1968 replies to this topic

#1641 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,306 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 02:45 PM

Gonna be tough to measure the wage gap now:

[/url]

However I bet those with no gender or They/Their on the resume will end up paid less, except those hired by government.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 March 2023 - 03:01 PM.

#1642 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 02:45 PM

#clownworld

• Matt R. likes this

#1643 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 02:55 PM

Nah. We’ve failed two incorporation votes and there won’t be another anytime soon.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1644 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 05:15 PM

If it was up to me I'd go the chaotic way and make everyone's income public.

#1645 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,226 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 05:24 PM

Handy for scammers and grifters! 

#1646 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2023 - 05:31 PM

According to Statistics Canada, in 2022 women in B.C. earned 17 per cent less than men. Average hourly wages for men were $35.50 while women earned an average wage of $29.53 per hour, with the gap increasing for Indigenous, racialized and newcomer women.

That must include some pretty high salaries to raise the average to those figures.  Where's my piece of this pie?

The province has introduced new legislation requiring employers to include salary ranges on job postings, and banning employers from asking applicants for pay history information.

In an effort to help close the gender pay gap in the province, employers will also not be allowed to punish employees who disclose their pay to co-workers or potential job applicants.

Makes sense to me! too bad the bottom limit though is companies with 50 employees.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1647 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,306 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 04:34 PM

I just knew Horgan was secretly into coal.

Former B.C. premier John Horgan joins board of coal business

John Horgan is joining the board of Elk Valley Resources, an enterprise that is in the process of being spun off from Vancouver-based Teck Resources

“I’ve got other things that I am going to be working on that may be more to the taste of those who would kick up some dust, but the people that are kicking up dust, oftentimes, kick it up for the sake of kicking it up,” Mr. Horgan said in an interview.

“I don’t have a lot of time any more, none in fact, for public comment on my world view, or what I am doing with my time. I don’t want to be snippy about it, but there are others that are making policy decisions.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 April 2023 - 04:35 PM.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#1648 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,226 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 05:27 PM

Going to need to burn a lot of coal to power the electric grid. It’s OK they can just say it’s green and it is.
  • Nparker likes this

#1649 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,171 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 06:11 PM

E-fuel!
  • dasmo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1650 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 06:38 PM

Should this be in the investment ideas thread? :)

#1651 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 08:42 PM

I just knew Horgan was secretly into coal.

Former B.C. premier John Horgan joins board of coal business

John Horgan is joining the board of Elk Valley Resources, an enterprise that is in the process of being spun off from Vancouver-based Teck Resources

“I’ve got other things that I am going to be working on that may be more to the taste of those who would kick up some dust, but the people that are kicking up dust, oftentimes, kick it up for the sake of kicking it up,” Mr. Horgan said in an interview.

“I don’t have a lot of time any more, none in fact, for public comment on my world view, or what I am doing with my time. I don’t want to be snippy about it, but there are others that are making policy decisions.”

Disappointing; he and his government and specifically all those MLA's from Greater Victoria & south island basically sat on their hands doing nothing re: rail or even a more modest commuter/LRT from Cowichan south to the CRD -  yet were in favour however briefly until shamed into abandoning the idea, of spending $800 million to a billion on a single building no one asked for or wanted - and now Horgan makes this move.

No inclination to move or even comment publicly on the rail question in any substantive fashion AFAIK, but happily plunks his bum onto the board of a company dedicated to extracting coal. Regardless of the fact this particular coal will be used in steel manufacturing and not for power generation purposes, it is a fact coal mining for any purpose = massive pollution. More than oil and more than gas, globally coal from mining operations emits millions and millions of tons of methane annually. 

......oh and you can bet the annual $tipend for that BOD seat is probably not too shabby either. 

For years if not decades successive provincial Socred and later Liberal governments with their large mainland-centric numbers of MLA's were able to continuously champion, pump up and funnel billions of provincial $$$$$ into Greater Vancouver, supporting a plethora of infrastructure projects. Greater Victoria finally elects someone to the Premier's office with several other 'local' MLA's and really what did we get beyond that winding country road to Sooke with the cheap paint on it?

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#1652 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,226 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 09:25 PM

It’s going to take a lot of steel to rebuild everything in the green image….
  • Matt R., Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#1653 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,171 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 11:05 AM

Starting with electric cars… ☝️
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1654 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,306 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 11:12 AM

Shock and shrugs as John Horgan joins board of steel company after resignation

BC Liberal House Leader Todd Stone says Horgan’s decision is ‘fantastic’

https://www.vicnews....er-resignation/

It's a coal company, not a steel company.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 April 2023 - 11:12 AM.

#1655 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 11:20 AM

Horgan proved himself to be a unmitigated opportunist when he called the provincial election in 2020. I lost all respect for him then. This latest stunt means nothing.

#1656 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 10:18 AM

I love the way he told everyone to stfu and mind their own business. Right on.

#1657 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,226 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 10:30 AM

I love the way he told everyone to stfu and mind their own business. Right on.

I would cheer that attitude from him except...Covid... 

• Nparker likes this

#1658 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 10:49 AM

He’s not in public life anymore.

#1659 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 07:31 AM

Horgan proved himself to be a unmitigated opportunist when he called the provincial election in 2020. I lost all respect for him then. This latest stunt means nothing.

He will likely make 3X the money he made a Premier doing 1/5th of the work and out of the public eye (except perhaps for the little selenium problem the company has in addition to coal). 

It is amazing to me how how quickly people's health and concerns over family time resolve themselves when they leave office!

• Nparker, Matt R., Barrrister and 1 other like this

#1660 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,226 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 07:36 AM

Everyone who did their lockdown and forced vaccination duty is being rewarded with cushy positions on their way out.
New Zealand's outgoing prime minister Jacinda Ardern is joining Prince William's royal project for instance.
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users