being in a state of emergency to bypass the usual process. 

Hey Dasmo, got any stats on other medications with scary side effects?  Perhaps birth control pills, heart meds, etc...?  

• Brayvehart likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#14123 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:09 PM

Hey Dasmo, got any stats on other medications with scary side effects?  Perhaps birth control pills, heart meds, etc...?  

Hey all..

Let's respect each others opinions on this vaccine program. Go easy on one another, it's been a tough year.

It's obvious that it has been rushed through for good reason. However, I have zero trust in the companies behind the vaccines, and even less in government. That's a problem for me. I have a couple of friends in the medical community. One of them can't wait for the vaccine, the other won't entertain it. 

This is not easy, I only hope for the best for everyone. 

TFord

• spanky123 and Matt R. like this

#14124 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 07 April 2021 - 03:07 AM

A new preprint study out of the U.K., which is still awaiting the peer review process, looked at a small group of such "long COVID" patients. It found those who had received at least one dose of the vaccine had "a small overall improvement" in long COVID symptoms and a "decrease in worsening symptoms" when compared to the unvaccinated patients.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...cines-1.5976738

#14125 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 03:45 AM

Canada is ignoring the science on vaccines....

https://financialpos...on-second-doses

Yeah but it’s better politics to give everybody something.

#14126 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:03 AM

not one sentence in that article addresses the upside of getting as many first doses done as possible.
  • vortoozo likes this

#14127 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:12 AM

Hey all..

Let's respect each others opinions on this vaccine program. Go easy on one another, it's been a tough year.

It's obvious that it has been rushed through for good reason. However, I have zero trust in the companies behind the vaccines, and even less in government. That's a problem for me. I have a couple of friends in the medical community. One of them can't wait for the vaccine, the other won't entertain it. 

TFord

Depends on the vaccine. Nobody I know wants the AZ vaccine. The risk of blot clots and its ineffectiveness against variants are deal breakers. Is it better than nothing, perhaps, but it is not better than waiting for another option. 

I am really disappointed in Dr. BH first ignoring the safety issues and now downplaying the impact of variants. If people are to make informed decisions then they need to be given the information.

#14128 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:15 AM

Trudeau yesterday stated that all Canadians would be eligible for vaccinations by the end of the summer. Just slipped the delay in there. US will be in that position in 2 weeks.

Edited by spanky123, 07 April 2021 - 05:15 AM.

#14129 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:11 AM

I will, right after I get back from Whistler.. Mike wanna go for a beer at and enclosed patio?

Sure thing, right after you get back from Whistler.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14130 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:20 AM

Canucks' COVID-19 outbreak grows to 18 players with Virtanen added to protocol list
18 of the 22 players on Vancouver's active roster are now on protocol list
https://www.cbc.ca/s...ril-6-1.5977316

In this new study, published in the journal ACS Central Science, scientists from the University of Oxford and the University of Southampton, worked together to characterise the SARS-CoV-2 spikes manufactured by the cells presented with the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine. The Oxford work was led by Professors Teresa Lambe, Peijun Zhang and Sarah Gilbert and Professor Max Crispin led the work in Southampton.

The Scientists exposed a range of cells in vitro to the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine. Using an imaging technique known as cryo-electron microscopy (cryoEM) they took thousands of images which they then combined to build up a clear picture of the resulting protein spikes on the cells. Professor Peijun Zhang, of the University of Oxford and the Electron Bio-Imaging Centre (eBIC) at Diamond Light Source, who led the imaging work said, “CryoEM is an immensely powerful technique which enabled us to visualise the dense array of spikes that had been manufactured and presented on the surface of the cells”.

Further chemical analysis of the glycans that coat the newly developed protein spikes revealed that they bear a high resemblance to those surrounding the SARS-CoV-2 spikes. This is an essential feature of the vaccine as it means that it can deliver close mimics of the coronavirus that are important in triggering the immune response needed to protect against COVID-19.

