Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5673 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#5281 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:39 AM

...Helps tells us that this is all perfectly normal.

Based on her track record, it is.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#5282 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:11 PM

The ditch diggers have set up a command post at Wallace and West Saanich. Looks like we are in for over a year of trench warfare.

Nice of them to pepper a slew of signs around the neighbourhood on utility poles. Looks like some more emails are in order to our friendly bylaw officer. We frown on this kind of unlawful visual pollution out here in the country...so does BC Hydro.

wwt.JPG

• Hotel Mike likes this

#5283 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:51 AM

Some pics from current-day Dallas Road.  It sure is busy and noisy along quite a few sections of it.

The work seems to be concentrated on:

- The west (Ogden Point) end of the pipe (between James Bay Anglers and Ogden Point Café). I heard that they had to get through some rock in this section, and there is planned re-positioning of water pipes going on also (not sure if that’s the case for the entire length, but I don’t think so).

- The east end, between Clover Point and Cook St.

- Lots of activity at the Clover pump station too.

From what I can see, so much of it will have to be re-asphalted, re-curbed, and re-planted, what with machinery driving over the remaining bit of roadway, and with half the width of the fields being disturbed in a lot of areas.  I can see that it’s a good time to improve the roads, add in some crosswalks, add in the bike lane atop the sewage line/gravel track, and replant where necessary. 

Attached Images

• 1.jpg
  • IMG_2340.jpg
  • IMG_2345.jpg
  • IMG_2346.jpg
  • IMG_2348.jpg
  • IMG_2351.jpg
  • IMG_2352.jpg
  • IMG_2353.jpg
  • IMG_2354.jpg
  • IMG_2356.jpg

• Mike K., jonny, thundergun and 2 others like this

#5284 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:57 AM

wow!  great shots!  especially the last one.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 March 2019 - 07:59 AM.

• Kungsberg likes this

#5285 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:40 AM

Nicely done!
  • Kungsberg likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5286 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:15 AM

Good job....gives some idea of the broader scale and scope of the project beyond the main plant site on the Esquimalt side of the harbour..

#5287 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:33 AM

How Esquimalt might spend sewage cash; maybe rebuild a Japanese teahouse that was looted

https://www.timescol...oted-1.23771577

This kind of reminds me of people who are planning how to spend their tax return, with no thought to existing debts or obligations.

• Nparker likes this

#5288 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:38 AM

How Esquimalt might spend sewage cash; maybe rebuild a Japanese teahouse that was looted

https://www.timescol...oted-1.23771577

This kind of reminds me of people who are planning how to spend their tax return, with no thought to existing debts or obligations.

They are limited as to what they can spend the money on. Can only be capital projects in certain areas like parks

#5289 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:03 AM

Please tell me Esquimalt Road will be re-paved once the project is completed?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5290 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:44 AM

They are limited as to what they can spend the money on. Can only be capital projects in certain areas like parks

Well that's anticlimactic.  <_<

#5291 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:45 AM

CRD sewage-treatment project needs another $10M

https://www.timescol...-10m-1.23787956

I'd like to say I give a Mr. Floatie but I don't.  This arguably doesn't even fit the definition of "news" unless today's sunrise is also on the front page.

#5292 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:08 AM

I would normally agree that a $10m overage on a $750m Government project isn’t news. It isn’t really $10m though, it is $100m or 15% of the original amount and we are what 25% through the project? The $70m contingency has been used up and they are $30m over budget though they now claim $20m of the work is unnecessary so they can cut it.

The Provincial and Federal contributions are fixed so any overruns come out of the local taxpayers pocket. At this current pace of increase taxpayers could be looking at a doubling of the proposed sewage hike or more if FN don’t pay their share.
  • Nparker likes this

#5293 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:21 AM

...The Provincial and Federal contributions are fixed so any overruns come out of the local taxpayers pocket. At this current pace of increase taxpayers could be looking at a doubling of the proposed sewage hike...

This can't possibly come as a surprise to anyone. This boondoggle has been a giant crap on local taxpayers since the day it was first proposed.

I am also still waiting to hear how this project will keep contaminated storm water (road run-off etc.) out of the ocean that surrounds us.

#5294 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:28 AM

This can't possibly come as a surprise to anyone. This boondoggle has been a giant crap on local taxpayers since the day it was first proposed.

I am also still waiting to hear how this project will keep contaminated storm water (road run-off etc.) out of the ocean that surrounds us.

The answer is it won't as it was never designed to.

I wonder what the impact of the extra $50-$100 a month rent that will need to be charged to cover the sewage fees will be. I am sure that most tenants don't care because they think that rent controls will prevent those fees from being passed on.

Edited by spanky123, 11 April 2019 - 09:28 AM.

#5295 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:33 AM

Wow.

$69 million contingency funds already used. $20 million portion of the project will be cut. $10 million in additional funding needed immediately.

Maybe it’s a good thing the CRD isn’t rushing to expand the Sooke reservoir.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#5296 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:34 AM

The answer is it won't as it was never designed to...

Oh I know that. It just amuses me that the no one ever discuses this part the issue.

#5297 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:36 AM

The answer is it won't as it was never designed to.

I wonder what the impact of the extra $50-$100 a month rent that will need to be charged to cover the sewage fees will be. I am sure that most tenants don't care because they think that rent controls will prevent those fees from being passed on.

Oh gosh, this is going to be a nightmare.

The smart landlords have been using their maximum annual rent increase allowance since this boondoggle was first costed. The ones who will feel the pain will be those who haven’t been raising rents, and who will be forced to welcome new tenants at significantly higher rents to subsidized existing tenants. Meanwhile advocacy groups are trying to limit the ability for landlords to raise rents between tenants.

Know it all.

#5298 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:44 PM

Oh gosh, this is going to be a nightmare.

The smart landlords have been using their maximum annual rent increase allowance since this boondoggle was first costed. The ones who will feel the pain will be those who haven’t been raising rents, and who will be forced to welcome new tenants at significantly higher rents to subsidized existing tenants. Meanwhile advocacy groups are trying to limit the ability for landlords to raise rents between tenants.

I can't believe that there are still people who are too lazy/stupid to charge their tenants utilities.  Including utilities is a recipe for losses.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#5299 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 10:47 PM

Oh I know that. It just amuses me that the no one ever discuses this part the issue.

...road/stormwater runoff isn't the worst of it... https://www.scientif...wage-treatment/ ... in fact, the waste that wastewater plants treat best was already being treated just fine - by the ocean... 

#5300 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 10:55 PM

...the waste that wastewater plants treat best was already being treated just fine - by the ocean... 

But who needs science when you have a dancing piece of **** as the basis of your argument.

mr-floatie.JPG

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users