COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#2741 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:36 AM

At a certain point… a simple NO is required. Most times the bully then backs off. Now that the hush money has dried up and the inflation resulting from printing trillions to advertise the problem to create the reaction and purchase the solution is in full swing we will feel the effects.

They could have at least spent a few billion on bolstering our healthcare infrastructure. Instead they fired thousands of experienced people. Others quit. Others now don’t want to enter the profession.
  • Nparker likes this

#2742 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:37 AM

For a while restaurateurs were telling me the subsidies were in fact rewarding less business in order to meet the subsidy requirements. One fellow said the subsidies made it so they had some of their best profits ever, with far less work, and the simplicity of take-out only. The industry also saw a tip shift from 15% to 20%, which workers love.

However, the challenge isn’t the market (Victorians love to eat out, order in), it’s the political landscape. When you’re paying $3,000/month in property taxes to the municipality, that eventually starts to turn the tables as inflation roars.

Prices are up everywhere, which means tips are up as well. Barely any grumbling over what two years ago would have been astronomical pricing, the vast majority of people “get it”.

All I’m hearing, however, is that volume is lower than anticipated this summer. Still very busy, but off or flat from last year.

#2743 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:38 AM

Yes, it’s a mess. But if hindsight was how we conducted our affairs, we’d all be rich.

We did the best we could have, at the time. We didn’t know what we were getting into, and those times were bleak.

Looking back everyone’s entitled to expert reflection, for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2744 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:39 AM

The FOI Epi guy also pays wages in excess of industry standard. Does he get correspondingly better productivity? Probably not. That might be part of his problem.

Why own “two bakeries and a restaurant” and barely scrape by? Sounds like owning a Subway would be less headache for the return.

He does indeed have a great team!I wonder how much damage was done regarding Paul’s motor inn.

#2745 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:42 AM

Prices are up everywhere, which means tips are up as well. Barely any grumbling over what two years ago would have been astronomical pricing, the vast majority of people “get it”.

All I’m hearing, however, is that volume is lower than anticipated this summer. Still very busy, but off or flat from last year.

People get it, but they’re visiting restaurants less.

You’re seeing volume declining, because it is. Yesterday I went to Fig out by the airport. Nearly $40 for two sandwiches and small side salads, no drinks. I believe the last time I went it was $30 for the same thing. And of course, the payment console presents you with a tipping option the smallest of which is 15%.

The industry is heading for unstable times at the rate prices are increasing and the rate tip expectations are rising.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2746 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:43 AM

...We did the best we could have, at the time...

Did we though?

#2747 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:43 AM

Orders to stop doing business are not laws that were debated in parliament and brought to royal accent. However the Charter states very clearly it is a fundamental right to make a living. They could have just got up, stood up, stood up for their rights….

#2748 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:44 AM

We could have fared worse, by striving to do even better.

Know it all.

#2749 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:47 AM

...The industry is heading for unstable times at the rate prices are increasing and the rate tip expectations are rising.

I can't see the justification for increased tip rates at the same time as higher restaurant prices. Are customers getting better service than when prices and tip rates were lower?

• Barrrister likes this

#2750 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:48 AM

In many cases no service at all, beyond the act of making the food.

Nobody is being served when picking up food at a restaurant, but the payment device wants 15-25% tip.

Know it all.

#2751 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:51 AM

There is no better employment, pound for pound, than a government or public sector job.

If it is so great, then why don’t you get a public sector job?

#2752 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:07 AM

Who knows, maybe one day I will. Lots of private sector workers eventually pursue the stability of government work.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#2753 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:10 AM

meanwhile....

NtGoA06.jpeg

https://www.npr.org/...xes-covid-rules

• Nparker likes this

#2754 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:12 AM

It’s great that the virus has mutated to this degree. We lucked out here.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#2755 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:13 AM

It’s great that the virus has mutated to this degree. We lucked out here.

#landriseduh

• Nparker likes this

#2756 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:14 AM

Yeah!
  • dasmo likes this

Know it all.

#2757 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:28 AM

Who knows, maybe one day I will. Lots of private sector workers eventually pursue the stability of government work.

Right now the flow is the other way. You’ll see it become a problem when you have to wait longer for services. You’re already seeing it in the passport office and health care.

#2758 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:32 AM

Yes, there’s that, too. There is an ebb and flow, with more people transitioning into private work when outlooks are positive, more pursuit of government jobs when outlooks aren’t so stable. Risk vs security, etc.

But government is also experiencing a huge retirement problem. There aren’t enough people coming in to make up the outflow.

Know it all.

#2759 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:36 AM

...But government is also experiencing a huge retirement problem...

I am not I would call it a problem.  :P

#2760 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:39 AM

Nah, you clearly weren’t doing any real work anyways. Posting on VV…
  • Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users