Professor Crispin said, “In this study we set out to see how closely the vaccine induced spikes resembled those of the infectious virus. We were really pleased to see a large amount of native-like spikes.”

https://www.alphagal...y/ItemId/206654

Prostitutes in the Brazilian city of Belo Horizonte have gone on a week-long strike, urging the government to give them prioritised COVID shots alongside other “front line” workers, the AFP reports.
https://sputniknews....iority-workers/

לפי משרד הבריאות בברזיל, ביממה האחרונה מתו שם 4,195 בני אדם. מדובר בפעם הראשונה שברזיל מדווחת על יותר מ-4,000 מתים ביממה, ועל מספר נורא שכזה דיווחו בעבר רק שתי מדינות אחרות, ארה"ב ופרו. מפרוץ המגפה מתו בברזיל כבר כמעט 337,000 חולי קורונה, ומספר הנדבקים המאומתים עומד שם על יותר מ-13 מיליון. בשני הנתונים הללו היא מדורגת שנייה בעולם אחרי ארה"ב, שם מתו כבר יותר מ-555,000 בני אדם ואובחנו יותר מ-31 מיליון נדבקים.

כמה מומחי בריאות מזהירים שמערכת הבריאות בברזיל נמצאת על סף קריסה, וכי היא נמצאת במסלול שעלול להביאה אל מניין מתים גבוה אף יותר מזה של ארה"ב, למרות שאוכלוסייתה המונה 210 מיליון איש מהווה רק שני שלישים מאוכלוסיית ארה"ב. "זה כמו כור גרעיני שנוצרה בו תגובת שרשרת שיצאה משליטה", אמר לסוכנות הידיעות רויטרס מיגל מיקולליס, רופא ברזילאי שמשמש גם כחוקר באוניברסיטת דיוק שבארה"ב. "זו פוקושימה ביולוגית", הוא הוסיף בהתייחסות לאסון ביפן ב-2011.

According to the Brazilian Ministry of Health, 4,195 people died there in the last day. This is the first time that Brazil has reported more than 4,000 deaths a day, and only two other countries, the United States and Peru, have reported such an awful number in the past. In both figures, it ranks second in the world after the United States, where more than 555,000 people have already died and more than 31 million people have been diagnosed.

Some health experts warn that Brazil's health care system is on the verge of collapse, and that it is on a path that could lead to an even higher death toll than that of the United States, even though its 210 million people make up only two - thirds of the U.S. population. "It's like a nuclear reactor with a chain reaction out of control," Miguel Mikollis, a Brazilian doctor who also serves as a researcher at Duke University in the United States, told Reuters. "This is a biological Fukushima," he added, referring to the 2011 disaster in Japan.

https://www.ynet.co....icle/SJgHzgsB00

Spanish region suspends use of AstraZeneca jabs again
Suspension in Castile and Leon region comes ahead of European Medicines Agency’s expected statement on vaccine
https://www.aa.com.t...s-again/2201158

New Zealand announced Tuesday it will open a long-anticipated travel bubble with Australia on April 19 now that both countries have been successful in stamping out the spread of the coronavirus.

The start of quarantine-free travel between the neighboring nations will come as a relief to families who have been separated by the pandemic as well as to struggling tourist operators.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said health officials believe the risk of the virus being transmitted from Australia is low and that travel is now safe. 

“The bubble will give our economic recovery a boost and represents a world-leading arrangement of safely opening up international travel while continuing to pursue a strategy of elimination and keeping the virus out,” Ardern said.

Australia had previously allowed New Zealanders to arrive without going into quarantine but New Zealand had taken a more cautious approach, requiring travelers from Australia to spend two weeks in quarantine upon arrival.

Both countries have managed to keep out the virus by putting up barriers to the outside world, including strict quarantine requirements for travelers from countries where the virus is rampant.

https://thediplomat....ia-on-april-19/

TOKYO: Japan's western region of Osaka will hold the Olympic torch relay in a park without spectators instead of on public roads, as record coronavirus infections prompted its government to declare a medical emergency on Wednesday (Apr 7).
https://www.channeln...rgency-14573204

A quarantine violator in General Trias, Cavite, died on Saturday, April 3, after being forced to do 300 rounds of a pumping exercise akin to squats, his family said.

According to the Facebook post of Adrian Luceña, the victim's cousin, 28-year-old Darren Manaog Peñaredondo died after being forced to do 300 rounds of the exercise in Barangay Tejero on April 1.

