Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#18301 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:11 PM

Sooke says they’re looking for a temporary shelter facility prior to 49-units of shelter-rate housing opening within a future social housing development east of the town centre on Drennan Street at Sooke Road by 2022. Tents have begun appearing at Ed MacGregor Park west of the town centre.

People in that community have speculated Sooke’s mayor Maja Tait has started following in the footsteps of Mayor Helps, and the two are now on the transit board together so there may be broader policy discussions happening between the two mayors.

Also, Reverand Al Tysick of the Dandelion Society, and formerly of Our Place, lives in Sooke, I believe.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18302 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:37 PM

I am thinking of Sidney in a couple of years when proximity to work is no longer an issue.

I'll be doing the interviews for all would be relocators.  :cop:

• Redd42 and Victoria Watcher like this

#18303 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:11 PM

My daughter and I were walking along the edge of Southgate street on the chip path by Beacon Hill today. There's a large juniper. You wouldn't know anyone was camped underneath it but we heard voices and as we were headed along the path next to it, darned if there isn't some sort of white "leather" chair or couch underneath it. Nice.

#18304 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:59 AM

More than 10 years since the tent city at the Cridge, nearly five since the Courthouse fiasco.  We've been failed by Liberal and NDP governments and we've been spectacularly failed by this mayor and council who now have the gall to ask for "patience and understanding".  She asks that we "not be divided" - I think it's pretty clear, we're not divided, we're more united than ever, tent cities need to end, the purchase of a never ending number of hotels needs to end.  

The time for patience and understanding has passed.

• Nparker, snub, jsan and 5 others like this

#18305 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:21 AM

Great blog!

“ So what does our mayor do? She pleads for patience and understanding. She begs for the issue of homelessness not to divide us - all the while acting to ensure that the homeless are where they'll make the biggest political statement: Beacon Hill Park. She's playing politics and putting health and safety of her constituents at risk at a time when we need her to stand up, and protect the health and safety of all Victorians (housed and unhoused) in the most appropriate way feasible. She's leveraging the situation to get an ever larger number of hotels bought by the province to "house the homeless" - volunteering to sacrifice her city, the city she has a duty to act in the best interest of as its mayor.”

Edited by A Girl is No one, 28 June 2020 - 08:22 AM.

• Nparker, Taj and Awaiting Juno like this

#18306 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:34 PM

Seems to be a budding tent city off Gorge road at the entrance of the galloping goose. Still small but it used to be one tent, then two and today there were a few more.

#18307 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:48 PM

Tent cities spread faster than the corona virus.
  • jsan, Taj and pennymurphy2000 like this

#18308 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 03:07 PM

I noticed  a new set-up on Vancouver Street outside the Revenue Canada building.

Drove over to Saxe Point Park today. How refreshing! Esquimalt actually has flowers in their middle-of-the-road flower beds. The park was lovely. Very clean, very quiet, lots of people having picnics. No tents. I think we'll be going over there more often this summer in our exhaust-emitting vehicle instead of walking to our closest park, Beacon Hill.

• jsan likes this

#18309 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:13 PM

Have we heard anything about the Red Lion?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18310 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:31 AM

Have we heard anything about the Red Lion?

Because buying more hotel rooms is the answer?!?

I think it's clear hotel rooms aren't the answer.  More emergent shelter spaces (perhaps with assigned and more stable cots/cubicles), combined with a way to move people through to programs that lead to permanent shelter would be a better strategy.  Moving people into private accommodations when they are not in a place where that meets their needs (due to risks of drug use or other behaviors) seems unwise.  

#18311 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:33 AM

There's chatter that the Red Lion has been sold to the province.

Know it all.

#18312 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:29 AM

There's chatter that the Red Lion has been sold to the province.

Full supports and access to "exotic" entertainment.

#18313 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:46 PM

BC’s plans to place heavily drug addicted youth into compulsory medical facilities for up to seven days are being called insensitive by child welfare advocates due to the parallels with residential schools. Many youth with substance abuse issues are First Nations, the advocates say.

Know it all.

#18314 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:23 PM

BC’s plans to place heavily drug addicted youth into compulsory medical facilities for up to seven days are being called insensitive by child welfare advocates due to the parallels with residential schools. Many youth with substance abuse issues are First Nations, the advocates say.

Can't understand why these advocates are so keen to keep people, even young people, addicted to a lethal lifestyle. Not *everything* is racist, ffs. With advocates like this, who needs enemies. Do these people get handed envelopes of cash by drug gangs every week? If not, what other explanation? And then to have a sad cult of fanatic zombies as our mayor and council, blindly taking orders from these morons, it's just sick and cruel...
  • Nparker, Taj, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#18315 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:44 PM

Can't understand why these advocates are so keen to keep people, even young people, addicted to a lethal lifestyle. Not *everything* is racist, ffs. With advocates like this, who needs enemies. Do these people get handed envelopes of cash by drug gangs every week? If not, what other explanation? And then to have a sad cult of fanatic zombies as our mayor and council, blindly taking orders from these morons, it's just sick and cruel...

So residential schools were an effort by the BC Government to bring badly needed help to the population and improve outcomes?

#18316 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:53 PM

Ed Macgregor Park in Sooke today. An RCMP officer arrived as we were leaving.

Attached Images

• 20200629_141758.jpg

#18317 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:03 PM

Does anyone know whether Friends of Beacon Hill Park is still alive?  I checked their web page today to see if there was anything about the current disaster.  No, there wasn’t.  The site looked really dated.  The last newsletter was 2002 (!!)

I am wondering about the possibility of taking legal action against the city for it’s obvious violation of the covenant.  

• Awaiting Juno, Kungsberg and Teardrop like this

#18318 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:12 PM

Does anyone know whether Friends of Beacon Hill Park is still alive? I checked their web page today to see if there was anything about the current disaster. No, there wasn’t. The site looked really dated. The last newsletter was 2002 (!!)

I am wondering about the possibility of taking legal action against the city for it’s obvious violation of the covenant.

They are, and are apparently not thrilled by latest CoV moves, but feel their hands are tied, I gather.

#18319 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:10 PM

They are, and are apparently not thrilled by latest CoV moves, but feel their hands are tied, I gather.

Do you know why exactly they feel that way?  Have they examined the legal dimensions of a prospective case?

• Nparker likes this

#18320 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:53 PM

First off now we have "child welfare advocates" suggesting that putting someone into the hospital is a parallel to residential schools?

So the "sensitive" thing to do is to let them wander away and further harm themselves?  Instead of being naive and being overly sensitive, try some common sense and be "sensible".  

• Nparker, Love the rock, Taj and 3 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users