Langford and West Shore | 2022-2026 municipal term discussion

• Please log in to reply
678 replies to this topic

#321 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 02:13 PM

Yes, it can be overwhelming to follow this day in, and day out.

But the public deserves to know who orchestrated the shift in Langford politics. Keeping this veiled is not a workable strategy, and voters have to know who they’re getting their information from.
  • martini and Stephen James like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#322 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 02:19 PM

But the public deserves to know who orchestrated the shift in Langford politics. Keeping this veiled is not a workable strategy, and voters have to know who they’re getting their information from.

I agree with Lorenzo...  Except for Adam, I don't hear much of an issue from Langford folks.  It's an interesting little soap opera right now but saying the public deserves to know? I don't think 5% care at the end of the day.  I'm not sure it will every matter, barring anything illegal...  We will see next election... 

Edited by Ismo07, 16 March 2023 - 02:22 PM.

• martini and GaryOak like this

#323 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 02:46 PM

...Stirling just seems like he's on a mission now. 

And what if he is? Shouldn't someone uncover whoever or whatever is behind the drastic shift in Langford's political landscape?

• martini and Stephen James like this

#324 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 02:53 PM

Of course, the public has to know. That it is being hidden on purpose is ultra problematic.

• Nparker, martini and Stephen James like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#325 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 03:06 PM

Of course, the public has to know. That it is being hidden on purpose is ultra problematic.

To what end?  I guess what I'm saying is the public doesn't seem to be asking in general.

#326 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 16 March 2023 - 03:22 PM

I agree with Lorenzo...  Except for Adam, I don't hear much of an issue from Langford folks.  It's an interesting little soap opera right now but saying the public deserves to know? I don't think 5% care at the end of the day.  I'm not sure it will every matter, barring anything illegal...  We will see next election... 

I had an interesting and enlightening experience the other morning in a Langford coffee shop. Was sitting beside a table of old guys, long time Langfordites. Just out talking about life. I wasn't part of their group. Just listened. Obviously these guys were non political and probably too old to care. It was cool listening to their perspective on all things Langford. When it came to politics, none was a particular fan of Stew or the last council. Too much development at any cost. All thought it was time for them to go. No one knew anything about the new Mayor and Council and were surprised that the old crew got toppled, and they just didn't work at getting re-elected. All thought Stirling was weirdly enamoured with Stew, and obviously a fan, and his show was hard to listen too now. As far as the YMCA saga, they would be surprised if more things didn't come to light going forward. Then they just moved on to other old guy stuff. 

I didn't write this post to be provocative in any way. It was just to expand on Ismo07's post about regular Langford folks going about their business. I live in an area of SFD's outside the core of Langford. No one on my street is disappointed in the election results. We all lived in fear of God knows what taking over our neighbourhood, and having little to no say in what happened. Can't fight City Hall was never truer in Langford. 

I'd like to see everything work out here. As Ismo07 says. Lets see what the next election brings. 

#327 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 03:44 PM

It's ironic that thousands of Langford folks who benefited from Stew's "unbridled" development, now think there has been "too much" growth.

• LJ likes this

#328 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 03:46 PM

Presumably many would not live there without that growth.

But it’s a pattern that follows everywhere.

It’s why everywhere except economically depressed regions have a “housing crisis”.
  • Lorenzo likes this

#329 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 03:50 PM

It's ironic that thousands of Langford folks who benefited from Stew's "unbridled" development, now think there has been "too much" growth.

Presumably many would not live there without that growth. But it’s a pattern that follows everywhere...

It's the Westshore version of the DRA crying fowl at every new high-rise proposal.

#330 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 05:47 PM

My question from the beginning is "What could this Mayor and Council do now that would satisfy Adam Stirling so we could move on?"  In reality I don't think there is anything they could do.

So much this! It doesn't matter what the Council does, he will find fault with it.

A few weeks ago he was criticizing them for not considering new developments. The next meeting two developments were on the agenda. The next morning "Why weren't they discussing policing!?" You just can't win with Adam if he's decided that you won't.
  • Ismo07 likes this

#331 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 05:55 PM

Look at the Langford Now financial disclosure and you'll find your answers.

#332 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 07:05 PM

Welcome to VV, HVG!

Yes, that is known (Langford Now), but what the public doesn't know is who started the voter group that predated Langford Now, i.e. Langford Voters for Change/now called Langford Voters.

Is it the same people who started Langford Now?

• Stephen James likes this

Know it all.

