Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#19021 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,769 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:07 AM

start one of these wine bottle pyramid schemes at your office.

But I'm the only one in my office these days. It'll be a pretty small pyramid.

#19022 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:12 AM

coming in now.  live shot of Nparker's office:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 August 2020 - 07:12 AM.

• aastra, grantpalin and jasmineshinga like this

#19023 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,769 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:19 AM

I wish it was that lively.

• aastra, Hotel Mike, grantpalin and 2 others like this

#19024 aastra

aastra
  • 20,760 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:45 AM

McKenzie said he found the timing of the discovery “troubling,”

For sure, such incidents are extremely fishy, and the first step toward media literacy is to ask why you're being shown or told what you're being shown or told, and why now? Where is the media coverage and the commentary ultimately driving things? As we all know from direct personal experience, some things receive inordinately excessive attention and some things get zero attention. Apply scrutiny to ALL narratives in the news media: not just the hyped things but the buried things as well.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#19025 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:51 AM

Oh the mayor is on CFAX right now, lol.

• aastra likes this

#19026 aastra

aastra
  • 20,760 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:00 AM

"I think your natural instinct, especially in a community when we don’t understand addiction..."

Sigh. Anyone who continues to foster this "you just don't understand the way I understand" nonsense needs to be called out. Countless millions and millions of people struggle with addictions of one type or another. In the USA there are tens of millions of people who struggle with drug/alcohol abuse. How can such issues be so ubiquitous, in our own families, our own relationships, in our own workplaces, in our own parks and on our own sidewalks, and yet we're still devoting so much effort toward this kind of marginalization?

...what would that person have gained from that, compared to on the other side where it’s raised more hatred towards the campers at Beacon Hill Park.

Wow, thanks for clarifying that for us. Yeah, who would have gained, indeed. The "other side", the bad guys, the [insert favorite smear here] would have gained. No need to speculate, we've been told straight out (in a news story, no less) who would have gained.

Folks, the social division agenda here is massive. Don't fall for it.

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#19027 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:12 AM

Adam Stirling says the City of Victoria's report to council indicating 88% of individuals are "local" is factually incorrect.

The City, in a report to mayor and council, lumped in 4% that did not know how long they've been here, or wouldn't say.

Asked about this during a seven minute segment with Al Farraby just ahead of 9AM, the mayor didn't know what to say, but settled on saying something to the effect of "let's say its around 80%" who are "local."

In conversation with people, the "here for more than one year means you're local" isn't flying. It literally means that if 16% say they've arrived within the last year, approximately that many arrived within two years. Thrice as many within three years. And so on.

• grantpalin, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19028 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:14 AM

Did that article really say "consumed an average of 46 drinks a day"? I've barely consumed 46 drinks in my life... and I'm 50.  :blink:

• Matt R. and GaryRanson like this

#19029 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:21 AM

^A hardcore alcoholic acquainance of mine downs a can of beer like I would down a shotglass of water. He can go through a few cases of beer a day. He has his own apartment but only because he has (for now) a good support structure. But I don't expect he'll be around in ten years.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#19030 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:24 AM

the whole 1 year thing is bunk anyway.  5-year is better test.  and that's 40+% newcomers.  and as i say, compared to what 10 or 12% total population increase?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#19031 aastra

aastra
  • 20,760 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:43 AM

^A hardcore alcoholic acquainance of mine downs a can of beer like I would down a shotglass of water. He can go through a few cases of beer a day. He has his own apartment but only because he has (for now) a good support structure. But I don't expect he'll be around in ten years.

Fine, you have this acquaintance. But you'd better not claim to understand anything about him or his situation. Because you can't possibly understand.

Seriously, just try counting all of the people in your own family & personal circle who have had serious issues with alcohol. And yet the authorities tell us we can't understand, we have no familiarity.

#19032 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,769 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:50 AM

From my exposure to alcoholism, no one has ever gotten better via a steady supply of "safe" alcohol.

#19033 JimV

JimV
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:52 AM

Headline:

People need to resist the urge to jump to conclusions about who left a used needle found taped to a railing in Beacon Hill Park, says Our Place communications director Grant McKenzie.

McKenzie said he found the timing of the discovery “troubling,” given the growing tensions surrounding the presence of homeless people living in Beacon Hill Park.

While McKenzie said he can’t rule out the possibility that someone who used the needle tied it to the railing, he said it could have been placed to stir up more controversy about people tenting in the park.

“I think your natural instinct, especially in a community when we don’t understand addiction, we jump to that conclusion right away. Oh, it must have been someone who’s addicted who did that. You really have to think about, you know, what would that person have gained from that, compared to on the other side where it’s raised more hatred towards the campers at Beacon Hill Park. And so that seems, to me, a larger incentive than someone actually deliberately trying to hurt someone for no good reason,” McKenzie said.

McKenzie is grasping at straws.  The same reasoning could be applied to the arsons at U-Haul.  Nothing to gain, etc.  But hey, guess what, they just arrested a suspect in the Comfort Inn.

People around around here don’t need to manufacture reasons to dislike the BHP campers.  The continuous thefts and general disorder is enough.

• Nparker, GaryRanson, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#19034 aastra

aastra
  • 20,760 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:00 AM

The same reasoning could be applied to the arsons...

Hey, what does anyone gain by dumping junk and trash in Beacon Hill Park? It's bad for people who want to enjoy the park, but it's especially bad for people who want to live in the park. And yet it's happening.

• Awaiting Juno and Victoria Watcher like this

#19035 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:01 AM

So yes, free booze, but a lot of strings attached. I'm also in favour of free drugs with similar restrictions. Forget strings, these are ropes, take it or leave it. 

why free though?  street drugs are not free.  why should we reduce the price for government-supplied drugs/booze?  cost is one reason why addicts are not even in worse shape.

and we are already supplying free drugs but as that cbc article i posted the other day states, the drugs are not acceptable to many users.  they want the real stuff.  so they sell them.  as many as 50% of the 2000 recipients are selling their free supply.

#19036 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:07 AM

From my exposure to alcoholism, no one has ever gotten better via a steady supply of "safe" alcohol.

Did you not just read the study I posted earlier today? Cured, no. Better, yes.

• martini likes this

#19037 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,769 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:10 AM

I stand by my comment.

#19038 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:10 AM

why free though?  street drugs are not free.  why should we reduce the price for government-supplied drugs/booze?  cost is one reason why addicts are not even in worse shape.

I don't know, I never thought about that. Maybe there are concerns about the government profiting (or breaking even) on supplying destructive drugs. Dispensing it is bad enough. The optics of it I mean, not the health reasons why.

#19039 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:15 AM

I stand by my comment.

Why stand by a comment that makes no sense? These poor folks managed to slash their alcohol intake and get relatively healthier with fewer interactions with cops and hospitals. 

• martini likes this

#19040 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,769 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:20 AM

Why stand by a comment that makes no sense...

For the alcoholics I have known, there was no such thing as a "safe" amount of alcohol. Abstinence was the only way their lives became better. So my comment does make sense.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users