Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
23247 replies to this topic

#23121 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 25,061 posts

Posted 26 June 2021 - 05:55 AM

Thé LA sheriff gets it… let’s hope he starts something…

« You cannot build your way out of homelessness,” Villanueva said. “It was the Los Angeles Homeless Authority themselves that said for every 100 that we house, they’re replaced by 120 on the street – that math seems to elude these people … our elected officials.” »

https://justthenews....aign=newsletter

“It is a national disgrace,” Villanueva said. “All those 501 C-3 organizations … we’re going to talk about money; there is a homeless industrial complex, and they’re raking in money, not by the millions, not by the hundreds of millions, by the billions.”

The top earning employees compensated by the Venice Family Clinic revenue, a nonprofit organization tasked with providing comprehensive health care services to low-income Venice Beach residents, total over $2.8 million, Villanueva said.

Additionally, Los Angeles spends close to $1 billion annually on homeless services, while homelessness has only gotten worse.
  • kitty surprise likes this

#23122 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 287 posts

Posted 26 June 2021 - 08:02 PM

Toronto gets it, "it’s not the homeless looking for a confrontation; it’s their evangelical champions."

https://www.thestar....impression=true
  • pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#23123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 64,916 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 06:58 AM

On Prime there is a docuseries called The Beat which follows cops working in the the downtown east side.

The overarching theme, from the 2010 period of the series, is the revolving door justice system that handles serious repeat offenders with kid gloves, and how that undermines police work and creates havoc on the streets. Sound familiar?

What’s shocking is that series then was what Victoria is like now. I highly recommend people watch it to understand how the police reports we read from VicPD play out in real life, on camera.
  • Nparker, sebberry, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23124 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,262 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:02 AM

Apparently both Canadian Tire and private security firms in Victoria had really, really good years last year - largely supported by City of Victoria spending and demand for camping supplies. 

• Barrrister likes this

#23125 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:53 AM

Grrrr

#23126 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 04:44 AM

New mobile clinic serves region’s street population

Times Colonist  8 Jul 2021

mobile.png
Nurse Karen Lundgren with patient Garry Gordon in the van, seen below, that’s serving as a mobile health clinic, in the parking lot of the Lodge, formerly the Travelodge on Gorge Road East.

Until recently, health outreach workers for Victoria Cool Aid Society who wanted to see their homeless patients had to go on foot, with all of their supplies on their backs.

“Having ‘feet on the street’ is your traditional outreach,” said Karen Lundgren, clinical nurse leader with Cool Aid. “We knew that we could see more people, go to more places and do more with the right equipment.”

That right equipment has arrived in the form of a new specially equipped van — a medical office on wheels — that will be used by the health outreach team, which consists of a doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, social worker and outreach coordinator.

Morehttps://digitaltimes...281586653592748

#23127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 29,440 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 05:25 AM

Better health care services than I get.

• Love the rock, Shelby and A Girl is No one like this

#23128 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 08:04 AM

Better health care than most working people in this city get. 

• Nparker, Matt R., Love the rock and 2 others like this

#23129 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 760 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 02:26 PM

I wonder if I stand outside the doors can I see a doctor too . I think a name change is in order from most vulnerable to elite citizens.
Free food ,free housing, early paid retirement, drugs and medications paid for free medical treatment right outside your front door . Hey if you reck this place no worries we’ll give you another.

What’s the incentive to leave and pay your own way in society.

Edited by Love the rock, 08 July 2021 - 02:36 PM.

• LJ likes this

#23130 Shelby

Shelby
  • 265 posts
  • LocationToo close

Posted 08 July 2021 - 04:48 PM

Same here..neither husband or I can find a GP

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

#23131 JimV

JimV
  • 681 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 10:08 AM

Same here..neither husband or I can find a GP

We went two years without after our former GP retired.  We are now registered wth the new JB clinic.  Not quite the same as having your own family doctor but at least we get to see the same guy each time.

If GPs were allowed to practice outside the medical plan this shortage would disappear almost overnight, but that’s a big topic and OT here.

#23132 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 10:47 AM

Apparently both Canadian Tire and private security firms in Victoria had really, really good years last year - largely supported by City of Victoria spending and demand for camping supplies. 

Ya, my coworker was at the Canadian Tire on Hillside last winter and talked to some city guys loading up camping gear! 

#23133 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 12:14 PM

A manufactured “crisis”… just like the one Eby threatened on Penticton’s population.
All at our taxpayer expense…

#23134 JimV

JimV
  • 681 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 07:03 PM

In better news, I walked through BHP tonight for the first time in months.  Lots of normal people strolling along, some with their dogs.  No violent crazies to be seen.  No tents, at least from the paths, though I did see one person sacked out near the old birdhouse (apparently untroubled by the reek of heron droppings.)  I said to a group passing by, “nice to have the park back again.”  They agreed enthusiastically.  Overall it looked pretty good.

• Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#23135 spanky123

spanky123
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 03:52 PM

^ No different then what happened at the court house or Topaz. Once the activists get what they want they shut down one site while they plan for the next. The homeless are still flocking to Victoria and they will no doubt have a new encampment set up for them once activists feel there is another gain to be had.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#23136 LJ

LJ
  • 10,717 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:53 PM

Apparently in San Francisco you can go in to any store and shoplift up to $950 worth of merchandise with no consequences.

https://www.foxnews....fficer-responds

https://www.youtube....h?v=CLbvtRIo3i8

• Victoria Watcher likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#23137 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 11,653 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:34 PM

For crying out loud LJ, don’t bring that up.
  • LJ and A Girl is No one like this

#23138 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 08:36 PM

Apparently shoplifting anywhere in Texas is not such a good idea. 

#23139 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 25,061 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 05:00 AM

Central Saanich is calling on the province to give preferential treatment to three categories of individuals, including seniors, when it comes to the supportive housing project under construction on Prosser Road.

At its June 28 meeting, council approved a motion co-sponsored by Couns. Niall Paltiel and Bob Thompson requesting a preferred outcome for people meeting at least one of three profiles.

They include stabilized individuals who are working on achieving employment and looking for a secure and drug-free environment to transition from an at-risk environment; local and First Nations residents displaced due to a lack of housing and appropriate treatment now looking to return to a more familiar environment; and seniors looking for a safe and substance-free environment to transition from an at-risk environment.

https://www.vicnews....rosser-project/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 July 2021 - 05:00 AM.

#23140 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:03 AM

Apparently in San Francisco you can go in to any store and shoplift up to $950 worth of merchandise with no consequences.

https://www.foxnews....fficer-responds

https://www.youtube....h?v=CLbvtRIo3i8

ID everyone before they enter a store. This is not rocket science! 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), Google (1)