Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25851 replies to this topic

#22861 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:11 AM

anyway.  tiny homes open today.  so homelessness is over.

close up this thread.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#22862 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:17 AM

anyway.  tiny homes open today.  so homelessness is over.

close up this thread.

Done! :D

locked.JPG

• Mike K., Nparker and todd like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22863 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 06:12 PM

I took a little walk through BHP this evening from the Beacon Hill Drive-In along Fountain Lake and then the path by Goodacre to Toronto Street.  I counted 26 tents in that little area, 6 or 8 of them the big slovenly encampments with adjacent debris heaps; you know the kind.  This was before 7pm, i.e. no camping hours.  Good to know they will all be gone by tomorrow morning per the latest deadline.

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#22864 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 06:20 PM

... Good to know they will all be gone by tomorrow morning per the latest deadline.

Lemme know how that goes.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#22865 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 06:23 PM

Wasn't the deadline today?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#22866 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:11 PM

Wasn't the deadline today?

Did the CoV get their injunction yet, like Stephen Andrew said was necessary to actually enforce the bylaw?

#22867 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:34 PM

Did the CoV get their injunction yet, like Stephen Andrew said was necessary to actually enforce the bylaw?

An injunction should have been drawn up and ready to file with the courts as soon as the agreement was made between the CoV and the Province.

#22868 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:06 AM

you know, all this time the CofV could have been offsetting costs just by registering here  ;-)

https://www.hipcamp.com/en-CA

#22869 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 03:37 AM

B.C. Housing said as of Thursday, 191 people who had been sheltering in parks had moved indoors. With the opening of the tiny homes, they anticipate 220 people will have moved indoors by next week, which is the number of people they counted sheltering in Victoria parks early this year. Most of the indoor spaces secured by the province are now occupied or in the process of being occupied.

B.C. Housing said there are still people unhoused in the city, and outreach workers continue to visit parks daily to help people fill out supportive housing applications. All-day camping in city parks is no longer permitted.

https://www.timescol...igns-1.24319456

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 May 2021 - 03:37 AM.

#22870 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:57 AM

B.C. Housing said as of Thursday, 191 people who had been sheltering in parks had moved indoors. With the opening of the tiny homes, they anticipate 220 people will have moved indoors by next week, which is the number of people they counted sheltering in Victoria parks early this year. Most of the indoor spaces secured by the province are now occupied or in the process of being occupied.

B.C. Housing said there are still people unhoused in the city, and outreach workers continue to visit parks daily to help people fill out supportive housing applications. All-day camping in city parks is no longer permitted.

https://www.timescol...igns-1.24319456

Wouldn't now be the perfect time to introduce mandatory registration for anyone wishing to camp overnight?

- Contact park services and request overnight camping.

- Park services will provide application form where person must complete registration form, provide full name with photo ID.

- Park services receives completed application form and performs eligibility check.

- Eligibility check consists of: check name against various databases, e.g. unpaid camping fees or other unpaid city fees (unpaid traffic violations, unpaid parking, unpaid taxes etc), criminal record, warrants, also any flags from Canada-wide shelters/supportive/temporary housing databases. Finally, a check against all shelters and other indoor spaces availability. If indoor spaces available, applicant is denied for camping and a reservation made for them at available indoor location.

- Once applicant passes above eligibility check they are asked to select their Camping Plan:

Camping Plan A: $10 - Camping only
Camping Plan B: $10 - Camping fee waived and free breakfast waiting for you at Red Cedar Cafe.

I would be thrilled to lead a project for the city to develop this process and operationalize it. I can put this into Visio for heaven's sake. I really wonder if the city is deliberately keeping process vague.
  • LJ, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#22871 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 15 May 2021 - 06:56 AM

Wouldn't now be the perfect time to introduce mandatory registration for anyone wishing to camp overnight?

- Contact park services and request overnight camping.

- Park services will provide application form where person must complete registration form, provide full name with photo ID.

- Park services receives completed application form and performs eligibility check.

- Eligibility check consists of: check name against various databases, e.g. unpaid camping fees or other unpaid city fees (unpaid traffic violations, unpaid parking, unpaid taxes etc), criminal record, warrants, also any flags from Canada-wide shelters/supportive/temporary housing databases. Finally, a check against all shelters and other indoor spaces availability. If indoor spaces available, applicant is denied for camping and a reservation made for them at available indoor location.

- Once applicant passes above eligibility check they are asked to select their Camping Plan:

Camping Plan A: $10 - Camping only
Camping Plan B: $10 - Camping fee waived and free breakfast waiting for you at Red Cedar Cafe.

I would be thrilled to lead a project for the city to develop this process and operationalize it. I can put this into Visio for heaven's sake. I really wonder if the city is deliberately keeping process vague.

Brilliant!  You know those cute little 'tourist info' centres all across BC?  We should set something like those up, strategically placed of course and that's where people who have no means to do any of the above online to 'check in'.  

#22872 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:00 AM

Lemme know how that goes.

Hey, they’re still there.  I’m shocked.  When city council hears about this they’ll be right on it.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#22873 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:58 AM

Hey, they’re still there.  I’m shocked.  When city council hears about this they’ll be right on it.

It is like inflation, City Hall will tell you there are no homeless camping in parks even though you see the number increasing every day.

• Mike K. and A Girl is No one like this

#22874 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 01:31 PM

Well, it didn’t take long.  Big fire next to the new Russell street shelter.  Suspect apparently a new resident of same.  The homeless keep showing their gratitude.  Of course they do need wrap around support.  I suggest straight jackets.

• LJ and mbjj like this

#22875 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 03:40 PM

Latest report:  The fire was on Mary street, a couple of blocks away. The suspect was one of Victoria’s most vulnerable, arrested at the nearby Russell street shelter.  Estimated $400k damage.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#22876 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 03:41 PM

Same block. Just the west side of it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22877 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:39 PM

There has been a tent set up in daytime for at least two days along the goose where Dockside green is. When I rode by today, i was surprised to see two police cars parked a few steps away with 4 officers, totally ignoring it. Just like they ignored the bike chop shops in BHP.
So much for the promise of no tenting during daytime.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#22878 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:46 PM

https://twitter.com/Adam_Stirling

^ another safety net.  a separate 24/7 housing system with wraparound supports for criminals and those that are dangerous to staff and other residents?  how about jail or just smarten up?  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 May 2021 - 04:50 PM.

• Nparker, Midnightly, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

#22879 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:48 PM

There has been a tent set up in daytime for at least two days along the goose where Dockside green is. When I rode by today, i was surprised to see two police cars parked a few steps away with 4 officers, totally ignoring it. Just like they ignored the bike chop shops in BHP.
So much for the promise of no tenting during daytime.

I have this saved in my bookmarks for quickfire submissions:

https://www.victoria...gMVgiHEFd1prrTs
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#22880 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:48 PM

Latest report: The fire was on Mary street, a couple of blocks away. The suspect was one of Victoria’s most vulnerable, arrested at the nearby Russell street shelter. Estimated $400k damage.

Do you think the local media will feature the owners of the burned property to get sympathy? Nope. Nothing to see here.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)