Photo

Global Virus Activity

• Please log in to reply
737 replies to this topic

#41 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:19 AM

Isn’t it abundantly clear that masking and hiding from the virus just lead to the big spike in flu this year? It didn’t work.

I think the initial carnage lead to the prolonged restrictions.  As the virus weakened faster that restrictions were lifted...  Once we had a weaker virus is was easier to see we could've/should've opened up a faster...  Just that first 6 months was it, really pushed it.

I recall the mental twisting to explain why it was ok to sit at a bar without a mask and share bathrooms with dozens of strangers, but how it wasn't ok to sit in your friend's basement without a mask.

Timeline might be twisted a bit...  Bars were closed for a long time that summer, though you could sit on patios etc., I recall even sitting at window on a patio, they opened the window and I watched baseball as they served though the window over an inside booth.  Then bars had the glass (that was funny) and distancing of stools...  By then I'm not sure there were house raids about poker parties but they did shut down 'nightclub' like parties..  So long ago now...  Time is a funny thing.

#42 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:51 AM

Yeah that makes sense to me, but hindsight etc.

Yup. The point is, learn from the mistakes. Let's not repeat history.

• Matt R. likes this

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 11:41 AM

i have no idea when that was the case? at the height of the lockdown anyway bars were either closed entirely or open at severely reduced capacity so i don't know when people would have shared bathrooms with "dozens of strangers". we were always supposed to keep a 2m distance from others or bubble together in small numbers.

You already forgot about Pablo Candybar and police raids on guys playing poker in a garage? Meanwhile down the block people were getting hammered maskless at the bar. It was a circus.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 11:42 AM

You already forgot about Pablo Candybar and police raids on guys playing poker in a garage? Meanwhile down the block people were getting hammered maskless at the bar. It was a circus.

Are you sure that timeline aligns? I think that was 10 guys around a table.. At the time restrictions for restaurants was 6 to a table..  Masks when up from table or not eating/drinking and I think had to be family etc. Had to wash hands after bathroom activities, glad that's over.

I get it, it was weird times.

Edited by Ismo07, 20 January 2023 - 11:47 AM.

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 11:47 AM

Selective memory is a funny. You don't remember this nonsense? We discussed the below article in December of 2020, when I criticized this for being absolute nonsense (bars = safe, your home = not safe). Which, it turned out, was nonsense.

“They (the restaurant restrictions) are actually driving people to stay home, where the risk seems to be,” he said. “And they’re keeping people out of restaurants which are working hard to sanitize and clean, and enforce masks and which are safe.

“Your buddy who comes to your house for a beer isn’t wearing a mask,” Loura said. “Nobody is sanitizing your couch.”

https://www.syracuse...s-exposure.html

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 11:50 AM

Selective memory is a funny. You don't remember this nonsense? We discussed the below article in December of 2020, when I criticized this for being absolute nonsense (bars = safe, your home = not safe). Which, it turned out, was nonsense.

https://www.syracuse...s-exposure.html

I remember but I'm just looking at Victoria and how it was here...  Restaurants were also getting complained about and fined...  Everything was wiped down all the time.  It was what it was but I was out there patronizing.  Restaurants also closed early.  There was very little people getting hammered and waddling around.  It wasn't like you think it was, at least where I went...  Places were not busy.  

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 11:56 AM

I think the point is, people were being vilified for seeing their friends and family at their own homes. But it was totally acceptable to see them in a restaurant or a bar, where you'd share bathrooms with strangers.

Know it all.

#48 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 11:59 AM

Most of the protocols made little logical sense. Vaccination required to dine is a full service restaurant; not required for dining in a food court etc.

#49 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 12:17 PM

I think the point is, people were being vilified for seeing their friends and family at their own homes. But it was totally acceptable to see them in a restaurant or a bar, where you'd share bathrooms with strangers.

Well like 4 people wouldn't go at the same time.  I think for the most part you wouldn't share at all cause people were pretty good with allowing that space.  The point is that their were restrictions that were outlined pretty obviously.  The perception that restaurants were parties in late 2020 is incorrect.  Like I said, restaurants would get fined.  They would come in and ask patrons what relation you were with the person you were with.  And yes there were rules in the venue.  Poker table with 10 guys probably didn't adhere to many of those.

I'm not suggesting anything is right or wrong but there were differences...  And it was some nosey neighbour that reported it.  Police couldn't sit back and not attend.  Grim times for sure... But again the comparison isn't equal.

