COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#2461 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 07:02 AM

BREAKING: New US jobless claims hit a 54-year low of 166,000 — the lowest since 1968 and the second lowest reading in history.

#2462 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 07:33 AM

BREAKING: New US jobless claims hit a 54-year low of 166,000 — the lowest since 1968 and the second lowest reading in history.

And yet stock markets tank again. This is the world we live in.

#2463 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 07:41 PM

Walmart in the US is raising it's truck drivers salaries from $88k to $110k, in an effort to retain and attract new drivers.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2464 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 07:48 AM

And yet stock markets tank again. This is the world we live in.

And rebound today...  Like the market has typically, in the world we live in...

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2465 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 07:10 AM

Hey VW, didn't we say last year that inflation would hit 10-15% while our Government leaders told us that it would be 3.5% and subside by the end of 2021?!

YoY PPI increase of 11.2% in the US! https://www.dailymai...-high-11-2.html

Don't worry though, it is only because of Putin and will subside soon (meanwhile the elites are dumping their inflation sensitive stocks as fast as they can).

Edited by spanky123, 13 April 2022 - 07:11 AM.

#2466 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 07:17 AM

And now not surprisingly, the BCGEU now wants 5 plus 5, or the rate of inflation.

The union’s proposal, tabled on March 8, was for a two-year deal. The first year proposed COLA protection or a 5% general wage increase (whichever is greater). The second year proposed COLA or a 5% general wage increase, which would include a flat rate per hour that would positively impact the lowest wage workers in the public service. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 April 2022 - 07:19 AM.

#2467 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 07:22 AM

^ Which exposes the other 'big lie'. Our political liars have been telling us that we can inflate our way out of debt. They say that the debt will decrease over time because growth rates will be huge (due to inflation).

That only works when a Government is running balanced budgets. As inflation increases so do Government costs and when you are running deficits those costs can outweigh the gains. Of course that doesn't take into consideration stagflation which is where many economists now say we are heading (high inflation but no growth).

I would be happy to pay the BCGEU employees 10% more if they agreed to reduce headcount and dead weight by 10% but of course you know that will never happen.

Edited by spanky123, 13 April 2022 - 07:22 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2468 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 12:57 PM

Why Seattle-area offices are among the emptiest in the nation

Last week, offices in the Seattle metro area were only a third full — an improvement from early January, but far below what some U.S. metros are seeing, according to Kastle Systems, which tracks office occupancy.

^ Seattle Times.

Maybe because they have top Karen.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 April 2022 - 12:58 PM.

#2469 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 01:45 PM

Why Seattle-area offices are among the emptiest in the nation

Last week, offices in the Seattle metro area were only a third full — an improvement from early January, but far below what some U.S. metros are seeing, according to Kastle Systems, which tracks office occupancy.

^ Seattle Times.

Maybe because they have top Karen.

Still due to people working from home?  There must be some % of folks that have pivoted into working for themselves.  

What's with the low employment rate?  Is Trump taking credit for that yet?  Is Biden?  Trudeau? Putin?  Why are there so many jobs?  I thought all the businesses closed up....  You know due to the government lockdowns closed all the doors.

Edited by Ismo07, 21 April 2022 - 01:47 PM.

#2470 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,504 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 03:36 PM

They didn't force my friends restaurant to close, They just told them they could have no one come inside, then at 50% capacity or less if they wore a mask and summited to the experiment. Then they gave them rent subsidies, free loans and payed 75% of their staff's salary. This kept them from closing the doors. 

• Matt R. likes this

#2471 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,050 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 04:31 PM

^ indeed!

#2472 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 07:38 AM

They didn't force my friends restaurant to close, They just told them they could have no one come inside, then at 50% capacity or less if they wore a mask and summited to the experiment. Then they gave them rent subsidies, free loans and payed 75% of their staff's salary. This kept them from closing the doors. 

Ah so the restrictions closed the doors..?  Thanks for the clarification  So your friend's restaurant has closed along with many other small businesses (at least reported) but unemployment is at an all time low? Where are all these people that have lost their jobs?  No restaurant that I patronized in the last 5 years has closed and over that time I have been to many.  They all are looking for staff however.

#2473 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 08:07 AM

I like how the 25 cents in McDonalds makes or breaks the reusable cup program in Vancouver. They don’t mind getting or giving Covid if someone can save 25 cents.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 April 2022 - 08:07 AM.

#2474 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 08:32 AM

Ah so the restrictions closed the doors..?  Thanks for the clarification  So your friend's restaurant has closed along with many other small businesses (at least reported) but unemployment is at an all time low? Where are all these people that have lost their jobs?  No restaurant that I patronized in the last 5 years has closed and over that time I have been to many.  They all are looking for staff however.

I think that most small business, reasonably well managed, came out ahead during covid. Between the $60K loan ($20K of it free), rent, wage and other subsidies and the income they generated with optimized hours and costs they did ok. 

The crunch for most will come next year. Most economists are predicting a recession mid-2023 as consumer funds, saved during the pandemic, are spent and rising inflation and interest rates  stall growth. Those factors, plus the looming repayment of the $40K loan will sober a lot of people. 

#2475 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,504 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 08:34 AM

Your reading comprehension is off. Try again.

#2476 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 10:13 AM

Your reading comprehension is off. Try again.

Explain it better then...  I say one thing, you try to change the terminology but basically you are saying the same thing in the end...  Say what you mean, that will help my reading... Good businesses survive...

I think that most small business, reasonably well managed, came out ahead during covid. Between the $60K loan ($20K of it free), rent, wage and other subsidies and the income they generated with optimized hours and costs they did ok. 

The crunch for most will come next year. Most economists are predicting a recession mid-2023 as consumer funds, saved during the pandemic, are spent and rising inflation and interest rates  stall growth. Those factors, plus the looming repayment of the $40K loan will sober a lot of people. 

Yes some of that makes very good sense...  Well managed survive..  Just the sentiment seemed like small businesses have been closing all over due to restrictions, which really wasn't the case as a rule.  Again though where are all these people that lost their employment?

Edited by Ismo07, 22 April 2022 - 10:15 AM.

#2477 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,504 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 10:23 AM

Explain it better then...  I say one thing, you try to change the terminology but basically you are saying the same thing in the end...  Say what you mean, that will help my reading... Good businesses survive...

I said clearly at the end that the doors were kept open (because of the government money). The measures would have closed the doors otherwise. Nothing to do with quality. But yes maybe "good" in another sense.... 

I think the hate in your heart taints your perception. 

#2478 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 10:49 AM

I said clearly at the end that the doors were kept open (because of the government money). The measures would have closed the doors otherwise. Nothing to do with quality. But yes maybe "good" in another sense.... 

I think the hate in your heart taints your perception. 

People have said over and over that small businesses have shut down due to restrictions.  That's it, pretty clear.  I have no hate for anyone or anything...  Where are all the workers that lost their jobs is still the question.  How can we have all these people that were getting CERB and employers are struggling to find them.

#2479 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 12:16 PM

Lots of retirements and upwards progression without the human capital to fill positions. COVID had a lot of people walk away early and a labour migration occurred. The jobs that can’t get filled are typically the ones that were not ideal prior to COVID and are now un-fillable.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2480 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 01:02 PM

Lots of retirements and upwards progression without the human capital to fill positions. COVID had a lot of people walk away early and a labour migration occurred. The jobs that can’t get filled are typically the ones that were not ideal prior to COVID and are now un-fillable.

And all this time I was hearing it was a Covid issue and thousands were losing their jobs?  Hmmm..  Service industry jobs weren't ideal prior to Covid...  Odd..

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users