Photo

Langford and West Shore | 2022-2026 municipal term discussion

• Please log in to reply
684 replies to this topic

#361 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 01:03 PM

Stirling has uncovered a connection to Langford’s new politics and Victoria’s former highest vote-grossing councillor: https://twitter.com/...LNt72cvXf0yWpgg

Every member of the CRD Board was contacted about this initiative. I see in the screenshot that former Colwood Mayor Rob Martin was also one of the board members that responded. Keep grasping at straws.

#362 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 01:10 PM

Politics is not a smokescreen, and its integrity lies with the integrity of those who engage in it.

In other words, you can’t hide behind the threat of a “dox” when a fundamental expectation of politics is to be transparent about who you are (ie there should be no reason for a “dox” because the identities of key individuals are already known). That the group is doing this is weak, and it might relate to how precarious and/or disingenuous the situation really is, if the public were to know who was/is pulling the strings.

Imagine starting a little Facebook group because you're frustrated at how things in your municipality are being done and want a place to express it. You never had any intention of running for public office or becoming a public figure. Next thing you know your little group blows up bigger than you could have imagined and it influences an election outcome.

I think it's completely understandable that this person does not want to come forward no matter how much a local radio host demands on know who they are.
  • amor de cosmos likes this

#363 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 02:03 PM

Imagine starting a little Facebook group because you're frustrated at how things in your municipality are being done and want a place to express it. You never had any intention of running for public office or becoming a public figure. Next thing you know your little group blows up bigger than you could have imagined and it influences an election outcome.

I think it's completely understandable that this person does not want to come forward no matter how much a local radio host demands on know who they are.

That’s one possible scenario, but we have no way to know if it’s the actual scenario, because we are forbidden from vetting who started the little Facebook group, and what their plan was, and who backed them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#364 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 02:05 PM

Every member of the CRD Board was contacted about this initiative. I see in the screenshot that former Colwood Mayor Rob Martin was also one of the board members that responded. Keep grasping at straws.

Telling someone they are grasping at straws (it’s not actually me, I’m just the messenger), then defending the group’s secrecy, is a not going to build sympathy for your story, I think we can both agree. You’re drawing more attention to this scenario, and it only strengthens the resolve of those working to figure out the truth.

• martini and Stephen James like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#365 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 09:20 AM

That’s one possible scenario, but we have no way to know if it’s the actual scenario, because we are forbidden from vetting who started the little Facebook group, and what their plan was, and who backed them.

Why do we need to know the scenario?  Vote again in 4 years.  Unless something illegal happened, what's done is done.  Gotta move forward at some point no?   

#366 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:19 AM

I also like Adam but I agree that he is overplaying his hand here. Unless there is some campaign financing rule that has been broken, I could care less who organizes facebook groups. 

I think that most people just want to give the new Mayor and council a chance and then see how things work out. So far they seem pretty reasonable people.

• amor de cosmos, Lorenzo and Kilo95 like this

#367 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 12:08 PM

We don’t know what rule has or hasn’t been broken if we don’t know who is influencing the politics.

I don’t think anything nefarious happened, at all. But I do question the disregard for disclosure when we’ve spent years making a big deal about shadow entities or non-local entities influencing politics. The precedent for a desire for greater disclosure has therefore been set, so why the roadblocks?

Know it all.

#368 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 12:21 PM

Here’s the thing. People have been wondering who was/is behind LVFC from well before the election. Like from day 1, people have been wondering, and curious.

I would get regular enquiries as to who the group was. One person even said the rumour mill thought it was I who was behind it. So it’s not because of Radio Man Bad that the operators are unwilling to disclose who they are, they were never willing to do it. And that inevitably lead to the situation we have today.
  • martini likes this

Know it all.

#369 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 07:33 PM

A speaker is removed from council chambers via bylaw officers: https://twitter.com/...LNt72cvXf0yWpgg

Know it all.

#370 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 10:51 AM

We don’t know what rule has or hasn’t been broken if we don’t know who is influencing the politics.

