Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25851 replies to this topic

#19701 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:07 PM

Saw a report that the previously mentioned leaky camper was towed today with bylaw and police present. Apparently no insurance as well.

Edited by Klapecki, 16 September 2020 - 04:08 PM.

• Matt R. and pennymurphy2000 like this

#19702 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:07 PM

Can free alcohol to prevent cirrhosis of the liver be far off?
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#19703 IPH

IPH
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:36 PM

Oops... my bad... just noticed that the article was from 2008...

But that means he moved here from Edmonton.  I thought the PIT survey said all homeless people are from Victoria originally :confused:

Edited by IPH, 16 September 2020 - 07:36 PM.

• Nparker, Love the rock, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#19704 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:43 AM

In order to help speed up the rate at which people are killing themselves due to drug overdoses, the BC Government has decided that the solution is to make it easier for people to get free drugs. We know that hardcore addicts sell their free drugs to newbies and use the money to buy harder drugs.

https://www.timescol...aths-1.24203976

B.C. nurses will be able prescribe drugs to help stop overdose deaths

Millions of people all over the world still aren't medicating regularly. Governments and big corporations are in full agreement that it's a major issue.

#19705 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:42 PM

Oops... my bad... just noticed that the article was from 2008...

He was more stabby then.  He’s changed his life around.

#19706 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 17 September 2020 - 06:05 PM

986 pages, 19,713 posts in this thread. I’ve heard rumours that when it reaches 1,000 pages VV shuts down in a Y2K type of collapse - but for real. We need to hurry and solve homelessness to avert this tragedy - quick, we have less than 14 pages to go!

#19707 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:14 PM

Cook street village is getting to know it’s new neighbours...
Man threatened while walking his dog...

https://vancouverisl...-park-1.5108398

Notice the mention of a man who was placed at the Howard Johnson and who left because it was too out of control. I wonder where he is now... in a tent in BHP perhaps?

I really wonder how many of the hotel rooms we are paying for are actually utilized. Is there a way to FOI this?

Sorry Zoomer.. just adding to the long list...

Edited by A Girl is No one, 17 September 2020 - 07:23 PM.

#19708 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:28 PM

986 pages, 19,713 posts in this thread. I’ve heard rumours that when it reaches 1,000 pages VV shuts down in a Y2K type of collapse - but for real. We need to hurry and solve homelessness to avert this tragedy - quick, we have less than 14 pages to go!

I made the limit 3,000 pages before we have to solve it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19709 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:28 PM

Cook street village is getting to know it’s new neighbours...
Man threatened while walking his dog...

Notice the mention of a man who was placed at the Howard Johnson and who left because it was too out of control. I wonder where he is now... in a tent in BHP perhaps?

I really wonder how many of the hotel rooms we are paying for are actually utilized. Is there a way to FOI this?

Sorry Zoomer.. just adding to the long list...

The operators are private companies and NPOs and will not respond to any requests and are not covered by FOI.

• martini likes this

#19710 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:46 PM

The operators are private companies and NPOs and will not respond to any requests and are not covered by FOI.

WoW... considering that they operate mainly from government funds, this is quite a loophole...I think this is likely a big source of the problem...
  • martini and Teardrop like this

#19711 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:47 PM

Hilarity on Twitter as Adam Stirling exposes the mysterious Jamaican woman who has been cyberstalking him as in fact being an alias of the assault guy who runs the Beacon Hill Park tent city.

To make it better, the fake account had just 2 followers, one of which was the official Together Victoria account.

Fun times.

Clearly I'm a little slow getting out of the gate here. I wasn't tapping in to what this was all about. Holy hell! How freaking bizarre!

So Shea Smith posed as a black woman on Twitter to stalk Sterling. As if that wasn't messed up enough...this dude has like 3 pages/50 entries on the CSO. 

Not just Together Victoria following the troll, but also the documentary maker? Krista Loughton? 

