2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
2831 replies to this topic

#1701 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 April 2023 - 07:27 PM

Naw. The only one that needs to change is Canadian voters.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1702 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 08:35 PM

...The only one that needs to change is Canadian voters.

Especially those who sent NDP members to Ottawa (I'm looking at you BC voters). Without them, JT's reign of error might have ended long ago.

#1703 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 08:54 PM

Especially those who sent NDP members to Ottawa (I'm looking at you BC voters). Without them, JT's reign of error might have ended long ago.

Guess what, I'll do it again. Because PP is somehow worse.
  • Matt R., gstc84, Brayvehart and 1 other like this

#1704 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 09:03 PM

It's your funeral.

#1705 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 09:10 PM

I just prefer my flavor of corrupt government to to have a veneer of progressiveness
  • Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

#1706 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 12:00 AM

Regressive/progressive. It depends on which way you are looking I suppose.

#1707 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 06:49 AM

Why do you think that?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1708 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:15 AM

Hasn’t run a country so it’s impossible to know. One can only form such an opinion based on 69% government funded media hating the other team. The smugness is irritating but it’s on par with Trudeau’s.
I’m hoping the Natural Law party returns. Now is a good time.

#1709 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:34 AM

The CBC has an op-ed in the National Post today, talking about how unfair it is to consider them an extension of the Liberal marketing machine.

Wouldn’t this be a good opportunity for them to start an engagement process to understand why so many Canadians are unhappy with the platform?
  • lanforod likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1710 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:38 AM

I don't think its rocket science. It's going to boil down to: why do Canadian taxpayers need to fund 1+ billion dollars to a media organization that does not provide much tangible benefit over all the other media organizations in our country?

• Nparker likes this

#1711 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:41 AM

And has dismal viewership.

Now, of course the answer is that it provides jobs to urban Toronto voters and creatives, that will always vote Liberal.
  • Nparker likes this

#1712 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:46 AM

The CBC has an op-ed in the National Post today, talking about how unfair it is to consider them an extension of the Liberal marketing machine.

Wouldn’t this be a good opportunity for them to start an engagement process to understand why so many Canadians are unhappy with the platform?

They will just keep hammering us over the head that we are awful people for following our eyes and ears and not obeying their mental dictates. CBC: “Just because we are funded by the government and we push every narrative required doesn’t mean we are funded by the government and push every narrative required…you racist right wing bigot”….
  • Nparker likes this

#1713 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:59 AM

Selectively turning off comments is such a bad look for the CBC.

In any case, the label isn’t going anywhere. It’s just a fact.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1714 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 08:18 AM

If I’m hearing things right, there’s some sort of a truckers protest or convoy in the Tillicum area.

Anyone have eyes on that part of town?

Know it all.

#1715 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 08:29 AM

Thanks, truckers.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1716 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 20 April 2023 - 09:07 AM

PP is an idiot for some of the things he's said... the crypto thing was detached from (economics, fiscal management, math, the reality that a stable currency os what a currency is, lol) reality, and if he thinks influencing the central bank will help him, it will hurt us badly. And his politics of anger is dull and unimaginative.

But I'll vote for him this time and encourage others to do so as well.

The whole "progressive" moniker has become a pejorative around here, I'm afraid, that captures the same anti-democratic, populist, slimy, "we're-going-to-pretend-this-is true-because-we're-doing-the-work-of-the-righteous" bs the populist right in the US started 15 years ago. The anger is also the same and, at best, I don't see any difference in the behaviour at either end of the spectrum.

So I'll vote for balance. I have no interest in anyones tribe... I vote contemporaneously (there's a fifty cent word!) The old saw that the right has no heart and the left can't execute is coming true here in BC, and Canada... we need to swing the pendulum away for a while.

• Nparker likes this

#1717 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 712 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 09:35 AM

I know it would be performative and all that, but it would make him more palatable for me and a few others I know if he joined a pride parade, just to show that he is willing to distance himself from the social conservatives/regressive right.
  • Brayvehart and Stephen James like this

#1718 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 09:41 AM

There's nothing that endears me to a candidate more than when they are disingenuous. Then again, it's certainly been working for the current PM.

#1719 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 09:41 AM

You don’t think social conservatives or people on the right participate in pride parades?

A trans woman ran for the Conservatives in Victoria in the 2021 federal election.

Know it all.

#1720 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 712 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:05 AM

You don’t think social conservatives or people on the right participate in pride parades?

A trans woman ran for the Conservatives in Victoria in the 2021 federal election.

Oh yes, the same argument as I have a black friend so I can't be racist.
  • Brayvehart likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users