I don’t think anything nefarious happened, at all. But I do question the disregard for disclosure when we’ve spent years making a big deal about shadow entities or non-local entities influencing politics. The precedent for a desire for greater disclosure has therefore been set, so why the roadblocks?

Knowing who wouldn't tell you that.  It could be all the players that Adam is/has suggested.  It could be Santa Claus.  If all  the people who voted lived in Langford then it doesn't matter.  This is getting super old.

A speaker is removed from council chambers via bylaw officers: https://twitter.com/...LNt72cvXf0yWpgg

This however is new.  I'm not sure why they can't let someone ramble on and on with their 3 minutes.  All they have to do is thank them for there input and it's over.

• martini, Lorenzo, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#371 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,552 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 10:54 AM

This however is new.  I'm not sure why they can't let someone ramble on and on with their 3 minutes.  All they have to do is thank them for there input and it's over.

That's right.  

• Lorenzo likes this

#372 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 04:40 PM

Knowing who wouldn't tell you that.  It could be all the players that Adam is/has suggested.  It could be Santa Claus.  If all  the people who voted lived in Langford then it doesn't matter.  This is getting super old.

Watching the video he did ramble on for his 3 minutes and then didn't leave.

• Matt R. likes this

#373 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 07:35 PM

Reviewing the video, I think he exercised his right to continue on with his address, after he was told he would be removed by bylaw.

Ismo’s right, had he been allowed to continue on for a few more seconds, it would have been over.

Know it all.

#374 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,552 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 04:47 AM

Langford’s requirements to use fake grass on boulevards and some property frontages have been turfed.

Five years after previous mayor Stew Young and his council made artificial turf an official policy, Langford’s new council decided Monday it’s cheaper and more environmentally friendly to go with the real thing, or with alternatives such as drought-resistant or native plantings.

https://www.timescol...irement-6738138

• Lorenzo and lanforod like this

#375 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 March 2023 - 07:28 AM

Good. That fake stuff looks tacky as heck. It has its place, but not on public boulevards, IMHO.

• Lorenzo and Ismo07 like this

#376 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 07:48 AM

Good. That fake stuff looks tacky as heck. It has its place, but not on public boulevards, IMHO.

Agreed. For whatever reason the previous Mayor and council allowed themselves to be sold a bill of good on saving money and easing maintenance.

• Lorenzo likes this

#377 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,023 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 08:23 AM

If it's anything like the CoV, future boulevard maintenance will be next to nothing.

#378 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,552 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 03:14 AM

‘Is that a threat?’ Heated moments at Langford council meeting include resident being told to leave

Mayor warns residents to be respectful, citing verbal assault on presenter outside previous meeting

https://www.goldstre...-told-to-leave/

Social media has also been fanning the flames of division. Langford Voters started as a Facebook group and would go on to spawn the electoral organization Langford Now. All five of its slate of council candidates would go on to win during last October’s municipal election, representing a massive shift from the entrenchment of the previous mayor and council, headed by former mayor Stew Young.

In response, a separate Facebook group was started called Our Langford, a collective that is “appreciative and grateful to former mayor Stew Young’s historical 30 years of monumental achievements in the City of Langford,” according to the group’s own selection.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 March 2023 - 03:16 AM.

#379 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 05:31 AM

Warns residents to be respectful? Is that a threat?

Crazy times.

Know it all.

#380 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 01:58 PM

This however is new. I'm not sure why they can't let someone ramble on and on with their 3 minutes. All they have to do is thank them for there input and it's over.

It's not really new. The previous Council introduced a new Council Procedures bylaw in 2021 that states "all members of the public may address Council during the public participation portion of the meeting only with respect to items appearing on the Agenda."

This has come up enough times so far during this Council's term that all the speakers at the meeting were well aware of it. The member of the public who was asked to leave was previously asked to keep to the agenda items at the meeting before this one. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Edited by HappyValleyGirl, 28 March 2023 - 01:59 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users