Photo

COVID ECONOMICS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4570 replies to this topic

#1961 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 02:37 PM

Yes, the automation that is happening is going to be a rude awakening for labour relations. Perhaps this is why Trudeau is contemplating introducing automated labour taxes.

Anyone notice that Walmart is putting up overhead cameras every few feet in the aisles. What is that for? Was thinking inventory or stock checking but that should be addressed at checkout.

#1962 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 02:47 PM

Anyone notice that Walmart is putting up overhead cameras every few feet in the aisles. What is that for? Was thinking inventory or stock checking but that should be addressed at checkout.

Likely for items that do not make it through checkout...

#1963 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 05:00 PM

I wonder if it's early days for an RFID system, that will allow you to link up to automated payment, walk into a store, pick up what you want, and push it through a scanner that instantly generates a receipt and off you go.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1964 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:19 AM

Liberals considering whether to extend expiring pandemic supports for businesses, individuals

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-soon-1.6213411

A number of the federal government's pandemic supports for individuals and businesses are set to come to an end this week. Most of them can still be extended for the short term without introducing new legislation.

Business and industry groups are acutely aware of the coming end to the pandemic supports they say are still needed to keep the economy afloat, and they say they want the federal government to take action now.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 October 2021 - 09:20 AM.

#1965 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:30 AM

and yet on the other hand the Liberals are trumpeting that there were 157,000 new jobs last month and we are back at pre-pandemic employment... 157,000 new jobs in September get Canada's economy back above pre-pandemic level | CBC News

#1966 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 10:30 AM

and yet on the other hand the Liberals are trumpeting that there were 157,000 new jobs last month and we are back at pre-pandemic employment... 157,000 new jobs in September get Canada's economy back above pre-pandemic level | CBC News

The Feds have already promised to extend the CEWS for another month until the end of November. Most businesses have now adjusted such that demand exceeds capacity which is why we are seeing inflation in prices in wages and shortages in supplies. Continuing to throw free money to further increase demand will only drive prices higher. Unfortunately for us, that is exactly what the Feds want as they are going to need double digit inflation for years to get themselves out of debt.  Now I can absorb a 15% increase in food and fuel but the people who will be hurt the most are those in the low and middle income brackets - another classic example of economic meddling which accomplishes the opposite of what is intended (or at least stated). 

Job numbers are meaningless without commentary on the quality of the work. Having said that however, it does undermine the argument that the CRB needs to be extended. Anyone who wants a job can get one.

Edited by spanky123, 17 October 2021 - 10:37 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1967 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:12 PM

Inflation now at 4.4%. Don't worry though, it will all pass shortly! 

In any event, now at the highest rate in 18 years. The 'normal' reaction for a Government would be to raise interest rates. We are broke though so we can't. Instead we keep pumping more and more money into the system.

Canada’s inflation rate hits 4.4% in September, highest level since 2003 - National | Globalnews.ca

Edited by spanky123, 20 October 2021 - 12:13 PM.

#1968 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:26 AM

No surprise but the CRB and CEWS are both being extended until May 24th albeit under new names and with new requirements yet to be defined. Another $7.5B to keep people out of the workforce!

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#1969 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:47 AM

No surprise but the CRB and CEWS are both being extended until May 24th albeit under new names and with new requirements yet to be defined. Another $7.5B to keep people out of the workforce!

That's not correct. CRB is ending as scheduled this week. Targeted support continues towards business payroll and rent in hospitality industry, for companies that meet a defined threshold of revenue reduction.

Speaking at a news conference with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Ms. Freeland announced what she said will hopefully be the “final pivot” in terms of direct income support programs.

“The existing income and business support programs will end on October 23rd as previously announced. We are moving from the very broad-based support that was appropriate at the height of our lockdowns, to more targeted measures that will provide help, where it is needed, while prudently managing government finances,” she said.

Thursday’s announcement includes two new programs: one is a wage and rent support program aimed at the tourism sector called the Tourism and Hospitality Recovery Program. The Minister said this would apply to hotels, restaurants and travel agencies that are still facing public health restrictions.

The second measure is called the Hardest Hit Business Recovery Program. It is aimed at employers that can show they have faced “deep and enduring losses” due to COVID-19, the Minister said. It will also provide wage and rent supports, up to a maximum subsidy of 50 per cent for businesses that have experienced a 75 per cent drop in revenue. These two programs will run until May 7, with support levels decreasing after March 13.

The Minister also announced a new lockdown support program in the event that the pandemic leads to new restrictions on businesses, called the Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit. It would provide $300 a week in income support for workers who are unable to work due to a lockdown.

That means the existing CRB will not be extended. However, the related programs for sickness and caregiver benefits will be extended until May 7 and the maximum duration of benefits will be increased by two weeks.