The account has gone poof. 

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore Toto. 

Edited by martini, 17 September 2020 - 08:32 PM.

#19712 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:53 PM

Good question. Or what the criteria was in designating them. . 

I had spoken to someone awhile back who said a family member of theirs has a 

room at one of the hotels, but spends weeks still at BHP. Doesn't use the room

#19713 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:56 PM

...I had spoken to someone awhile back who said a family member of theirs has a room at one of the hotels, but spends weeks still at BHP. Doesn't use the room...

The alleged management of the recently acquired housing units would be laughable if it wasn't my tax dollars funding it.

#19714 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:56 PM

The alleged management of the recently acquired housing units would be laughable if it wasn't my tax dollars funding it.

Just before the 14 minute mark...Mr Smith talks about the lottery. They just randomly scooped people up in a hour? 

https://www.facebook...278618936712764

#19715 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 04:24 AM

A person who was moved from a tent on Pandora Avenue into the Howard Johnson hotel, which is housing people experiencing homelessness, said he recently moved out because of the violence and drug use.

“I am an addict,” said the man named Darcy. “I don’t want to be and I cannot quit when I am in that environment. This one is uncontrolled, so of course there is drugs, booze, prostitution, violence, thievery.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 September 2020 - 04:25 AM.

• martini likes this

#19716 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 08:45 AM

How many times have we seen quotes like that in news stories over the years? People plainly stating that they don't want to use support services because the environments are dangerous or exploitative, etc. We've seen people express concerns about physical safety, sexual assault, gangs... over and over again. The authorities are constantly stressing the "community" aspect, but real people are constantly pointing out how counterproductive & dangerous the supposed "community" really is.

Ensuring safety and security in these environments would be job #1 if this mission were anything close to legitimate. Zero chance for assault, zero chance for sexual assault, zero chance for robbery, zero chance for exposure to gangs or drug dealers or pimps, etc.

• Nparker, LJ, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

#19717 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:10 AM

#housingfirstandnothingmore

#19718 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:11 AM

Just before the 14 minute mark...Mr Smith talks about the lottery. They just randomly scooped people up in a hour? 

https://www.facebook...278618936712764

Not sure I'd believe exactly what he says. Have heard and seen enough to not believe that he tells the entire truth. 

Wonder if his background disqualified he and others from the initial housing. If so and BC Housing staff didn't tell them that's why they weren't chosen then it might seem like a lottery. They seem surprised of why people might feel uncomfortable around him. Or perhaps that's part of the ruse. 

• martini likes this

#19719 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:15 AM

How many times have we seen quotes like that in news stories over the years? People plainly stating that they don't want to use support services because the environments are dangerous or exploitative, etc. We've seen people express concerns about physical safety, sexual assault, gangs... over and over again. The authorities are constantly stressing the "community" aspect, but real people are constantly pointing out how counterproductive & dangerous the supposed "community" really is.

Ensuring safety and security in these environments would be job #1 if this mission were anything close to legitimate. Zero chance for assault, zero chance for sexual assault, zero chance for robbery, zero chance for exposure to gangs or drug dealers or pimps, etc.

There's the concept of Housing First which is that unless you have a secure home (basic need) you can't even try to address other issues. But it doesn't take into account the mass congregation of the very thing that a person wishing to escape shouldn't be around. Housing a bunch of these people in one geographic area doesn't work. Would work better if it could happen in smaller facilities in their home communities. 

• martini, Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#19720 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:23 AM

But that means he moved here from Edmonton.  I thought the PIT survey said all homeless people are from Victoria originally :confused:

That survey doesn't say that, industry advocates say that.

It's done every 2 years and the categories are less than 2 and then 2-5 years etc. 

Not to mention that the survey says they counted 1500 homeless but have data on only 800 and some.

If the percentages are adjusted for that 800 that they actually have data for the % will be higher.

• rmpeers likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)