Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25959 replies to this topic

#18321 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:28 PM

Do you know why exactly they feel that way? Have they examined the legal dimensions of a prospective case?

Not sure about that. You may want to drop them a line.

#18322 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:56 AM

RPPB, I think there are about eight or nine tents in that image. Were tents also outside of the band stand?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18323 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:58 AM

A couple of weeks ago someone from the Friends was on CFAX. They said they've been inundated with emails of complaints about the park. I really wish some lawyer or other would take this case on. I believe the covenant has words to the effect that the park is "for the enjoyment of all citizens". Well clearly it isn't now. I don't enjoy wondering what I might encounter or step in when I go there.

• rmpeers and Lost password like this

#18324 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:48 AM

Don't quote me but weren't all legal options to protect the park effectively toasted in the 2000s when the authorities in their wisdom finally overruled Begbie's inconvenient reference to "purposes of utility"? The spirit of Begbie's 19th-century ruling was that the park should remain a park regardless of any insistence by future governments that their circumstances were too extreme and unprecedented to allow it to remain a park. This is why he specifically mentioned misuses like military barracks, sanatoriums, asylums, and cemeteries. And this is also why the park was blatantly hijacked a few decades later during WW1 for military barracks.

Come on, could this endless assault on BHP be any more blatant? Is there some shortage of land or something? I guess there must be, if the crown jewel city park is always the target (~140 years running).

• Nparker likes this

#18325 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:11 AM

Ed Macgregor Park in Sooke today.

I never thought I'd see the day when people would be camping in Sooke. I guess they have no choice but to camp on the stage in the park because suitable camping locations are so few and far between in that part of town? Very dense area, as we all know.

• Nparker, jsan and Awaiting Juno like this

#18326 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:57 AM

RPPB, I think there are about eight or nine tents in that image. Were tents also outside of the band stand?

1 large new tent with a rain tarp over it on the grass apart from the others. Nothing at all in the trees and little to no garbage nearby.
  • Mike K. likes this

#18327 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:48 PM

Now that they have pressured the Government for hotels, the regular bunch of local loons want free housing for everyone who wants it and urge you to support them.

https://docs.google....p2hZFA/viewform

#18328 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:01 PM

Now that they have pressured the Government for hotels, the regular bunch of local loons want free housing for everyone who wants it and urge you to support them.

https://docs.google....p2hZFA/viewform

- Focus economic recovery stimulus spending on building a robust non-market housing system. Within six to 12 months, provide permanent non-market housing[4] with health and social care as needed, to everyone in BC experiencing homelessness - including women, trans and gender diverse people, including those who are escaping domestic violence and including those who do sex work - by converting hotels, motels, apartments, office buildings, and any other appropriate properties into non-market housing, as well as building permanent, high-quality, energy-efficient homes affordable to people who live on income support and minimum wage jobs. 

- Cancel rent debt that has been incurred as a result of lost incomes, and suspend rent for the remainder of the state of emergency. Prevent a mass eviction, foreclosure and homelessness crisis by freezing mortgage payments, extending the ban on evictions and rent increases, and connecting rent control to the unit instead of the tenant.

I see the usual set of CoV Councillors are part of this, along with the "UBC Social Justice Centre".

So funny to see that there was no cost or logistics associated with this. They stated that there are 8,000 homeless and "probably double this". So we need to build and run 16,000 units. Then we have thrown on an "as well" at the end of the rambling request to to build housing for those making minimum wage and on income support. How many units is this? What is the capital cost and what is the operating cost?

We are also going to "Cancel rent debt". How does this work? Mom and Dan have rented their basement and now can't pay their mortgage because someone in the "UBC Social Justice Centre"  has waived their magic wand?  Oh....they have that covered though because they can just go "freezing mortgage payments".

What on earth is going on at UVIC and UBC to produce something one would expect from an Elementary School student?

Edited by On the Level, 30 June 2020 - 05:02 PM.

• Nparker, Taj, Midnightly and 4 others like this

#18329 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

So Potts, Dubow and Isitt signed this. Of course.

One thing that strikes me is how many different agencies seemingly doing the same thing/serving the same population there are. And this list only includes a fraction of them.

#18330 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:23 PM

Nobody with any sense would ever take legal action against the City of Victoria for disobeying what is ultimately a simple property covenant - especially in light of the B.C. Supreme Court finding that put all the campers in Beacon Hill Park in the first place.

There's simply not win to be had in such an undertaking.

