Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25965 replies to this topic

#23121 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 02:26 PM

Better health care services than I get.

I wonder if I stand outside the doors can I see a doctor too . I think a name change is in order from most vulnerable to elite citizens.
Free food ,free housing, early paid retirement, drugs and medications paid for free medical treatment right outside your front door . Hey if you reck this place no worries we’ll give you another.

What’s the incentive to leave and pay your own way in society.

Edited by Love the rock, 08 July 2021 - 02:36 PM.

• LJ likes this

#23122 Shelby

Shelby
  • 269 posts
  • LocationToo close

Posted 08 July 2021 - 04:48 PM

Better health care services than I get.

Same here..neither husband or I can find a GP

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

#23123 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 10:08 AM

Same here..neither husband or I can find a GP

We went two years without after our former GP retired.  We are now registered wth the new JB clinic.  Not quite the same as having your own family doctor but at least we get to see the same guy each time.

If GPs were allowed to practice outside the medical plan this shortage would disappear almost overnight, but that’s a big topic and OT here.

#23124 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 10:47 AM

Apparently both Canadian Tire and private security firms in Victoria had really, really good years last year - largely supported by City of Victoria spending and demand for camping supplies. 

Ya, my coworker was at the Canadian Tire on Hillside last winter and talked to some city guys loading up camping gear! 

#23125 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 12:14 PM

A manufactured “crisis”… just like the one Eby threatened on Penticton’s population.
All at our taxpayer expense…

#23126 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 07:03 PM

In better news, I walked through BHP tonight for the first time in months.  Lots of normal people strolling along, some with their dogs.  No violent crazies to be seen.  No tents, at least from the paths, though I did see one person sacked out near the old birdhouse (apparently untroubled by the reek of heron droppings.)  I said to a group passing by, “nice to have the park back again.”  They agreed enthusiastically.  Overall it looked pretty good.

• Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#23127 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 03:52 PM

^ No different then what happened at the court house or Topaz. Once the activists get what they want they shut down one site while they plan for the next. The homeless are still flocking to Victoria and they will no doubt have a new encampment set up for them once activists feel there is another gain to be had.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#23128 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:53 PM

Apparently in San Francisco you can go in to any store and shoplift up to $950 worth of merchandise with no consequences.

https://www.foxnews....fficer-responds

https://www.youtube....h?v=CLbvtRIo3i8

• Victoria Watcher likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#23129 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:34 PM

For crying out loud LJ, don’t bring that up.
  • LJ and A Girl is No one like this

#23130 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 08:36 PM

Apparently shoplifting anywhere in Texas is not such a good idea. 

#23131 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 05:00 AM

Central Saanich is calling on the province to give preferential treatment to three categories of individuals, including seniors, when it comes to the supportive housing project under construction on Prosser Road.

At its June 28 meeting, council approved a motion co-sponsored by Couns. Niall Paltiel and Bob Thompson requesting a preferred outcome for people meeting at least one of three profiles.

They include stabilized individuals who are working on achieving employment and looking for a secure and drug-free environment to transition from an at-risk environment; local and First Nations residents displaced due to a lack of housing and appropriate treatment now looking to return to a more familiar environment; and seniors looking for a safe and substance-free environment to transition from an at-risk environment.

https://www.vicnews....rosser-project/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 July 2021 - 05:00 AM.

#23132 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:03 AM

Apparently in San Francisco you can go in to any store and shoplift up to $950 worth of merchandise with no consequences.

https://www.foxnews....fficer-responds

https://www.youtube....h?v=CLbvtRIo3i8

ID everyone before they enter a store. This is not rocket science! 

#23133 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 10:35 AM

Central Saanich is calling on the province to give preferential treatment to three categories of individuals, including seniors, when it comes to the supportive housing project under construction on Prosser Road.

At its June 28 meeting, council approved a motion co-sponsored by Couns. Niall Paltiel and Bob Thompson requesting a preferred outcome for people meeting at least one of three profiles.

They include stabilized individuals who are working on achieving employment and looking for a secure and drug-free environment to transition from an at-risk environment; local and First Nations residents displaced due to a lack of housing and appropriate treatment now looking to return to a more familiar environment; and seniors looking for a safe and substance-free environment to transition from an at-risk environment.

https://www.vicnews....rosser-project/

Good luck. I think everyone knows the project will not be drug free.

#23134 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 10:56 AM

Good luck. I think everyone knows the project will not be drug free.

Good luck. I think everyone knows the project will  be free drugs.

• Nparker, Barrrister and JimV like this

#23135 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 02:59 PM

Person experiencing homelessness struck intentionally by motorist in Nanaimo

Incident happened Saturday, July 10, on Victoria Avenue

July 11, 2021

RCMP believe a person experiencing homelessness was intentionally struck by a motorist last night in Nanaimo’s Wellington area.

The incident happened Saturday, July 10, at 9:30 p.m. at Victoria Avenue near 102nd Street, according to a Nanaimo RCMP press release. Police say a male victim was pushing a shopping cart along Victoria Road when a black car with several occupants slowed and stopped.

“The victim and those in the vehicle exchanged words and then the driver of the suspect vehicle reportedly sped up and drove over the man, knocking him to the ground,” noted the release. “Witnesses said one of the occupants got out of the car and discharged pepper spray at the victim as he lay on the ground.”

Morehttps://www.nanaimob...WHHf_UrlI2f0abg

#23136 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 04:56 PM

Man bites dog

#23137 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 07:03 PM

ID everyone before they enter a store. This is not rocket science! 

You may not have watched/read the article, it doesn't matter who they are, the police won't attend and no charges will be laid.

These are survival crimes don't ya know, everyone needs a few hundred dollars worth of hair products.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#23138 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 10:41 AM

Those black cars, they can be dangerous.

#23139 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 06:04 AM

-Mr. Murray is confusing parole with probation.

Screen the dangerous from the unfortunate

Letters to the Editor - Times Colonist - 13 Jul 2021

Willi Boepple makes a point, repeatedly, in her July 7 piece describing the homeless experience: There are a lot of violent criminals to be found in that population, who make the lives of the homeless much direr than they already are.

We read about them regularly in the TC. The story invariably ends with the words “was released on recognizance with a promise to appear,” or “several outstanding warrants,” or that old favourite, “violation of the terms of parole.”

More: https://www.timescol...nate-1.24341506

Michel Murray, Saanich

• Nparker and Hotel Mike like this

#23140 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 08:54 AM

Poitras said the partnership between the MNA and the community is similar to a project in Grande Prairie she said started with her office almost 20 years ago. By working with the Grande Prairie city council of the day, Poitras said they were able to move homeless camps from along the river banks to a formal camp area near the municipal offices. From there, she said, permanent structures have been built and purchased, becoming part of one of the province's most successful municipal homeless campaigns.

According to the City of Grande Prairie website, the most recent survey shows 228 people identifying as homeless out of a population of about 65,000. The latest figures are double what they were from the survey two years before. The survey also breaks down the current homeless population by identifying that more than 50 per cent identify as Indigenous. Almost half of the people recorded in the most current survey are also new to that community, saying they came to Grande Prairie with a year of the survey, mainly for the homeless resources offered.

https://www.lakeland...ss-camp-3683976

• A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users