Photo

2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
2831 replies to this topic

#1721 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:07 AM

For me as someone in the community it would mean a lot.
  • Brayvehart likes this

#1722 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:13 AM

Oh yes, the same argument as I have a black friend so I can't be racist.

Trudeau wore black face, a lot, right into mature adulthood. That doesn't make him a racist.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1723 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,075 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:18 AM

For me as someone in the community it would mean a lot.

Most gay people do not participate in the parades. Why would you expect others too, also?

#1724 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master âś”

• 15,499 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:22 AM

You must wear the ribbon!
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1725 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:48 AM

Trudeau wore black face, a lot, right into mature adulthood. That doesn't make him a racist.

Yes (he is racist), and let me tell you a little bit about myself that I'm not proud of, I'm racist sometimes. I'm even slightly homophobic. But I always aim to be better.

Edited by GaryOak, 20 April 2023 - 10:59 AM.

#1726 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:51 AM

You must wear the ribbon!

I don't really see it any different from when a city politician goes to the country for a day to act the farmer to show they care. Or when PP join the truckers infront of parliament, even though he didn't actually care about them he only cared about their vote.

#1727 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,075 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 11:02 AM

Why didn’t Trudeau show up to try to get their vote?
  • Nparker likes this

#1728 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 11:08 AM

Yes (he is racist), and let me tell you a little bit about myself that I'm not proud of, I'm racist sometimes. I'm even slightly homophobic. But I always aim to be better.

Yeah. It's generally good to be a decent person.

We hold the Conservatives to a different standard. Trudeau is racist, you're a racist and homophobe, but you're upset PP doesn't join pride parades. I dunno.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1729 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master âś”

• 15,499 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 12:23 PM

I don't really see it any different from when a city politician goes to the country for a day to act the farmer to show they care. Or when PP join the truckers infront of parliament, even though he didn't actually care about them he only cared about their vote.

Politicians are paid liars. As are actors and journalists. You pick which one whose lies resonate with you. Then the others are bad guys and you are the good guys.
I am 💯 for people loving whoever they want. To do that without fear of ridicule or violence is a worthy goal. I will never wear the ribbon for that reason. This extends to all people. We can’t all be under one rainbow religion. That’s not inclusion or harmony that’s tyranny. It doesn’t matter if it’s a conservative, no abortions, gays are evil or if it’s a progressive abort your grandma and men are women. They are the same thing…

#1730 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master âś”

• 15,499 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 12:58 PM

I hope some of you folks not in the Boomer Gen-X baskets are getting my Seinfeld reference…
  • Matt R. likes this

#1731 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,075 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:02 PM

Got it.
  • dasmo likes this

#1732 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:04 PM

Most gay people do not participate in the parades. Why would you expect others too, also?

not equivalent, obviously: Most people don't want/need to be Prime Minister.

He needs to lead for everyone or he's just the same as CoV council, and the NDP, and then perpetuates the same bs.

• GaryOak likes this

#1733 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,075 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:08 PM

What other parades must he participate in to meet your agenda?
  • dasmo likes this

#1734 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:10 PM

Yeah. It's generally good to be a decent person.

We hold the Conservatives to a different standard. Trudeau is racist, you're a racist and homophobe, but you're upset PP doesn't join pride parades. I dunno.

c'mon Mike... conservative signalling is no different?

PP especially needs to attend these parades, and anti-abortion rallys, because he needs to send a message internally as much as externally. It's no longer a mystery what keeps them out of power... that some members don't WANT a big tent, and that kind of backwards looking values keeps the big middle everyone wants suspicious. The "BIG TENT" strategy has to be backed up with action, and the wishy washy "trying-to-keep-everyone-happy" is the same reason the BC NDP are presently vulnerable.

• GaryOak likes this

#1735 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:14 PM

What other parades must he participate in to meet your agenda?

ani-abortion especially

• GaryOak likes this

#1736 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:16 PM

ani-abortion especially

And I have no agenda, other than hoping for something better and right now he's just different... but sure not better.

It's gotten to the point that I'll settle for different, but as soon as some Reform loonie spouts "bring back whipping", or "no abortions because the rapture is tomorrow" they're done, again, and they should be. 

• GaryOak likes this

#1737 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:27 PM

I hope some of you folks not in the Boomer Gen-X baskets are getting my Seinfeld reference…

Had to look up the reference, it was before my time.

Edited by GaryOak, 20 April 2023 - 01:27 PM.

#1738 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:52 PM

c'mon Mike... conservative signalling is no different?

PP especially needs to attend these parades, and anti-abortion rallys, because he needs to send a message internally as much as externally. It's no longer a mystery what keeps them out of power...

Conservatives won the last popular vote, though. It’s the concentration of ridings in Liberal strongholds that makes winning an election so challenging.

Know it all.

#1739 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 02:08 PM

Yes, but winning the popular vote doesn't win you elections. And at the same time O'Toole was far more "centrist" and "progressive" than PP.

#1740 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master âś”

• 15,499 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 02:55 PM

Had to look up the reference, it was before my time.

What was genius about that episode is he is entering the marathon. He refused to wear the ribbon just because. They beat him to a pulp. He finished the marathon without the ribbon on. That’s freedom AND inclusion.

Edited by dasmo, 20 April 2023 - 03:00 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users