The only modification the COV has made to the Supreme Court finding is to allow the tents to remain up during the day, presumably for social distancing and self isolating purposes.

Taking the COV to court, and using the park covenant as your primary bit of evidence is a guaranteed loss for whomever brings the case against the COV, for the reasons noted above.

Edited by Spy Black, 30 June 2020 - 06:24 PM.

#18331 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:32 PM

“Cancel rent debt that has been incurred as a result of lost incomes, and suspend rent for the remainder of the state of emergency. Prevent a mass eviction, foreclosure and homelessness crisis by freezing mortgage payments, extending the ban on evictions and rent increases, and connecting rent control to the unit instead of the tenant.”

Could someone please explain to me what “Cancel rent debt” means? Does that mean the landlord eats unpaid rents or does the government jump in and pay them?

What does “freezing mortgage payments” mean? Does that mean deferring the payment but adding the interest to the balance?

The rest I understand...its the end of investment in rental housing.

The people that drafted this hideous manifesto think that rental housing grows on trees.
  • LJ, snub, lanforod and 3 others like this

#18332 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:03 PM

...especially in light of the B.C. Supreme Court finding that put all the campers in Beacon Hill Park in the first place.

Compelling evidence, but I'm still convinced the current generation of CoV politicians were somehow responsible for putting the barracks in BHP during WW1.

• Rob Randall and mbjj like this

#18333 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:37 PM

Perhaps we should start a thread for uninformed emotional ramblings from UVIC and UBC professors and staff.  

Edited by On the Level, 30 June 2020 - 09:37 PM.

• jsan, SimonH, Taj and 2 others like this

#18334 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:58 PM

Nobody with any sense would ever take legal action against the City of Victoria for disobeying what is ultimately a simple property covenant - especially in light of the B.C. Supreme Court finding that put all the campers in Beacon Hill Park in the first place.

There's simply not win to be had in such an undertaking.

The only modification the COV has made to the Supreme Court finding is to allow the tents to remain up during the day, presumably for social distancing and self isolating purposes.

Taking the COV to court, and using the park covenant as your primary bit of evidence is a guaranteed loss for whomever brings the case against the COV, for the reasons noted above.

I expect you are right about that (though I don’t know if anyone has ever contemplated an appeal to the SCC of Hinkson’s idiotic decision.) His decision was based on the Charter, which takes it far beyond a property covenant.

Council, however, has constructively extended that ruling by its recent vote not to enforce the bylaw re daytime camping.  It basically ensures a full time shantytown in the park.  Social distancing and self isolation are flimsy and unconvincing reasons.  Anyone who observes the park will understand that there’s no such thing going on there.  The strip of tents along Douglas is party central.  Probably the encampment along the ridge near Southgate too.  It also raises the question of arbitrary enforcement of bylaws, a slippery slope.

The best solution is to get rid of these zombies on council.  I certainly hope that the 10,000 people that signed the petition will turn out to do that in the next election.  The byelection, if we ever have one, would be a good time to test the waters.

Edited by JimV, 01 July 2020 - 03:22 PM.

• Nparker, grantpalin, mbjj and 1 other like this

#18335 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:05 PM

Every time we go down Douglas beside South Park school, the encampment has grown. In past years I'm sure that piece of grass was watered and kept green in the summer. Will sprinklers be used this year to prevent dangerous dried grass? Every time I hear the fire trucks headed down towards the park, I worry "is this a fire in the park?".

• A Girl is No one likes this

#18336 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:34 PM

^Rather than worry you should be hoping.

• Nparker and mbjj like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#18337 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:02 PM

^I'm not hoping there is a fire.  Let's not forget that these people are suffering much more than they would otherwise because of CoV and UVIC ideology.  

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#18338 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:36 AM

From Oak Bay Police this morning: Y'day was Canada Day. 🇨🇦 By 6:45am, a member had chatted with 2 women, 1 from Alberta & the other from PEI. Both have now decided to live in Greater Victoria. One had warrants from Westshore for Assault and B&E to a Residence. She was arrested. Sadly, both have a meth addiction.
  • pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18339 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:52 AM

Free housing and a steady supply of drugs? What addict wouldn't want to make the trek to Victoria?

• jsan likes this

#18340 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:11 AM

Like I keep saying to my husband, every Tom, Dick and Harriet is coming here.

Good letters in the paper today about Beacon Hill Park. Yesterday as we drove along Southgate, I noticed the "home" under the juniper tree is expanding. Before, you could only see the white leather chair if you walked pretty close by. Now the housewares are spilling out from under the branches.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users