Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#21341 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:24 AM

Perhaps the Biblical flood was being referenced.

Jokes are always funnier when explained in full.

#21342 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:26 AM

Perhaps the Biblical flood was being referenced.

Any resemblances between present circumstances and the antediluvian age are purely intentional coincidental, of course.

#21343 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,082 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:27 AM

anyway as the mayor says on cfax this morning we are only 68 days away from all homeless being housed.

so it'll all be over then.  

the moderators will be able to shut down this thread because there will be no more homeless.

i'm expecting national headlines on april 1st (that's a fitting date):

Victoria, BC solves homelessness

in fact i expect homeless people across the country to read those headlines and come here just to have a look how it was done.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 January 2021 - 11:29 AM.

• Redd42 likes this

#21344 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:29 AM

...the mayor says on cfax this morning we are only 68 days away from all homeless being housed.

Well, that's encouraging, isn't it? I don't think we've ever heard a claim to that effect before, have we? I challenge you to find 10,000 other examples in less than 30 seconds.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#21345 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,082 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:33 AM

2014:

Her campaign focused heavily on housing and homelessness.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...toria-1.2836857

^ to be fair she never said "ending" it.

2015:

Victoria mayor's message to tourists: parks used by homeless aren't for camping

https://toronto.city...nt-for-camping/

2017:

Victoria eyes deadline slip on major goals, such as ending homelessness

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps wants to change the 2018 homelessness deadline, listed in city council’s strategic planning document, to 2021, to match the revised target set by the Coalition to End Homelessness, which she co-chairs.

https://www.timescol...sness-1.6288763

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 January 2021 - 11:36 AM.

#21346 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:34 AM

Victoria, BC solves homelessness..

I think someone already suggested this headline: https://vibrantvicto...ssues/?p=585641

#21347 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:34 AM

Was this bylaw actually changed or is it just not being enforced?

Pretty sure council changed it. In discussion the question came up whether by-law could just ignore their own by-law (may have been Dubow asking) and the answer was no council can't ignore their own by-law but someone can make a motion for a vote to change it.

#21348 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:37 AM

...we are only 68 days away from all homeless being housed.

Total victory is always waiting just over the next hill.

Does it really land on April 1? Sigh. Everything in politics is just one big taunt.

#21349 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:07 PM

Here are our taxpayer dollars at work being mismanaged.

Early this morning there were no fewer than 10 vehicles in attendance with 20-25 employees at work, mostly CoV Bylaw, Parks, a police car, and a commercial-sized rubbish bin had been delivered. Half the debris had already been cleared away, including plenty of bikes and bike parts. 

Attached Images

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 7.jpg

#21350 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:07 PM

Attached Images

• 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg
  • 10.jpg
  • 11.jpg

• aastra likes this

#21351 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:08 PM

Jesus wept.

• sebberry, North Shore, Redd42 and 1 other like this

#21352 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:25 PM

Victoria, BC solves homelessness

in fact i expect homeless people across the country to read those headlines and come here just to have a look how it was done.

We talk about the 'hidden homeless', those couch surfing, those paying for long-term hotel rentals, etc...

Mayor Helps hasn't done squat to solve homelessness.  We've just created hundreds of hidden homeless surfing on government couches.  

The tents and Beacon Hill Park are getting the bulk of the attention - how are we going to protect neighborhoods around the hotels if those surfing in them aren't being properly supported and managed.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#21353 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:45 PM

^ That is why Helps' commitment to end homelessness by April 1st is strange. Generally she doesn't take on challenges that have a risk of failing and/or that she can't blame someone else for. 

It is hard to think of any scenario where homelessness ends. They can stuff people into temporary housing for a few months to get them of the street and out of parks, but as soon as the money stops or other communities get wind then the parks will be full again. Perhaps her plan is to claim to have solved the problem and then keep denying it exists as things revert back to 'normal'. Maybe she plans to get everyone stuffed into housing and then resign to run for the Liberals and then blame her successor for any subsequent issues.

#21354 JimV

JimV
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 01:06 PM

^ That is why Helps' commitment to end homelessness by April 1st is strange. Generally she doesn't take on challenges that have a risk of failing and/or that she can't blame someone else for. ...

It was really more a statement of intention than a commitment.  In reply to a question from Dubow some time ago she assured him that the date was flexible, was not mandated in any bylaw and depended on conditions.  More recently she has emphasized the role of David Ebey in finding more housing.  I haven’t heard Ebey himself making such confident predictions.

In short, I don’t think she’ll have any trouble wiggling out of responsibility when these grand plans fail.  As for her future political ambitions I rather doubt the federal Liberals would be very interested in fielding such a toxic candidate.  Their prospects in this riding are dim anyway and Lisa would reduce them to zero.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and Kungsberg like this

#21355 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 01:09 PM

Re: those pictures above, doesn't it seem stupid that very old oak trees were planted in spots where they could easily get scorched?

• Nparker, sebberry, Daveyboy and 5 others like this

#21356 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 01:17 PM

...doesn't it seem stupid that very old oak trees were planted in spots where they could easily get scorched?

I shouldn't even joke about it. The CoV's war against mature oak trees predates the CoV's war against homelessness by many decades. They might like another excuse to intensify the program.

#21357 JimV

JimV
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 01:19 PM

the moderators will be able to shut down this thread because there will be no more homeless.

That’s kind of a shame in a way.  This thread has been fun.  I’ll also miss the opportunity to drop into the care tent and share some conviviality and good fellowship with my unhoused neighbours (and perhaps recover some property borrowed from my yard.)  But I guess I’ll take comfort in knowing that this problem has finally been solved.

• Nparker likes this

#21358 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 01:40 PM

...I don’t think she’ll have any trouble wiggling out of responsibility when these grand plans fail.

If Her Worseship has one special talent, it's ensuring she is never responsible when her plans fail to achieve their promised results.

• Love the rock likes this

#21359 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 03:08 PM

During a quick CFAX clip the mayor stated her goal now includes 250-units of housing. Previously her goal was to house just over 200 people residing in 191 tents.

The goal has increased by 25%, which makes one wonder if she has been informed that there are now more people in the parks than there were a month ago, or whether she believes there will be more by March 31st.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#21360 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 03:13 PM

...one wonders if she has been informed that there are now more people in the parks than there were a month ago, or whether she believes there will be more by March 31st

I wonder how many more there will be after March 31, 2021.

• A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users