Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25959 replies to this topic

#18341 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:43 AM

Before, you could only see the white leather chair if you walked pretty close by. Now the housewares are spilling out from under the branches.

I've made this observation before re: other issues (heritage preservation, etc.), but if this is what Victorians are doing when they're so ultra-concerned about green spaces and the environment, then I sure don't want to know what they would be doing if they were openly contemptuous of green spaces and the environment. (But I suspect flamethrowers would somehow be involved.)

• jsan likes this

#18342 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:02 AM

From Oak Bay Police this morning: Y'day was Canada Day. By 6:45am, a member had chatted with 2 women, 1 from Alberta & the other from PEI. Both have now decided to live in Greater Victoria. One had warrants from Westshore for Assault and B&E to a Residence. She was arrested. Sadly, both have a meth addiction.

Good on the Oak Bay PD for calling out what we all already know. Our "housing crisis" is manufactured by Victoria council and the poverty pimps. 

After months of delays and excuses, the 'Coalition' now says that they will release the results of March's homeless count in July.  4 months should have been enough time to "review" the tallies.

• Nparker, jsan, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#18343 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:43 AM

Good on the Oak Bay PD for calling out what we all already know. Our "housing crisis" is manufactured by Victoria council and the poverty pimps. 

After months of delays and excuses, the 'Coalition' now says that they will release the results of March's homeless count in July.  4 months should have been enough time to "review" the tallies.

The list is just a joke as far as I’m concerned. New local homeless from where . Why the hell would anyone believe the homeless if they felt they could benefit by lying. As for the poverty pimps all the list does is cement more money and job security. It amounts to Christmas bonus time . It’s all sickening .

• Nparker, jsan, Awaiting Juno and 3 others like this

#18344 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:59 AM

After months of delays and excuses, the 'Coalition' now says that they will release the results of March's homeless count in July. 4 months should have been enough time to "review" the tallies.

They probably explained to them that the red carpet only extends to the city of Victoria and not Oak Bay and maybe even gave them a ride back to the border.

#18345 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:19 AM

From Oak Bay Police this morning: Y'day was Canada Day. 🇨🇦 By 6:45am, a member had chatted with 2 women, 1 from Alberta & the other from PEI. Both have now decided to live in Greater Victoria. One had warrants from Westshore for Assault and B&E to a Residence. She was arrested. Sadly, both have a meth addiction.

Is this type of thing why they aren't releasing the homelessness survey?

#18346 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:24 AM

After months of delays and excuses, the 'Coalition' now says that they will release the results of March's homeless count in July. 4 months should have been enough time to "review" the tallies.

The spin will at least provide unintentional comic relief. My favorite, from a few years back was where they assured us that a minority of Victoria's unhoused had moved here in the past year... then when you parsed the numbers, it was like 300+ people were new arrivals in the past year.

Having such a hugely disproportionate number of homeless people in a small area is clearly not good for anyone, least of all the homeless.

Great for the drug dealers though... curious how they always benefit...
  • Nparker likes this

#18347 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:32 AM

...Having such a hugely disproportionate number of homeless people in a small area is clearly not good for anyone, least of all the homeless. Great for the drug dealers though... curious how they always benefit...

I am sure the dealers like the low-barrier shelters and the current hotel acquisitions. Strolling along a hallway makes doing business much more pleasant than having to stand on a street corner in the rain or crawl through bushes to reach your customers. Win-win!

Housing first!!!!

• jsan and rmpeers like this

#18348 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:07 AM

The list is just a joke as far as I’m concerned. New local homeless from where . Why the hell would anyone believe the homeless if they felt they could benefit by lying. As for the poverty pimps all the list does is cement more money and job security. It amounts to Christmas bonus time . It’s all sickening .

During the court house tent city days it was easy to find the « residents » on Facebook and see that so many had just arrived from other areas of the country. Many news articles also quoted people they interviewed in the tent city as having just recently arrived to Victoria via ferry/bus tickets provided to them by other communities, agencies and even Vancouver police.
When local people started to protest the need to provide assistance to newly arrived residents (who often skipped ahead of some who had been waiting for a long time here in Victoria) they learned to adjust their stories. That’s what I saw.
  • Nparker, Love the rock, Taj and 1 other like this

#18349 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:25 AM

During the court house tent city days it was easy to find the « residents » on Facebook and see that so many had just arrived from other areas of the country. Many news articles also quoted people they interviewed in the tent city as having just recently arrived to Victoria via ferry/bus tickets provided to them by other communities, agencies and even Vancouver police.
When local people started to protest the need to provide assistance to newly arrived residents (who often skipped ahead of some who had been waiting for a long time here in Victoria) they learned to adjust their stories. That’s what I saw.

There have long been rumours that some recipients of the various CoV gravy train of community funding projects are in fact using the money to support activist causes or other groups. I would not at all be surprised if the City indirectly is paying for many of these tickets.

• Nparker likes this

#18350 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:11 PM

Deleted 

Whats the use .

Edited by Love the rock, 02 July 2020 - 12:23 PM.

