• Please log in to reply
23301 replies to this topic

#23221 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 290 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:16 PM

https://www.msn.com/...-say/ar-AANSSFf

Lack of ID and this - dignity:
« There's got to be a way for these people to access services in a dignified way, where they're not shunned or told to go away because they don't have a passport," she said.« 

It's not because they don't have ID. 

It's because they don't want to be ID'd.

Big difference.

Activists claiming "dignity" or whatever other guilt-trip-excuse to try and shame us into letting them carry loaded deadly weapons on their person (a deadly virus is the same as a loaded gun being waved at people walking out of Yates Market) is BS.

Edited by kitty surprise, 15 September 2021 - 05:18 PM.

• Love the rock, Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#23222 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:33 AM

We go over to the Fairways in Oak Bay now quite a lot. Every time I go into Oak Bay I try and spend some money, lol. 

Not that they've done it recently for obvious reasons, but there used to be ID sessions at the downtown library quite often. Always a huge group of people waiting. 

• Shelby likes this

#23223 Shelby

Shelby
  • 266 posts
  • LocationToo close

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:32 AM

We go over to the Fairways in Oak Bay now quite a lot. Every time I go into Oak Bay I try and spend some money, lol. 

Not that they've done it recently for obvious reasons, but there used to be ID sessions at the downtown library quite often. Always a huge group of people waiting. 

Exactly! I would much rather drive to OakBay Fairways and pay a little bit more to shop where I feel safe than to run the gauntlet to get into Save-on or Market on yates.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#23224 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 25,461 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:40 AM

do you still need ID to cross through the tweed curtain into Oak Bay?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 September 2021 - 10:40 AM.

#23225 Nparker

Nparker
  • 29,567 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:44 AM

No, but you need to offer proof of having had an English accent.

#23226 lanforod

lanforod
  • 8,259 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:04 AM

Exactly! I would much rather drive to OakBay Fairways and pay a little bit more to shop where I feel safe than to run the gauntlet to get into Save-on or Market on yates.

You'd probably pay less at Fairways anyways!

#23227 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:45 PM

OUR PLACE TEMPORARILY CLOSES DUE TO SAFETY CONCERNS

"We've been facing a bit of an uptick in hostile behaviour, some violence towards staff, so we really thought we needed to take a minute to just see how we were doing things operationally at the drop-in," he said.

Previously, Our Place had a "wide open" door for anyone who wanted to use its courtyard or indoor drop-in services. Now, the centre may scale back that policy and have "more of a secure entry," said Cooper.

I don't understand.  I thought this was as easy as free homes and drugs.

https://www.iheartra...erns-1.16088781

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#23228 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:47 PM

I don't understand. I thought this was as easy as free homes and drugs.

Has it ever been this bad before?

#23229 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:48 PM

Has it ever been this bad before?

#23230 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 05:53 PM

Facing Rising Violence, Open Door Closes for a Day

Sept. 16, 2021

It’s usually an open door for the city’s most vulnerable but on Thursday Our Place Society, in the 900-block of Pandora Avenue, took the drastic step of locking its gates due to a rise in violence.

“This was based on some increases we’ve been seeing in levels of violence and aggression and also you know trying to get people to adhere to mask policies,” said Our Place Director of Services Jordan Cooper.

#23231 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:58 PM

Isn’t it run by social workers?

#23232 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 290 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:31 PM

If Social Workers can't handle Our Place, then how is the Peer Assisted Crisis Team (PACT) which consists of Social Workers even feasible?!
  • Nparker and Vicrazy like this

#23233 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:35 PM

If Social Workers can't handle Our Place, then how is the Peer Assisted Crisis Team (PACT) which consists of Social Workers even feasible?!

I recommend that a special crisis team of Helps, Isitt, Loveday, Dubow and Potts be dispatched to handle all incidents.
  • Nparker, mbjj, On the Level and 2 others like this

#23234 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:52 PM

There are lots of great people there working their hearts out, but I don't know there is a structured qualification to work there other than trying to do good.  Certain positions like nurses for sure, but the rest I don't know.

The traditional problem with Our Place it isn't how much they try, it's been the lack of a holistic view realizing you can't alienate those around you to maintain credibility.  I am seeing changes to address that and bring the community with them. We'll see if it goes far enough to be balanced.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#23235 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 25,461 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:57 AM

https://www.vicnews....ntre-for-a-day/

Our Place Society in Victoria sends strong message by closing drop-in centre for a day

CEO cites need to ‘regroup’ amid rising levels of COVID, mask non-compliance and violent incidents

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 September 2021 - 02:58 AM.

#23236 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 06:17 AM

^^

My guess would be that hired staff are so sick and tired of the daily violence and abuse that they are going to walk out en masse.  Management is desperate for that to not happen so hoping to send a message to clients.  But you can't instantly change behaviour that you have more or less tolerated for years.

• Nparker, LJ, Matt R. and 2 others like this

#23237 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:28 AM

^^
My guess would be that hired staff are so sick and tired of the daily violence and abuse that they are going to walk out en masse. Management is desperate for that to not happen so hoping to send a message to clients. But you can't instantly change behaviour that you have more or less tolerated for years.

I am more concerned by suggestions that staff in some housing facilities have reportedly enabled criminal behaviour, etc. Until that's addressed the perception will still be that this is city that welcomes criminal behaviour.
  • Nparker, A Girl is No one, Vicrazy and 1 other like this

#23238 Shelby

Shelby
  • 266 posts
  • LocationToo close

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:32 AM

No, just say chesterfield alot and leave the c out of schedule.

• Mike K., Nparker, Matt R. and 1 other like this

#23239 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:20 PM

That's what I called it growing up, lol. We never ever said "couch" and neither did any one of our friends. Most Canadians back then called it a chesterfield. 

#23240 JimV

JimV
  • 699 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 06:35 PM

I go to the Market fairly often, usually at 7 when it opens.  I’ve never felt any sense of danger but almost every time I see some drug addled street guy slumped on a nearby corner or twitching and jerking.  There is often a police car or wagon parked nearby.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Awaiting Juno