Peñaredondo was nabbed by village guards (barangay tanod) for violating the curfew on April 1 after he was seen buying drinking water past 6 pm.

https://www.rappler....rounds-exercise

MOSCOW, April 7. /TASS/. The vaccine EpiVacCorona will be able to protect the vaccinated at least for one year, the chief of the Yekaterinburg Research Institute of Viral Infections (an affiliate of the center Vector), Alexander Semyonov, said on Wednesday.
https://tass.com/society/1275009

Lavrov reveals Russia might produce Indian coronavirus jab
He also noted that the Russian Direct Investment Fund was in the process of inking contracts with several Indian contractors to manufacture the Russian-made coronavirus vaccine Sputnik V in India
https://tass.com/politics/1274653

Biden announces all U.S. adults eligible for COVID-19 vaccine by April 19
http://www.ecns.cn/n...ha9129677.shtml

COVID-19 is so contagious that even a single breach of social distancing measures can have far-reaching consequences.

A case in point: An explosion of new COVID-19 cases traced to five people who joined in on a bar's opening night in rural Illinois in February.

Four of the five who attended the crowded gathering (the bar's capacity was 100 people) were already experiencing symptoms suggestive of COVID-19, researchers said. A fifth attendee was asymptomatic but had tested positive on his or her COVID-19 test the day before hitting the bar.

A total of 46 new cases of COVID-19 followed. Twenty-six bar customers and three staff members were infected, the case report found, while another 17 people who weren't at the bar that night were infected as contagion spread to others.

"This situation shows that transmission originating in a business, such as a bar, not only affects the patrons and employees of the bar, but the entire community," said Illinois Department of Public Health researcher Shelby Daniel-Wayman.

https://medicalxpres...rowded-bar.html

Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif., which includes Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park, a separate park roughly themed after the state of California, will reopen on April 30.
https://www.marketwa...nes-11617803395

The Department of Justice has received reports that fraudsters are creating fraudulent COVID-19 vaccine surveys for consumers to fill out with the promise of a prize or cash at the conclusion of the survey. In reality, the surveys are used to steal money from consumers and unlawfully capture consumers’ personal information.

Consumers receive the surveys via email and text message, and are told that, as a gift for filling out the survey, they can choose from various free prizes, such as an iPad Pro. The messages claim that the consumers need only pay shipping and handling fees to receive their prize. Victims provide their credit card information and are charged for shipping and handling fees, but never receive the promised prize. Victims also are exposing their personally identifiable information (PII) to scammers, thereby increasing the probability of identity theft.

Unless from a known and verified source, consumers should never click on links in text messages or emails claiming to be a vaccine survey.

Schemes that use links embedded in unsolicited text messages and emails in attempts to obtain personally identifiable information are commonly referred to as phishing schemes. Phishing messages may look like they come from government agencies, financial intuitions, shipping companies, and social media companies, among many others. Carefully examine any message purporting to be from a company and do not click on a link in an unsolicited email or text message. Remember that companies generally do not contact you to ask for your username or password. When in doubt, contact the entity purportedly sending you the message, but do not rely on any contact information in the potentially fraudulent message. 

If you receive a text message or email claiming to be a COVID-19 vaccine survey and containing a link or other contact information, please report the communication to the National Center for Disaster Fraud (NCDF) by calling 866-720-5721 or via the NCDF Web Complaint Form at: www.justice.gov/disaster-fraud. Intellectual property crimes such as these also may be reported to federal law enforcement at the National Intellectual Property Rights Coordination Center (IPR Center) at http://www.IPRCenter.gov.

https://www.justice....ne-survey-scams
https://www.mentalfl...9-vaccine-scams

Edited by amor de cosmos, 07 April 2021 - 07:21 AM.

#14131 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:21 AM

Here's a graph of Texas. As you can see after rescinding covid restrictions numbers went down as expected.

Attached Images

• texas.jpg

#14132 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:15 AM

Trudeau yesterday stated that all Canadians would be eligible for vaccinations by the end of the summer. Just slipped the delay in there. US will be in that position in 2 weeks.

September has been the federal "goal" for quite some time for every Canadian to have received first dose, that's not a change in policy.

Individual provinces have moved up that goal to Canada Day because of the strategy to delay administering dose 2.

The US "goal" is to be put in line to get your first dose. This is not an apples to apples comparison. US is currently at 32% having received first dose. They will not be at 70-80% (assuming that 20-30% of the population do not wish to receive or cannot receive the vaccine) within 2 weeks.