#18351 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:32 PM

I was working at the library during the courthouse tent city. All those young, fit "residents" came in to use the internet, update their social media I guess. They all smelled of wood smoke. Chrissy used to come in too. When the tent city disappeared, so did they. Off to greener pastures I guess.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#18352 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:27 PM

The Save Beacon Hill petition now has pretty much the same number of signatures as the mayor got votes last election. This is the moment when staffers would typically say, "Your majesty, you may want to consider a different course of action."
  • Nparker, jsan, GaryRanson and 5 others like this

#18353 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:01 PM

The Save Beacon Hill petition now has pretty much the same number of signatures as the mayor got votes last election. This is the moment when staffers would typically say, "Your majesty, you may want to consider a different course of action."

Instead they allow Her Worseship to double-down on her lunacy.

• GaryRanson, Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#18354 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:24 AM

We can't and shouldn't solve Canada's homelessness problem, although we do have a responsibility to address our own housing challenges.  Imagine a system where every Canadian city has an obligation to it's citizens, much like a sponsor has to an immigrant, where should those citizens become a burden on some other city, the "home city" has an obligation to compensate the "host city" - at the expense level prevalent in the host city for 5 years after "one of their own" departed.  I imagine we'd discover the least expensive places for homeless people to be, pretty fast.

• A Girl is No one, rmpeers and Victoria Watcher like this

#18355 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:25 AM

Great for the drug dealers though... curious how they always benefit...

You mean you didn't see that massive international social crusade to stamp out organized crime? You didn't see the huge marches? You didn't see all of the commercials and YouTube videos by celebrities and politicians and celebrity billionaires challenging us all to transform attitudes and address the emergency? You didn't hear the 24/7 passionate speeches about stripping the power of organized crime, eliminating its scourge from politics and government and corporate affairs at all levels, regardless of what it takes? You haven't been taking part in the moment of silence every day for all of the victims of organized crime?

How could you have missed all of that stuff?

• Mike K., Nparker, LJ and 1 other like this

#18356 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:27 PM

I'm beginning to see the logic in some of the Vagrancy laws that were common place historically.  Similarly, I think many are starting to see the logic of the mental health institutions that once existed.  Not to say that they were good, but perhaps the free for all alternative is even worse - perhaps, in the absence of those things being in place, we can't help those who need to be helped because there's too many who are looking to take advantage of them.

Shelters should be safe spaces for people to access the help they need when they find themselves homeless.  They should be spaces where a person can get a solid night's rest without fear of whatever meagre possessions they have being stollen, and where they can connect with social services and develop a plan to get back on their feet.  That's not what we have anymore - and I think it's time we look at where we're at, and what we need to do.  We should be looking at the services that are being provided, and asking whether or not they're making the problem worse, and whether or not the programs and services need to be realigned with changes to the resources provided.

• Nparker, LJ, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#18357 Taj

Taj
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:53 PM

We can't and shouldn't solve Canada's homelessness problem, although we do have a responsibility to address our own housing challenges.  Imagine a system where every Canadian city has an obligation to it's citizens, much like a sponsor has to an immigrant, where should those citizens become a burden on some other city, the "home city" has an obligation to compensate the "host city" - at the expense level prevalent in the host city for 5 years after "one of their own" departed.  I imagine we'd discover the least expensive places for homeless people to be, pretty fast.

This is similar to how English Poor Law worked in the 19th century, and as far as I know, our own system into the 20th century.  If you were found to be a resident of Town A and you trying to claim assistance in Town B.....you usually got sent back home.

It's not a bad idea.

#18358 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:11 PM

Had to giggle when I read BC Housing's justification for paying millions more than the assessed value for Pauls. https://www.timescol...-inn-1.24163559

“The assessed value was based on the existing operation, while the appraisal looked at the value of future redevelopment, as that is our intent for purchasing."

Besides the ridiculous argument that a developer should pay extra for a property based on the value they could potentially bring to it by developing it, are we now to believe that the future development, in this case a slum, is worth more than the current use?!

Then again, according to the Tyee, BC Housing seems to have a history of accepting bogus assessments in order to justify prices they pay. https://thetyee.ca/N...using-Victoria/

• Nparker and jsan like this

#18359 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:35 PM

Sarah Potts was spouting more gobbledygook, which Adam Stirling played on CFAX today. I honestly couldn't fathom what she was trying to say (others texted in to say likewise). A fellow phoned up who had worked in a California mental hospital for ten years. He said, even in a locked hospital setting, if someone was having a meltdown, it took at least four people to see to them, one person for each limb. He said for the street, you'd need a minivan full of people and he wanted to tell Potts that whisperings of gentle words from a nurse likely wouldn't do the trick. He had other interesting comments.

• Nparker, spanky123, jsan and 5 others like this

#18360 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:37 PM

Sarah Potts was spouting more gobbledygook, which Adam Stirling played on CFAX today. I honestly couldn't fathom what she was trying to say (others texted in to say likewise). A fellow phoned up who had worked in a California mental hospital for ten years. He said, even in a locked hospital setting, if someone was having a meltdown, it took at least four people to see to them, one person for each limb. He said for the street, you'd need a minivan full of people and he wanted to tell Potts that whisperings of gentle words from a nurse likely wouldn't do the trick. He had other interesting comments.

Was interesting that the last time she was on CFAX, Adam commented on the fact that she had a City staffer, who refused to go on air, as her handler.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)