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 12:27 PM

Most of the protocols made little logical sense. Vaccination required to dine is a full service restaurant; not required for dining in a food court etc.

Yes, another good example.

Know it all.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 12:30 PM

Well like 4 people wouldn't go at the same time. I think for the most part you wouldn't share at all cause people were pretty good with allowing that space. The point is that their were restrictions that were outlined pretty obviously. The perception that restaurants were parties in late 2020 is incorrect. Like I said, restaurants would get fined. They would come in and ask patrons what relation you were with the person you were with. And yes there were rules in the venue. Poker table with 10 guys probably didn't adhere to many of those.

I'm not suggesting anything is right or wrong but there were differences... And it was some nosey neighbour that reported it. Police couldn't sit back and not attend. Grim times for sure... But again the comparison isn't equal.

I saw people getting hammered with their buddies at the bars. Six to a table, each from a different household. That’s why I was so adamant that the whole thing was pretty hokey.

Bar operators even told me there’s only so much they could, and wanted to do. So they let a lot of stuff slip. And quite frankly a lot of them didn’t care because they also saw the rules as hokey and either you were running a bar or running a daycare.

Know it all.

#52 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 12:39 PM

I saw people getting hammered with their buddies at the bars. Six to a table, each from a different household. That’s why I was so adamant that the whole thing was pretty hokey.

Bar operators even told me there’s only so much they could, and wanted to do. So they let a lot of stuff slip. And quite frankly a lot of them didn’t care because they also saw the rules as hokey and either you were running a bar or running a daycare.

Yeah it wasn't fair at all to put onus on restaurant staff...  I didn't think you were going out much during Oct/Nov 2020..  I thought you were afraid of the streets?  Didn't I offer to go with you so you'd be safe?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 12:51 PM

You do know there is a whole nother world north of Pandora and west of Wharf, right? :D

Know it all.

#54 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 01:37 PM

You do know there is a whole nother world north of Pandora and west of Wharf, right? :D

Ewww..... Where is there a nice place there?

Edited by Ismo07, 20 January 2023 - 01:38 PM.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 08:11 AM

Nothing beats the View Street Social, that is true.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#56 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 10:30 AM

FDA proposes switching to annual coronavirus vaccine, copying flu model

The Food and Drug Administration is proposing a crucial change in the way the coronavirus vaccine is handled: Switching to a once-a-year shot that targets the strain expected to pose the greatest threat during the following winter — a system akin to what is used for the influenza vaccine.

#57 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 10:58 AM

Make it a 2fer vaccine (seasonal flu & COVID) and I might consider getting something annually. Not if it was mandated mind you. I'm done with that BS.

#58 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 04:28 PM

Some rural B.C. mayors call for end to vaccine mandates to get more nurses working

Almost half of the health-care workers fired for not being immunized against COVID-19 worked in the Interior and Northern health authorities, which is where staffing shortages have forced the persistent closures of emergency rooms.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 January 2023 - 04:28 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#59 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 07:48 PM

Love how that option “isn’t on the table.” Why not? Most other provinces have done it. Why is BC being so obstinate about it? What does the science say about it? Is being double vaccinated in 2023 a good level of protection?

#60 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 12:43 PM

The spread of COVID-19 misinformation in Canada cost at least 2,800 lives and $300 million in hospital expenses over nine months of the pandemic, according to estimates in a new report out Thursday.

The report — released by the Council of Canadian Academies (CCA), an independent research organization that receives federal funding — examined how misinformation affected COVID infections, hospitalizations and deaths between March and November of 2021.

The authors suggest that misinformation contributed to vaccine hesitancy for 2.3 million Canadians. Had more people been willing to roll up their sleeves when a vaccine was first available to them, Canada could have seen roughly 200,000 fewer COVID cases and 13,000 fewer hospitalizations, the report says.

Alex Himelfarb, chair of the expert panel that wrote the report, said that its estimates are very conservative because it only examined a nine-month period of the pandemic.

"It's pretty clear that tens of thousands of hospitalizations did occur because of misinformation," Himelfarb told reporters. "We are confident that those are conservative estimates."

Himelfarb also said the $300 million estimate covers only hospital costs — the study didn't include indirect costs associated with factors such as delayed elective surgeries and lost wages.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...study-1.6726356

• sebberry likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users