Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25959 replies to this topic

#23201 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:04 AM

they cannot go to The Keg starting this Monday.

Not if Pivot legal society gets their way. They want exemptions for homeless people.

#23202 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,014 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:07 AM

Not if Pivot legal society gets their way. They want exemptions for homeless people.

Why? I mean I’m opposed to the vaccine passports but why would homeless be exempt? They can get the paper pdf or QR or whatever. Homeless can also get replacement ID no charge.

Quebec excepted homeless. Not sure how that is working.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 September 2021 - 06:08 AM.

#23203 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:20 AM

Why? I mean I’m opposed to the vaccine passports but why would homeless be exempt? They can get the paper pdf or QR or whatever. Homeless can also get replacement ID no charge.

Quebec excepted homeless. Not sure how that is working.

I think they cited lack of ID

#23204 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:24 AM

https://www.msn.com/...-say/ar-AANSSFf

Lack of ID and this - dignity:
« There's got to be a way for these people to access services in a dignified way, where they're not shunned or told to go away because they don't have a passport," she said.« 

Edited by A Girl is No one, 11 September 2021 - 06:28 AM.

#23205 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:31 AM

As I say. There are free ID clinics regularly in the city. The charity picks up the replacement cost.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 September 2021 - 06:32 AM.

#23206 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:41 AM

As I say. There are free ID clinics regularly in the city. The charity picks up the replacement cost.

That’s never stopped a NGO!
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#23207 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 08:00 AM

There's got to be a way for these people to access services in a dignified way, where they're not shunned or told to go away because they don't have a passport

Aren't all essential services - going to McDonald's etc. - exempt from "passport" requirements?

• A Girl is No one and JimV like this

#23208 Shelby

Shelby
  • 269 posts
  • LocationToo close

Posted 11 September 2021 - 09:33 AM

Aren't all essential services - going to McDonald's etc. - exempt from "passport" requirements?

Is McDonald's  inside area open? If so, I feel bad for the kids working there. I read somewhere a few weeks ago that Mcdonalds was considering closing the inside again and just doing drive thru.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#23209 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:19 AM

But two months later, Nancy, who didn’t want her last name to be published, is angry and fearful.

Over the weekend, the gate leading into her condominium’s parking garage and storage lockers was vandalized. In late August, six storage lockers were ransacked and looted.

There is screaming and yelling at all hours, suspicious and strung-out people lurking near ground-floor windows and daily calls to police, ambulance and the fire department, she said.

Nancy said she encountered a person who was ­acting strangely walking toward her while she was on her way home from getting groceries at nearby Fairway Market.

She turned around and walked the other way, waiting in Shelbourne Plaza until the path was clear to walk home.

“It was scary … this is in the middle of the day,” the senior said. “What [the provincial ­government] is doing isn’t working. It’s only making ­people feel frustrated and frightened.”

https://www.timescol...idst-1.24357949

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 September 2021 - 05:19 AM.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#23210 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:48 PM

That’s disturbing: my husband was at Yates market today ne a homeless woman was standing right by the door coughing non stop! No mask or anything…
Lots of strange tap-dancing in that article…

Is that the lady who's always there doing sketches or something on the sidewalk? She always seems to be there. I have to say there are stores and places we will definitely be avoiding for a while. 

#23211 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 03:06 PM

No, she was a different one. Never seen her before. Don’t know if she’s still there because we haven’t gone back there since and don’t plan on going anytime soon.
  • mbjj likes this

#23212 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 04:58 PM

I just find the Oak Bay area much more pleasant. 

• mbjj likes this

#23213 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:16 PM

https://www.msn.com/...-say/ar-AANSSFf

Lack of ID and this - dignity:
« There's got to be a way for these people to access services in a dignified way, where they're not shunned or told to go away because they don't have a passport," she said.« 

It's not because they don't have ID. 

It's because they don't want to be ID'd.

Big difference.

Activists claiming "dignity" or whatever other guilt-trip-excuse to try and shame us into letting them carry loaded deadly weapons on their person (a deadly virus is the same as a loaded gun being waved at people walking out of Yates Market) is BS.

Edited by kitty surprise, 15 September 2021 - 05:18 PM.

• Love the rock, Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#23214 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:33 AM

We go over to the Fairways in Oak Bay now quite a lot. Every time I go into Oak Bay I try and spend some money, lol. 

Not that they've done it recently for obvious reasons, but there used to be ID sessions at the downtown library quite often. Always a huge group of people waiting. 

• Shelby likes this

#23215 Shelby

Shelby
  • 269 posts
  • LocationToo close

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:32 AM

We go over to the Fairways in Oak Bay now quite a lot. Every time I go into Oak Bay I try and spend some money, lol. 

Not that they've done it recently for obvious reasons, but there used to be ID sessions at the downtown library quite often. Always a huge group of people waiting. 

Exactly! I would much rather drive to OakBay Fairways and pay a little bit more to shop where I feel safe than to run the gauntlet to get into Save-on or Market on yates.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#23216 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:40 AM

do you still need ID to cross through the tweed curtain into Oak Bay?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 September 2021 - 10:40 AM.

#23217 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:44 AM

do you still need ID to cross through the tweed curtain into Oak Bay?

No, but you need to offer proof of having had an English accent.

#23218 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:04 AM

Exactly! I would much rather drive to OakBay Fairways and pay a little bit more to shop where I feel safe than to run the gauntlet to get into Save-on or Market on yates.

You'd probably pay less at Fairways anyways!

#23219 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:45 PM

OUR PLACE TEMPORARILY CLOSES DUE TO SAFETY CONCERNS

"We've been facing a bit of an uptick in hostile behaviour, some violence towards staff, so we really thought we needed to take a minute to just see how we were doing things operationally at the drop-in," he said.

Previously, Our Place had a "wide open" door for anyone who wanted to use its courtyard or indoor drop-in services. Now, the centre may scale back that policy and have "more of a secure entry," said Cooper.

I don't understand.  I thought this was as easy as free homes and drugs.

https://www.iheartra...erns-1.16088781

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#23220 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:47 PM

OUR PLACE TEMPORARILY CLOSES DUE TO SAFETY CONCERNS

I don't understand. I thought this was as easy as free homes and drugs.

https://www.iheartra...erns-1.16088781

Has it ever been this bad before?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users