Freeland says new ‘targeted’ COVID-19 benefit programs to cost $7.4-billion, run until May 7 - The Globe and Mail

• Brayvehart likes this

#1970 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:54 AM

That's not correct. CRB is ending as scheduled this week. Targeted support continues towards business payroll and rent in hospitality industry, for companies that meet a defined threshold of revenue reduction.

Sorry but I am correct. As I said the names were changed and the CRB replacement is the CWLB. The terms are going to be different but not yet fully defined although the pay will still be $300 a week.

#1971 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:57 AM

Sorry but I am correct. As I said the names were changed and the CRB replacement is the CWLB. The terms are going to be different but not yet fully defined although the pay will still be $300 a week.

Nowhere near a replacement. CRB was pretty broad. The new program is a subsidy for people that aren't working due to a current lockdown. That eliminates pretty much all of the CRB pool.

#1972 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:18 AM

Nowhere near a replacement. CRB was pretty broad. The new program is a subsidy for people that aren't working due to a current lockdown. That eliminates pretty much all of the CRB pool.

Devil is in the details. Show me where 'lockdown' is defined.

• Wayne likes this

#1973 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 12:44 PM

My ad for a cook at $25 plus tips, benefits, meals and subsidized housing has yielded zero results in two weeks. I suppose it’s still not enough but it’s as high as I will go. Business is good but not that good.

Started another LMIA this week, already lots of hits from the job bank, but all foreign.

Matt.

ETA: I got dragged hard by a couple people when I suggested on a FB post that people should have roommates if they can’t afford a single apartment by themselves. When did having roommates become unacceptable? I don’t know very many people who at one point didn’t live with roommates. Ironically the people dragging me the hardest both have ads out for restaurant jobs at $16. 🙄

Edited by Matt R., 21 October 2021 - 12:46 PM.

• LJ, sukika, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#1974 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 01:02 PM

^ Dude 67% of single people now live alone. Used to be about 30%. That is your housing crisis right there! Don't suggest that though as you found out.

• Matt R., A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#1975 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 01:06 PM

^ Dude 67% of single people now live alone. Used to be about 30%. That is your housing crisis right there! Don't suggest that though as you found out.

yup.

The number of Canadians living alone has more than doubled in the past 35 years, making single-person households the most common type, a new report by Statistics Canada shows.

Using both the latest census data and the 2017 General Social Survey on Family, the authors determined that this growing group is now larger than the one composed of couples with kids, as well as the category made up of couples living alone.

Where once it was mostly widowed seniors — usually women — who lived by themselves, the age range and gender breakdown of solo dwellers is far more diverse than it once was.

"What we've seen over the last few decades is the fastest growing age group for living alone is middle adulthood, so age 35-64," said Nora Galbraith, co-author of the report and a senior analyst in Statistics Canada's demography division.

In 1981, just eight per cent of people in that age group lived alone, but that figure increased to 13 per cent by 2016. Galbraith says much of that increase is related to faster growth in the number of men living alone in those age groups.

In addition to increased life expectancies for men, the advent of no-fault divorce in Canada has contributed to the more even gender distribution of single-person households.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...anada-1.5045116

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 October 2021 - 01:08 PM.

#1976 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 01:07 PM

Devil is in the details. Show me where 'lockdown' is defined.

"Temporary new local lockdown" is the language used by the PMO. For his part, O'Toole is happy with the ending of the CRB and introduction of the much more targeted benefit.

Government announces targeted COVID-19 support measures to create jobs and growth - Canada.ca

Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit: What you need to know - Samfiru Tumarkin LLP (stlawyers.ca)

Reacting to the end of the CRB, Conservative MP Ed Fast attributed the announcement to leader Erin O’Toole’s pressure on the prime minister to phase it out.

“Yesterday, Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole said he would not support CRB benefits being extended past November 20th, citing skyrocketing inflation and ongoing labour shortages across the country. The Prime Minister followed Mr. O’Toole’s fiscal plan,” Fast said in a statement to CTVNews.ca.

Feds to spend $7.4B on new COVID-19 benefits | CTV News

#1977 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 01:14 PM

Oh for real?! No wonder they’re all so broke all the time! I’d be splitting a two bedroom or renting a whole house with four people. Oh wait, I did and still do.

Matt.

#1978 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 02:24 PM

Marriage breakdowns have increased the number of singles. Recently though there appears to be a growing number of people simply doing marriage avoidance (common law or otherwise).  

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#1979 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 03:11 PM

I got a kick out of the term “no fault divorce” somewhere above.

No I’m not going to Google it. That would take all the fun out of it.

#1980 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 03:15 PM

Trust me Sparky going through a no fault divorce is definitely no fun for most people. Mind you, I had fun with them,

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users