Camping on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
438 replies to this topic

#181 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:36 AM

The province said yesterday the issue is supply, not reselling of sites. They try to stop reselling of sites. They do allow 'booking companies' and don't consider that reselling of sites. 4 or 5 new provincial campgrounds have added reservations, including the one on SSI. About half of the sites in the province are reservable in the summer.

Right, and re-sellers (package vacations) are 1% of the thing.

75+% of bookings are British Columbians.  14% from Alberta.  3.5% from the US.  

If anything, we are doing a poor job of advertising our camping facilities to outsiders.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#182 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:04 AM

Is it possible to create a new major provincial campground on the south Island? Something on Provincial land near a lake that has relatively easy access?

Don't most Island parks date from the WAC Bennett era? Seems supply is not keeping up with demand.

#183 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:13 AM

Is it possible to create a new major provincial campground on the south Island? Something on Provincial land near a lake that has relatively easy access?

Don't most Island parks date from the WAC Bennett era? Seems supply is not keeping up with demand.

There is a nice big field next to Beaver / Elk Lake.

• lanforod likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#184 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

There is a nice big field next to Beaver / Elk Lake.

Eh, maybe, but I doubt a lot of locals are excited about the prospects of camping at Elk Lake. Camping is not fun when your home is a six minute drive away. Maybe we can dump the tourists there.

#185 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:53 AM

One issue at least on the south island is that no municipality will allow a new private campground to be constructed and there's zero desire at the provincial level to create any. It's one of those nimby things. I mean do you want a campground near you?

#186 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:11 PM

One issue at least on the south island is that no municipality will allow a new private campground to be constructed and there's zero desire at the provincial level to create any. It's one of those nimby things. I mean do you want a campground near you?

Yes, I suppose there is not much upside, if you have a secret area you love, and live 4 minutes from.  Why invite everyone?

#187 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:15 PM

^No, not in a municipality, one carved out of one of the existing big provincial parks, like Little Qualicum Falls, Horne Lake etc.

#188 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:09 PM

There's 20 miles of lake up at Cowichan - lots of room there for another campground...

• tedward likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#189 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:41 PM

^That's what I'm thinking. If the population of Vancouver Island is going to rise by 100,000 in the next ten years or so, the time to plan future campgrounds is now.

#190 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:55 PM

Adding one at the Spoke Potholes Provincial Park would be easy if the one that the TLC used to operate was turned over to the province. It is just sitting there empty.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#191 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:42 PM

1. Alyard Farm at East Sooke Park (CRD)
2. Between island highway and old highway across road from RathTrevor
3. Sandcut Creek
4. End of Willis point road by MacKenzie bight
5. Courthouse lawn
6. Koksilah river (old campground site)
7. Chemainus river falls
8. Lots of places on Cowichan Lake
9. Lots of places on Juan de fuca trail
  • Mike K., Rob Randall, Danma and 1 other like this
"I know nothing"

#192 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:01 AM

Adding one at the Spoke Potholes Provincial Park would be easy if the one that the TLC used to operate was turned over to the province. It is just sitting there empty.

Empty?

http://www.tsoukenat...s-regional-park

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#193 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:00 PM

The province said yesterday the issue is supply, not reselling of sites. They try to stop reselling of sites. They do allow 'booking companies' and don't consider that reselling of sites. 4 or 5 new provincial campgrounds have added reservations, including the one on SSI. About half of the sites in the province are reservable in the summer.

Most of the sites have been booked for the campers that are being kicked out of their tent cities.

YES/No?

#194 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:03 PM

Didn't ask Rusty Shackleford for ID last night at China Beach campground.

#195 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:21 PM

Most of the sites have been booked for the campers that are being kicked out of their tent cities.

YES/No?

No, not enough bleeding hearts in the backcountry.

#196 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:27 AM

Just got back from camping at Horne Lake. This campground may be off the radar as it's operated by the Nanaimo Region, not by the adjoining Provincial park. We got a good spot near the lake on short notice. A site right on the lake went unclaimed last night so there are still a lot of good mid-week options, even in high season.

It's a great park. Unlike Shawnigan and Cowichan there are hardly any powerboats on the lake.

Here it's like I have the whole lake to myself!

Attached Images

• image.jpeg

Edited by Rob Randall, 06 August 2016 - 08:28 AM.

• VicHockeyFan and todd like this

#197 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:37 AM

Just got back from camping at Horne Lake. This campground may be off the radar as it's operated by the Nanaimo Region, not by the adjoining Provincial park. We got a good spot near the lake on short notice. A site right on the lake went unclaimed last night so there are still a lot of good mid-week options, even in high season.

It's a great park. Unlike Shawnigan and Cowichan there are hardly any powerboats on the lake.

Here it's like I have the whole lake to myself!

Horne Lake is awesome! Get into the caves? Don't get stuck in the "cheese grater" had to get two guys in the front one in the back to just literally rip me and my clothing and skin out out of there.... lost a little weight thinking of trying it again however. Worse comes to worse you stay there about a month without food and you'll get out.  Also got into the little tiny Cave at the top of the hill that goes to the underground waterfall started crawling in on my belly for quite a ways saw a neat little frog started taking photos and I felt something crawling on me then I realized it was covered with large tarantula like things I crawled backwards on my belly in quite the panic hitting my head on the ceiling many times, later found out there were large underground crickets, the lady at the office says she is still equally afraid of them too much legs.

Edited by todd, 06 August 2016 - 09:46 AM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#198 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:44 AM

My seventh grade class went on a field trip to the caves at Horne Lake. Best trip ever.

#199 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:03 AM

^Little kids have an unfair caving advantage.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#200 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:44 AM

No kidding. I've often thought of taking my own kids, but I'm not sure I'd be quite so enthusiastic about crawling through narrow passageways. We also had to cross a river or something to get to the caves -- on a log. I can't imagine any school doing that these days.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users