• 40,712 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 08:55 AM

Build it and they will come.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#23142 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 09:54 AM

Add to this all the other services offered in Victoria and the much more desirable location, the draw into Victoria would be (is) much greater.
  • Nparker, Love the rock and Victoria Watcher like this

#23143 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 09:13 AM

Blocking two bridges is ambitious. 

Screenshot (13).png

#23144 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,712 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 09:52 AM

Arrest every one of them.

• LJ, Hotel Mike and Love the rock like this

#23145 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 10:37 AM

Blocking two bridges is ambitious.

So what are they complaining about now? They got housing. They are getting their drugs of choice at no cost to them…. What more do they want? I’m genuinely puzzled.

Screenshot (13).png

#23146 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 10:41 AM

because we aren't spending enough on solutions that don't work yet...

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=69605

Attached Images

• save.JPG

• A Girl is No one likes this

#23147 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:14 AM

So one full time city staff will fix homelessness?? We could have saved a lot of money! (Just kidding)

#23148 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:54 AM

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the cities that give the most support to addicts and homeless (Vancouver,Victoria,

Portland ,Seattle ) have protesters always wanting more .

The protesters  know they already have the ear of the local government nothing to loose by pushing the envelope.

• LJ, Daveyboy and A Girl is No one like this

#23149 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 01:39 PM

blocking one bridge is ambitious blocking two.. not sure if they can manage that... you need a huge amount of people to be able to do that... and even when they tried last time before millions was spent on housing they couldn't manage that...

from what i read on that twitter page is the person who runs it was kicked out of the hotel he was in due to a fire/flood in the unit above and is pissed that he didn't get placed in another unit somewhere... that and he just seems angry every time people don't jump to help him, after all it's everyone else's fault... yet in all the time he was housed he never made an effort to go out and get a job and become independent to be able to move out of the hotel

• Nparker, LJ, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#23150 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 08:17 PM

Champion for Victoria’s most vulnerable Reverend Al Tysick retires

July 19, 2021

AlT.png
Reverend Al Tysick has spent countless hours on the streets of Victoria, helping the city’s most vulnerable

“I think the most rewarding part is just sitting beside somebody on the sidewalk and listening to their story, and being one with them,” Rev. Al Tysick said.

Now, at the age of 75, Rev. Al is retiring for good and he’s just grateful he could give back.

#23151 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 09:26 PM

Co-dependant.
  • sebberry and LocalMom like this

#23152 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,938 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 10:38 PM

With his retirement, the Dandelion Society is being taken over by Our Place. Tysick called it “a natural fit.”

“Our Place is a sanctuary for people who need somewhere to get off the street, while Dandelion helps those who are hidden away.”

His son, Jordan, already works at Our Place and will run the Dandelion Society from there.

“It’s a nice handing over of the flame to the next generation,” Daly said.

Tysick also has another son, Jerrod, and a daughter, Alicia.

He said the people he has reached out to for so long will always be on his mind, and that deciding to retire has been “an emotional roller coaster in many ways.”

“They’ve given me as much as I’ll ever give them,” Tysick said. “People keep on talking about what I’ve done, but boy, the street population has been good to me, and the City of Victoria has been very, very generous over the years.”

https://www.timescol...tion-1.24343920

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 July 2021 - 10:38 PM.

#23153 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:15 AM

I'm kind of surprised Rev. Al is walking away from something he's dedicated his life to. I assumed he'd be out there on the street ministering until his last dying breath. But hey, he deserves a rest. I wonder how he'll spend the rest of his life.

#23154 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,938 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:16 AM

I'm kind of surprised Rev. Al is walking away from something he's dedicated his life to. I assumed he'd be out there on the street ministering until his last dying breath. But hey, he deserves a rest. I wonder how he'll spend the rest of his life.

maybe he'll still take a salary as a consultant.  or a pension.

looks like he pays himself ~$80,000/year on $500k year revenue.  

https://www.charityd...49571484RR0001/

and $72,000/yr. spent on "office supplies and expenses".  up from just $6600 6 years ago.   probably rents his own home office to the charity.

$81,955 spend on "management", up from zero in 2013 and 2014 and $27,303 in 2015. 

$196,000 spent on "fundraising".  up from $41,000 in 2013.

all of the above increases while income remained about the same.  

the poverty game can be very lucrative.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 July 2021 - 06:26 AM.

• Nparker, LJ, sebberry and 3 others like this

#23155 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:17 AM

To think Al started Our Place with just that old run down house on Pandora. It was such a small operation, how times have changed. Anyone have pics of the original Our Place?

In the mid 80's I remember looking for a first apartment on Pandora, it was one of the most beautiful streets I had seen coming from a small town. Gorgeous green space and flowers in the middle of the city - I knew I had to live on this street (well, not literally). I started from downtown and walked up, only finding the first vacancy at Fernwood and Pandora. Took the apartment that day, although I wanted to be much closer to downtown.
  • Matt R. likes this

#23156 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:25 AM

I guess we have Al Tysick to thank for the “new and improved” Pandora street.
  • sebberry and Victoria Watcher like this

#23157 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 09:59 AM

To think Al started Our Place with just that old run down house on Pandora. It was such a small operation, how times have changed. Anyone have pics of the original Our Place?

In the mid 80's I remember looking for a first apartment on Pandora, it was one of the most beautiful streets I had seen coming from a small town. Gorgeous green space and flowers in the middle of the city - I knew I had to live on this street (well, not literally). I started from downtown and walked up, only finding the first vacancy at Fernwood and Pandora. Took the apartment that day, although I wanted to be much closer to downtown.

Indeed! Early and mid 90’s I rented an apartment on that corner at the Royal something or other. We always called it the Royale with Cheese so can’t remember it’s real name. Loved the area, walk to Fernwood village, downtown, pretty quiet at night and “affordable”. I’m sure the area has changed a lot since then.

Matt.

#23158 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:43 AM

Vista Royale! Yes, I lived in that building too. From about 1986 to 1991. Central to everything, even Oak Bay and Rockland. Maybe they’ll convert Our Place one day to a stable residences and support, kind of like what they did to the shelter at the end of Chinatown. Always used to be lots of problems there until they changed the clientele, made a world of difference. Not sure Rock Bay, Douglas street or Gorge would really want to take more on though, lol. People need help and support and we’ll always have issues caused by people experiencing homelessness or drug addiction, but surrounding them with the greatest density/amount of people in Victoria seems less than ideal.

Edited by zoomer, 20 July 2021 - 10:44 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#23159 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:20 AM

The Colonist says Vista Royale was built in 1974 on a site that formerly belonged to a fourplex of one-bedroom suites.

• zoomer likes this

#23160 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,938 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:34 AM

California Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom on Monday signed what his office described as “the largest funding and reform package for housing and homelessness” in the state’s history, directing $12 billion over two years into services focusing on “behavioral health housing and solutions to tent encampments.”

ABC 7 reported, “The governor was in Sonoma County Monday addressing the homelessness crisis and was asked whether all the money the state is spending could be a magnet for the unhoused to come to California.”

Newsom answered: “To the extent people want to come here for new beginnings and all income levels, that’s part of the California dream and we have a responsibility to accommodate and enliven and inspire and the California dream is still alive and well.”

https://www.dailywir...paign=dwtwitter

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users