#14133 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:18 AM

Depends on the vaccine. Nobody I know wants the AZ vaccine. The risk of blot clots and its ineffectiveness against variants are deal breakers. Is it better than nothing, perhaps, but it is not better than waiting for another option. 

I am really disappointed in Dr. BH first ignoring the safety issues and now downplaying the impact of variants. If people are to make informed decisions then they need to be given the information.

If the AZ vaccine becomes available in Victoria this morning, I will have my shot by this afternoon. It is less effective against the variants, but it is not ineffective against them. There is a big difference between effectiveness dropping from 80% to 60% because of a mutation, versus no protection at all.

• vortoozo and Brayvehart like this

#14134 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:19 AM

Hey all..

TFord

I'm all for listening to different opinions. My issue with Dasmo is the constant pressing of this agenda every few days. If you're not going to listen to the science & public health recommendations, that's fine, it's a personal choice. As long as you are taking alternate measures to ensure you don't get sick or spread anything if you do.

But the relentless fearmongering is not.

• Brayvehart likes this

#14135 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,505 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:46 AM

Israel’s healthcare system has also mandated that all employees — doctors, nurses, administrators and support staff alike — receive the coronavirus vaccine. If they refuse, they will be transferred to jobs that do not involve contact with high-risk patients.

https://www.latimes....n-to-workplaces

Literally forcing the Jewish population to be medically experimented on. It's a fact these are experimental. It's a fact there has been no animal test. It's a fact they are not being informed of these facts. It's a fact we don't know the research risk. It's a fact that coercion does not equate voluntary. 

0rUP0Hs.jpg

#14136 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:49 AM

Literally forcing the Jewish population to be medically experimented on.

this does not sound like "forcing" anyone.  less than 75% of israelis are jews too.

Israel’s healthcare system has also mandated that all employees — doctors, nurses, administrators and support staff alike — receive the coronavirus vaccine. If they refuse, they will be transferred to jobs that do not involve contact with high-risk patients.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 April 2021 - 08:56 AM.

#14137 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,505 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:52 AM

I'm all for listening to different opinions. My issue with Dasmo is the constant pressing of this agenda every few days. If you're not going to listen to the science & public health recommendations, that's fine, it's a personal choice. As long as you are taking alternate measures to ensure you don't get sick or spread anything if you do.

But the relentless fearmongering is not.

Are you actually accusing me of fear mongering? That is rich.... Your TV is non stop fear mongering. My agenda is to help people save themselves but informing them of what they are not seeing on the TV. Information is the opposite of fear mongering. I'm not afraid but presumptuous denial is not the way to go. It stresses me out coming here to do this though. Do you think I like doing this? I also don't want to be stressed but i come out of a sense of duty to my fellow humans. 

Edited by dasmo, 07 April 2021 - 09:00 AM.

#14138 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,505 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:58 AM

this does not sound like "forcing" anyone.

Coercion is force. This is just the first step. Accept this then it's another....

#14139 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:08 AM

Are you actually accusing me of fear mongering? That is rich.... Your TV is non stop fear mongering. My agenda is to help people save themselves but informing them of what they are not seeing on the TV. Information is the opposite of fear mongering. I'm not afraid but presumptuous denial is not the way to go. It stresses me out coming here to do this though. Do you think I like doing this? I also don't want to be stressed but i come out of a sense of duty to my fellow humans. 

You add no value because it flies in the face of the most reasoned advice. Yes, we are in uncharted territory but we have to go where the science points us.

You say the governments of the world should have abandoned  developing vaccines and let the virus run rampant over the globe. I don't think that approach was ever advisable or even possible. So I don't actually know what you're trying to advocate.

• vortoozo and Brayvehart like this

#14140 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:41 AM

If the AZ vaccine becomes available in Victoria this morning, I will have my shot by this afternoon. It is less effective against the variants, but it is not ineffective against them. There is a big difference between effectiveness dropping from 80% to 60% because of a mutation, versus no protection at all.

You should get your chance shortly and sorry but it is 10% effective. https://www.forbes.c...sh=632d42cf6526

Edited by spanky123, 07 April 2021 - 09:42 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users