Photo

Beacon Hill Park

• Please log in to reply
828 replies to this topic

#581 jrm

jrm
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:21 AM

I do not know at what point people will say enough is enough.

But Isitt has been popular at the polls. Which makes you really wonder about your fellow citizens...

The good thing is that one day these *&*^%$ will be old and will wish they could drive into the park.  They will reap what they sow!

• rmpeers likes this

#582 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 02:04 PM

You don't even have to be old. All it takes is one accident or one surgery or one health issues. You could be 25 and not physically able to access these areas. Today I would have loved to have driven to the top of Beacon Hill with some hot chocolate or something and admire the view. But no. Can't be done.

• sebberry and rmpeers like this

#583 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 May 2020 - 02:24 PM

Many disabilities are very much invisible, too, and some may not qualify for a disabled parking pass.  Then there are those who don't feel they need one or don't want the stigma associated with one.  Its dangerous to open parks up only to drivers if they have a disabled parking pass.    

This is all very much 'inclusion by exclusion'.  

Also, with the whole social distancing thing, I've seen lots of people having tailgate parties in the back of their SUVs.  They'll all back into a circle and hide out in the back of their own cars.  Social distancing brought to you by cars.  

When cars are all electric and Ben doesn't have the oil and gas boogeyman to blame, how is he going to justify his hate for cars then?

• rmpeers likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#584 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 01:41 PM

Went through a drive through the only part of the  park one can drive through now. My husband bought me an ice cream at the drive-in, sure would have been nice to drive up to the look-out to sit and eat it but I had to make due with a view of a parking lot and a tent across from the putting green area. Anyways, does anyone know what the signs say in the field across from the totem pole, leading up the slope there? From far away they looked like a Stop sign, there were four of them. Also a group of people standing around, two could have been police but we were too far away to see. Are people not allowed to walk up the hill from that side now?

#585 Dr.Doinglittle

Dr.Doinglittle
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:03 PM

I saw them last night. They ask you to stay out and say something about sensitive environmental area.

#586 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:06 PM

I saw them last night. They ask you to stay out and say something about sensitive environmental area*.

*unless camping, then no rules apply

#587 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:10 PM

*unless camping you're acting out of survival, then no rules apply

• Nparker likes this

#588 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:12 PM

You got the above wording from a CoV press release, right GLSH?

#589 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:18 PM

I saw them last night. They ask you to stay out and say something about sensitive environmental area.

Har, har. That's a good one!

#590 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 12:54 PM

I almost had to chuckle at this.

...Councillor Charlayne Thornton-Joe added that she received an email from someone saying they had heard camping in Beacon Hill was allowed, and wondering if their visiting relatives might be allowed to camp there rather than spend money on a hotel.  She replied she wouldn’t recommend it, but added she wasn’t quite sure what to say....

https://www.iheartra...rred-1.12743709

• GaryRanson and pennymurphy2000 like this

#591 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:55 PM

I think the general public should have a giant camp-in, tromp all over the sensitive plants, and trash the park. Maybe THEN something will happen.

On CFAX this morning, I only heard part of it, but I think it was a fellow who was doing some voluntary clean-up of the boating pond and he asked the City worker if that was ok. The response was yes, but don't go anywhere near the long grass. We've been instructed not to cut it this year so we don't know what you'll find in there.

Seems like a grass fire waiting to happen.

• Nparker, GaryRanson and rmpeers like this

#592 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:04 PM

...Seems like a grass fire waiting to happen.

Kill 102 birds with one stone.

#593 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:34 PM

... don't go anywhere near the long grass. We've been instructed not to cut it this year so we don't know what you'll find in there.

Velociraptors?

• aastra, GaryRanson and mbjj like this

#594 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:34 PM

I'm pretty sure velociraptors are prohibited in the park. They're strictly enforcing that.

#595 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:48 PM

I'm pretty sure velociraptors are prohibited in the park. They're strictly enforcing that.

What if the velociraptors are homeless?

#596 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:54 PM

Raptors running rampant would be a blatant non-recreational use of the park, not to mention the damage they would do to sensitive ecosystems, or the glaring public health/public safety aspects.

#597 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 07:56 PM

Who gets to tell velociraptors that they must leave the park? That might not go well.

#598 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 08:17 PM

In a showdown between velociraptors and vulnerables - who wins?

#599 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:01 AM

My daughter tells me there are a bunch of new signs along Arbutus Drive, something to the effect that the rocky, long grass area there has important First Nations' significance, no camping, no biking, no walking. If I feel brave enough to venture there (whilst parking in nearby residential zone most likely), I'll try get a photo.

Stanley Park is reopening to vehicles next week. I sure hope Beacon Hill will soon. If the playground within the park is now open, how can they keep the adjacent parking lot closed? Lots of drivers use that to take kids to the playground or nearby picnic tables. I miss driving up to the look-out.

#600 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,043 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:11 AM

In a showdown between velociraptors and vulnerables - who wins?

the vulnerable are normally armed, but only with knives and airsoft guns.

so I lean toward the raptors winning that close-in grappling and combat.
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users