Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
23172 replies to this topic

#23161 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

BIG TEXAS FORUMER

• 16,104 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:15 AM

I'm kind of surprised Rev. Al is walking away from something he's dedicated his life to. I assumed he'd be out there on the street ministering until his last dying breath. But hey, he deserves a rest. I wonder how he'll spend the rest of his life.

“I mean I just don’t understand the big Texas part, like maybe he’s from Texas? I want to know the back story.”

#23162 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 23,863 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:16 AM

I'm kind of surprised Rev. Al is walking away from something he's dedicated his life to. I assumed he'd be out there on the street ministering until his last dying breath. But hey, he deserves a rest. I wonder how he'll spend the rest of his life.

maybe he'll still take a salary as a consultant.  or a pension.

looks like he pays himself ~$80,000/year on $500k year revenue.  

https://www.charityd...49571484RR0001/

and $72,000/yr. spent on "office supplies and expenses".  up from just $6600 6 years ago.   probably rents his own home office to the charity.

$81,955 spend on "management", up from zero in 2013 and 2014 and $27,303 in 2015. 

$196,000 spent on "fundraising".  up from $41,000 in 2013.

all of the above increases while income remained about the same.  

the poverty game can be very lucrative.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 July 2021 - 06:26 AM.

• Nparker, LJ, sebberry and 3 others like this

#23163 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,019 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:17 AM

To think Al started Our Place with just that old run down house on Pandora. It was such a small operation, how times have changed. Anyone have pics of the original Our Place?

In the mid 80's I remember looking for a first apartment on Pandora, it was one of the most beautiful streets I had seen coming from a small town. Gorgeous green space and flowers in the middle of the city - I knew I had to live on this street (well, not literally). I started from downtown and walked up, only finding the first vacancy at Fernwood and Pandora. Took the apartment that day, although I wanted to be much closer to downtown.
  • Matt R. likes this

#23164 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:25 AM

I guess we have Al Tysick to thank for the “new and improved” Pandora street.
  • sebberry and Victoria Watcher like this

#23165 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 3,630 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 09:59 AM

To think Al started Our Place with just that old run down house on Pandora. It was such a small operation, how times have changed. Anyone have pics of the original Our Place?

In the mid 80's I remember looking for a first apartment on Pandora, it was one of the most beautiful streets I had seen coming from a small town. Gorgeous green space and flowers in the middle of the city - I knew I had to live on this street (well, not literally). I started from downtown and walked up, only finding the first vacancy at Fernwood and Pandora. Took the apartment that day, although I wanted to be much closer to downtown.

Indeed! Early and mid 90’s I rented an apartment on that corner at the Royal something or other. We always called it the Royale with Cheese so can’t remember it’s real name. Loved the area, walk to Fernwood village, downtown, pretty quiet at night and “affordable”. I’m sure the area has changed a lot since then.

Matt.

#23166 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:43 AM

Vista Royale! Yes, I lived in that building too. From about 1986 to 1991. Central to everything, even Oak Bay and Rockland. Maybe they’ll convert Our Place one day to a stable residences and support, kind of like what they did to the shelter at the end of Chinatown. Always used to be lots of problems there until they changed the clientele, made a world of difference. Not sure Rock Bay, Douglas street or Gorge would really want to take more on though, lol. People need help and support and we’ll always have issues caused by people experiencing homelessness or drug addiction, but surrounding them with the greatest density/amount of people in Victoria seems less than ideal.

Edited by zoomer, 20 July 2021 - 10:44 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#23167 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

BIG TEXAS FORUMER

• 16,104 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:20 AM

The Colonist says Vista Royale was built in 1974 on a site that formerly belonged to a fourplex of one-bedroom suites.

• zoomer likes this

“I mean I just don’t understand the big Texas part, like maybe he’s from Texas? I want to know the back story.”

#23168 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 23,863 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:34 AM

California Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom on Monday signed what his office described as “the largest funding and reform package for housing and homelessness” in the state’s history, directing $12 billion over two years into services focusing on “behavioral health housing and solutions to tent encampments.”

ABC 7 reported, “The governor was in Sonoma County Monday addressing the homelessness crisis and was asked whether all the money the state is spending could be a magnet for the unhoused to come to California.”

Newsom answered: “To the extent people want to come here for new beginnings and all income levels, that’s part of the California dream and we have a responsibility to accommodate and enliven and inspire and the California dream is still alive and well.”

https://www.dailywir...paign=dwtwitter

#23169 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:54 PM

Maybe our homeless should consider heading down to CA. CA is a sanctuary state after all so no immigration issues…. weather is much nicer there than here, and even MORE services….
  • Daveyboy, Love the rock and newbie_01 like this

#23170 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:06 PM

If we can help people live a better life, why not? Perhaps a weekly Coho run from Victoria? Ok, that would mess up the schedule, maybe the Clipper. Sure would be some fun going down the open waters of the coast too!
  • Matt R. likes this

#23171 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 23,863 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 06:25 AM

A commercial building in Victoria suffered hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage following an afternoon blaze, firefighters say.

According to a Victoria Fire Department press release, crews responded to a structure fire at a commercial building on 247 Russell St. at around 12:00 p.m. on Saturday.

Victoria FD says when crews arrived on scene, dark visible smoke could be seen coming from the rooftop area of the building.

_________

There were no injuries, however, the blaze caused an estimated $400,000 in damage to the building, with smoke damaging products inside the structure.

https://www.cheknews...uilding-853511/

wonder what else is in that area?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 July 2021 - 06:27 AM.

#23172 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:21 PM

On more thing tax payers will be on the hook for?

#23173 JimV

JimV
  • 618 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:11 PM

A commercial building in Victoria suffered hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage following an afternoon blaze, firefighters say.

According to a Victoria Fire Department press release, crews responded to a structure fire at a commercial building on 247 Russell St. at around 12:00 p.m. on Saturday.

wonder what else is in that area?

The shelter is at 225 Russell but residents are required not to set any fires within 50 meters of it.  Not clear if 247 is in the restricted zone or not.

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users