Photo

2021 Canadian General Election and term discussion

• Please log in to reply
2812 replies to this topic

#521 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 03:01 PM

You’re not a never Con if you voted for the Cons!

And Albertans don’t count in my generic blanket statement. :)

Hahaha, I may be a never Con at this point for the reasons above...

• Mike K. likes this

#522 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:30 PM

I'd count myself as a never-Con but I also find O'Toole far more tolerable than any of the other leaders the Cons have had this century.

I suspect, had he been elected, that once he'd been in office a while many never-Cons might have ended up reacting to him much the way some never-NDP have reacted to Horgan's premiership here in BC: "Hey, he's actually better than we thought he'd be."

But this was a real hold-my-nose vote this time - even Reichert was starting to look pretty good by the time all was said and done, though I'm not one of his (at last count) 65 votes.

• Nparker, vortoozo and Awaiting Juno like this

#523 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:41 AM

Green Party Leader Annamie Paul announced today she is stepping down as leader of her party after its disastrous showing in the recent federal election, prompting a search for a new leader less than a year after the last one concluded.

Paul said she is leaving now because she can't bear to go through a fractious leadership review, a process that was formally launched Saturday by members eager to replace her after the party's poor showing in the 44th general election.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...eader-1.6190793

why don’t they just put David Suzuki in for the next election?

before he dies. he’s 85.

they will have their best showing ever.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 September 2021 - 10:43 AM.

#524 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 12:24 PM

Sounds like it’s time to merge with the NDP if they actually want to get something done

#525 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 12:37 PM

why don’t they just put David Suzuki in for the next election?

before he dies. he’s 85.

they will have their best showing ever.

Thank god I thought he was a lot younger. He’s looking pretty good

I think if he wanted to run he would’ve done it by now?

Edited by todd, 27 September 2021 - 12:50 PM.

#526 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 06:20 AM

NDP MPs are calling for the elimination of what they call the House of Commons' "archaic" dress code, which requires men to wear jackets and ties to speak in the chamber.

NDP MPs say they want the traditional rules on decorum to be updated to make them more modern and to accommodate transgender, non-binary and two-spirit members.

There are no specific dress rules for women MPs, who still constitute a minority in the House of Commons; like men, they must dress in "contemporary business attire" in order to speak in a debate.

Rare exceptions have been made to the rules for men — allowing them to wear a kilt on Robbie Burns Day, for example.

Randall Garrison, the NDP's spokesperson on LGBTQ issues, said the New Democrats will ask for the rules to be updated after the House returns on Nov. 22.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-code-1.6235869

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 November 2021 - 06:20 AM.

#527 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 06:54 AM

And for this MPs are paid at least $185,000/year?  :whyme:

• Matt R. likes this

#528 JimV

JimV
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 03:00 PM

It doesn’t sound that complicated.  Every MP should be required to declare his/her/zis gender then dress accordingly in the House.  As a bonus it would be vastly entertaining.

#529 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 06:07 PM

The Greeks did the Olympics nude. I’m just worried about the possibility of aliens and robots.

Edited by todd, 07 November 2021 - 06:10 PM.

#530 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 06:23 PM

And for this MPs are paid at least $185,000/year?  :whyme:

was once told I was a fool for not wearing a suit. Why not get the better treatment?

#531 JimV

JimV
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 07:28 PM

The Greeks did the Olympics nude. I’m just worried about the possibility of aliens and robots.

I’m pretty sure that some of the MPs are space aliens.  Hard to guess about their gender preferences or appropriate dress.  Trudeau could wear his Indian party costumes - that would add a much needed dash of colour to the HOC. Robots, I think not.  Robots would have logic circuits, rendering them unsuitable for political roles.

• LJ likes this

#532 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:22 AM

The Greens have chosen a nonbinary astrophysicist as the interim leader of their party.

Amita Kuttner, an expert in black holes, was appointed Wednesday by the Greens’ Federal Council to lead the party until a new leader is elected next year.

https://www.vicnews....arty-of-canada/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 November 2021 - 09:22 AM.

#533 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:40 AM

The expertise in black holes should stand her well in the federal Green Party.

• Mike K., Nparker, phx and 2 others like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#534 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:41 AM

post of the day  :thumbsup:

#535 JimV

JimV
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 06:43 PM

Maybe she will disappear into one of these black holes, and per current scientific speculation, reappear in an alternate universe where Greens are not complete idiots and closet communists.  With any luck she’ll be holding hands with Lizzie May when that happens.

#536 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 07:40 PM

here is where it gets confusing...

when "they" (Amita Kuttner)are quoted thusly;

“We are all are in this because we care about the same things. We are tied together by our values and the fact that we deeply care about our community.”

are "they" just talking about themselves, or about a group, or what?!

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#537 JimV

JimV
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:34 AM

Good point.  I would say that Kuttner is referring to her alternate gender personae except they obviously don’t “care about the same things.”  It’s a puzzle, though the continuing decline of the Greens is guaranteed either way.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#538 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:36 AM

...the continuing decline of the Greens is guaranteed either way.

I am not sure that's really such a bad thing.

#539 JimV

JimV
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:45 AM

I am not sure that's really such a bad thing.

The bad thing is that all the major political parties have drunk the Climate Change Cool-Aid anyway, so the Greens are basically superfluous.

#540 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 03:20 PM

s it looks for ways to cut its costs and avoid insolvency, the Green Party of Canada is considering ditching its Ottawa party office.

A report from the party's financial arm, presented to party members at last weekend's virtual general meeting, says the cash-strapped party is considering all of its options, including shutting down the office.

Donations to the Green Party fell off a cliff in June as efforts by members of the party's executive council to oust leader Annamie Paul spilled over in public. The drop in donations also coincided with the recent federal election.

_______

The fund report says that legal proceedings involving the former leader consumed a lot of time and money, as did its collective agreement with newly unionized staff.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...vency-1.6271510

Talk about a self-destruct. I love it when these woke organizations champion things like unionisation then realize in the real world that sucks lots of money.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 December 2021 - 03:22 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users