Local businesses permanently closed amid 2020 COVID-19 crisis

• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#381 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:27 PM

Broadmead is my local Cdn Tire, and I've driven to, and then quickly away from there a couple of times upon seeing 25+ people lined up to get in.

Having said that, I was also by there a couple of weeks ago and simply walked right in. 

I'm now hip to the fact that if you don't need to physically look around the store, basically if you know exactly what you want ... and if you simply can't wait a week or two for Amazon ... then online order and curb side pick up is the ticket.

It've done it a couple of times at Home Depot here in town, completely bypassing the 30 or so people waiting in line to get into the store - into the parking lot, loaded up, and out again in 5 or 10 minutes.

• lanforod likes this

#382 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:21 AM

View Royal Canadian Tire has a line all the time, but we're a rather high-density neighbourhood of stratas with a lot of home and yard projects going on right now. If one doesn't time it right, on weekends or just after work there is a line around the auto centre and beyond.

~ Jasmine ~

#383 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:41 AM

haven't seen one at Broadmead yet. I suppose it could happen. No one counting either when i went in, though maybe thats changed, its been a couple weeks.

I can vouch to the existence of line ups at the Canadian tire in Broadmead, at least the many times I have tried to go over the last few weeks.

#384 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:12 AM

Yup. I’ve Canadian Tire hopped a couple of times and have given up 100%.

Now I go to Lordco for auto parts, Walmart for soil/garden stuff, Sleggs for hardware/tools and a few other places as I stumble upon them.

Some stores are ridiculously overboard with their questioning and that leads me to believe there could be some people who are extremely worried about exposure and their employer has permitted stepped up questioning/asking all patrons to use hand sanitizer and limiting relatively large stores to very small groups of shoppers.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#385 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 01:49 PM

My husband likes Home Hardware for small hardware items. No lines and a pretty good selection. Plus he gets a senior's discount since he turned 65.

We drove out to Sidney today to go to the Sidney bakery. They always have such a good selection, same today. Four people allowed in at once, only waited a couple of minutes. The hard part was trying to quickly make up my mind so as not to hold things up. Their stuff is excellent. Such a breath of fresh air going to Sidney. It's clean, the park by the water is immaculate, nothing scungy out there. Sidewalks are clean and they have flowers in their planters, not tatty-looked grasses and things with few flowers.

• Matt R. likes this

#386 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 03:48 PM

My husband likes Home Hardware for small hardware items. No lines and a pretty good selection. Plus he gets a senior's discount since he turned 65.

We drove out to Sidney today to go to the Sidney bakery. They always have such a good selection, same today. Four people allowed in at once, only waited a couple of minutes. The hard part was trying to quickly make up my mind so as not to hold things up. Their stuff is excellent. Such a breath of fresh air going to Sidney. It's clean, the park by the water is immaculate, nothing scungy out there. Sidewalks are clean and they have flowers in their planters, not tatty-looked grasses and things with few flowers.

Please take a sarcasm pill befor reading below:

Please stop posting these over the top comments about Sidney. We are full. There are no houses for sale or rent. Please visit us , then leave.

Yours Truly,

Sidney.

• Matt R., Redd42, grantpalin and 1 other like this

#387 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 04:31 PM

Please delete all mention of slegg too. It was my secret hardware place.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#388 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 05:56 PM

Sidney is lovely, lol but I don't want to move that far out. My husband said it was like visiting another country it was so different from Victoria....in a good way.

Edited by mbjj, 27 May 2020 - 05:57 PM.

#389 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:47 PM

It is amazing what a difference a mayor who cares about his/her municipality can make.

I also concur that Sidney is full. Move along now.  ;)

#390 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:25 PM

Omg the fritters and doughnuts there, the dole whips at fish on fifth, the everything at Farmers Daughter.. Sidney is a great stop on the way home from Victoria. If it weren’t for the Dutch Bakery I probably wouldn’t go downtown Victoria anymore.

Matt.

#391 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:33 PM

OMG - will definitely not being going to Best Buy with that gong show. Was next on my list - need a new printer. Went to Staples today - just walked in, no line up, no questioning. Usual size crowd for Staples when it isn't back to school time - maybe a dozen customers?

Staples also does free delivery, I needed a new printer cartridge, delivered the next day.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#392 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:14 AM

Yes, we like the Dutch Bakery but the Sidney Bakery is more like a 1960s style bakery. Lots of old favorites and very good prices. I always buy my daughter some treats too as she doesn't have a car. Just think of all the unfortunate folks with no car who can't easily get to the Sidney Bakery.

My husband is still raving about Sidney, lol. I think the contrast between Victoria and Sidney is even more noticeable than just a couple of years ago.

My mum had a cousin who lived in the penthouse of the block, not right across from the wharf out there, but the next building towards town. What a view she had up there.

• Matt R. likes this

#393 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:44 PM

Best part of the year, when our insurance adjuster brings a couple dozen doughnuts from Sidney Bakery in to the office and we all end up in sugar comas. Worth it.

• Mike K., Matt R., todd and 1 other like this

~ Jasmine ~

#394 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:38 PM

My husband is still raving about Sidney, lol. I think the contrast between Victoria and Sidney is even more noticeable than just a couple of years ago.

Sidney has certainly not changed at all, and the previous Council definitely did not stamp a slough of Development Permits right before the election meaning there will not be a large number of new residences coming onto the market in the imminent future. Nope, just a sleepy town full of seniors and nothing else to see here.

[/sarcasm]

#395 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:53 PM

I bet this is a great time to sell a house under the YYJ flight paths :)
  • todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#396 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:59 PM

I bet this is a great time to sell a house under the YYJ flight paths :)

This reminds me of going to an open house while the new Admirals (near Craigflower) bridge was being built. Eerily quiet on a Saturday. Property was first over from the bridge. Real estate agent swore the noise wouldn't be much different when the bridge re-opened. Yeah, sure.....

• Mike K. likes this

#397 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:53 PM

My in-laws live in Sidney and they can't believe how much its changed, no parking anywhere, people everywhere, building everywhere etc. etc.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#398 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:56 PM

My in-laws live in Sidney and they can't believe how much its changed, no parking anywhere, people everywhere, building everywhere etc. etc.

Give it 10 more years and they won't recognize it at all. 

Edited by exc911ence, 28 May 2020 - 07:56 PM.

#399 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:09 AM

We just found Sidney to be so clean! I guess we are conditioned to Victoria with lots of filth and overgrown boulevards, and tatty "not" flower beds.

#400 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:19 PM

I fondly remember when Sidney was a rundown low class bedroom community with some of the best dive bars around. That was when dive bars weren't cool too.
  • Mike K., todd and Casual Kev like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users