#333 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 08:20 PM

Welcome to VV, HVG!

Yes, that is known (Langford Now), but what the public doesn't know is who started the voter group that predated Langford Now, i.e. Langford Voters for Change/now called Langford Voters.

Is it the same people who started Langford Now?

Considering Mr. Stirling threatened to "talk to their bosses" of the admins on his show today I'm not going to get too specific on this. He seems unhinged and it's not a stretch to envision him going through everything the admins have ever posted online and doxing them.

Yes, there is some overlap between the creator/admins of the group and Langford Now.

#334 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 05:57 AM

I think you can appreciate why this is such a hot topic. Political slate operators overlapping into what was called a grassroots citizens group is not how grassroots citizens groups generally work. The two should not be mutually inclusive, and the operators/originators of the grassroots movement typically do not withhold their identities.

This is turning into one of the most bizarre, but also entertaining, political situations in Victoria’s history.
  • HappyValleyGirl likes this

Know it all.

#335 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 05:59 AM

I think you can appreciate why this is such a hot topic. Political slate operators overlapping into what was called a grassroots citizens group is not how grassroots citizens groups generally work. The two should not be mutually inclusive, and the operators/originators of the grassroots movement typically do not withhold their identities.

In the end the voters voted these clowns in.  It's on them, really.

2018:

screenshot-www.civicinfo.bc.ca-2023.03.17-10_00_19.png

2022:

screenshot-www.civicinfo.bc.ca-2023.03.17-10_00_35.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 March 2023 - 06:01 AM.

#336 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 17 March 2023 - 06:25 AM

Voter apathy has always been huge in Langford. The previous machine was so entrenched that everyone I know in Langford just had the "Whats the point?" attitude. The other side got caught sleeping. I didn't think that Stew would lose, but my hope was that most of the bobblehead council would be replaced so that there was some balance.

It is really sad that the only place we can get our information now is from two battling Facebook Groups. As a result I am in the dark. Stirling has just gotten too adversarial and shows no sign of turning back. Can't listen to it now. Local media isn't touching this.

Agree or not, the new council is in. I just think we should let them do their work. It must be hard to move forward with one hand tied behind their back and facing a full frontal assault by the aggrieved other side.

I woke up the other morning to the sound of blasting across the lake and the sounds of construction in the distance. The roads are gridlocked. The mall parking lots are full. Life goes on in Langford.

Edited by Lorenzo, 17 March 2023 - 06:40 AM.

• GaryOak likes this

#337 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 06:39 AM

School District 62 is now at odds with the municipality, because Langford has decided not to support a field at an upcoming school, and the sentiment is the rushed tree bylaw took precedence instead of to-dos left over from the previous council.

I also hear blasting, almost daily where I live, and I live quite far from Langford. Development is happening everywhere, and we live in hilly terrain. Maybe Langford residents feel like there is more going on because it’s the topic of so many conversations. But as an example/point to consider, Victoria and Langford are delivering the same volume of development (one has 2x the population, the other 2x the land mass).

Still, all of that said, the identity of the people who orchestrated the political shift should be disclosed and not a secret.
  • martini and Barrrister like this

Know it all.

#338 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 08:06 AM

This is turning into one of the most bizarre, but also entertaining, political situations in Victoria’s history.

I never said it was the slate operators.

#339 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 08:11 AM

School District 62 is now at odds with the municipality, because Langford has decided not to support a field at an upcoming school, and the sentiment is the rushed tree bylaw took precedence instead of to-dos left over from the previous council.

I also hear blasting, almost daily where I live, and I live quite far from Langford. Development is happening everywhere, and we live in hilly terrain. Maybe Langford residents feel like there is more going on because it’s the topic of so many conversations. But as an example/point to consider, Victoria and Langford are delivering the same volume of development (one has 2x the population, the other 2x the land mass).

Still, all of that said, the identity of the people who orchestrated the political shift should be disclosed and not a secret.

It's really interesting that you are feeling the blasting. https://langford.ca/...pires-may-2023/ I'm within the radius for this blasting and my family hasn't felt anything yet.

Edited by HappyValleyGirl, 17 March 2023 - 08:13 AM.

• HappyValleyGirl likes this

#340 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 08:25 AM

Oh no, not Langford blasting, lol, sorry for not being clear. Blasting where I live. It’s happening all over the CRD.

HVG, so Langford Now disclosure statements don’t include the founders of Langford Voters? Maybe I misunderstood:

Yes, there is some overlap between the creator/admins of the group and Langford Now.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users