Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,676 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:07 PM

Noted.

Jesus, ASE, God speed.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#142 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:08 PM

Sombrio access is closed all weekend.  

Lame.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#143 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,156 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:28 AM

Ya, why the hell is that? Miles from nowhere where the young'uns can kick up a little sand with no one to harm except themselves. Where else are they supposed to go? 

#144 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:59 AM

Ya, why the hell is that? Miles from nowhere where the young'uns can kick up a little sand with no one to harm except themselves. Where else are they supposed to go? 

Presumably they disperse somewhat and cause the same havoc and damage over a larger, dispersed area.

I don't know why the solution has to be closing the whole thing off for the entire weekend.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#145 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:00 AM

Hasn't there been issues in the past with huge parties on Sombrio over the long weekend?

#146 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:25 AM

Hasn't there been issues in the past with huge parties on Sombrio over the long weekend?

Yes.  But is closing it to everyone the solution?

#147 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:39 PM

I think, VHF, that it is just the access that is closed - you can still use the campsites, and the beach.  

What's the point of a park, though, if the owners can't access it?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#148 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:50 PM

I think, VHF, that it is just the access that is closed - you can still use the campsites, and the beach.  

What's the point of a park, though, if the owners can't access it?

Ya, you can walk in 2.5km if you like.

That's not all so bad.  Might be tougher with a gaggle of small children.  That's about the distance from Cook and Bay St. to Dallas Rd.

#149 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:58 AM

A Parksville couple camping near Ucluelet were stranded for two days without food, water or warm clothes on a piece of land in the middle of a river near Virgin Falls after the tide swept away their tent. Left with no cellphone to call for help, the campers were rescued thanks to a massive search effort.

The man and woman in their 20s parked their pickup truck at a boat launch near Virgin Falls, about an hour-and-a-half drive outside the Town of Ucluelet, on the night of Sunday, May 17 and set up their tent on the low tide mark, said Ucluelet RCMP detachment commander Sgt. Jeff Swann.

“It was an unlucky choice of camping spot,” he said, because as they slept, the tide came rushing in and swept their tent into the middle of the river.

Obviously I'm glad this worked out.  But I did giggle a bit.

I guess it's an honest mistake, you think you are in a river (with no "tides"), not at the edge of the ocean and tide is coming.

But you'd think the ground where they set up the tent would give some indications that it floods about twice every 12 or 24 hours.  Odd that they did not pick up on that.

Also, in this age of privacy etc. is it odd they were able to check banking records so quickly?  Can a cop drop by or phone my bank and get info without a warrant?

#150 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,676 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:05 AM

Rookie mistake.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#151 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:24 AM

Also, in this age of privacy etc. is it odd they were able to check banking records so quickly?  Can a cop drop by or phone my bank and get info without a warrant?

This guy is a bad camper, a poor swimmer.  Maybe his mommy has his bank info too lol.

#152 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:07 AM

Campers rescued near Ucluelet after tent swept away by tide

Nearly 48 hours after their tent was washed away at high tide, leaving them stranded on a rocky outcrop near Ucluelet’s Virgin Falls without food, water, warm clothes or the ability to call for help, Alishia Adams and Brandon Bailey were starting to give up hope of ever being rescued.

There were huckleberry bushes with no berries, so they tried to eat the leaves. They squeezed a few drops of liquid from the veins of fern trees. The plants left them dizzy and vomiting, and they spent another cold night on the rock. 

“When I found out exactly how long they had been searching, how much they went through, I was absolutely in shock,” Adams said. “I don’t even know how I’m going to thank them, for not giving up on us and searching through the dark. I don’t know if we would have made it through that night.” 

This couple is dumb and dumber.

1.  You do not need to eat for three weeks.  Don't eat stuff you are unsure about.

2.  You are in a river, that's fresh water flowing past you, drink it.

3.  If fresh water is not flowing by, then you are at the end of the river, where it meets the ocean.  In that case, the current is not so bad.  Woman, it's your job to swim for it.

#153 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

Camping near running water can be risky such especially on the west coast when you can have a lot of rain in a short period of time. But to camp on an island that below the high tide mark is just plain stupid.

#154 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

Adams pulled the tent with her so they would have supplies, but let go when it threatened to pull her into the water. Minutes later, they found land, a small rocky outcropping bordered by a thick wall of trees on the other side of the 300-metre-wide river.

This river is 300m wide?  Come on...

#155 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:13 AM

Camping near running water can be risky such especially on the west coast when you can have a lot of rain in a short period of time. But to camp on an island that below the high tide mark is just plain stupid.

This was May long weekend, there was zero rain.

#156 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,676 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:17 AM

Camping is like it appears on TV. There a nice log to sit on, a cozy fire all night, and bears are googley-eyed bumbling idiots.

Know it all.

#157 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:21 AM

This was May long weekend, there was zero rain.

Lucky for them, but not so lucky for the residents of Cache Creek on the same May long weekend.

The violent storm dumped 30 to 40 millimetres of rain on Cache Creek in less than an hour Saturday.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...clark-1.3087665

#158 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:20 PM

Sooke Potholes Campground to Reopen this Friday - Victoria Buzz

#159 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:24 PM

I wonder if we shouldn't be adding campgrounds like crazy.  It seems to me if people want to come/stay here, we should be encouraging that.

I'm not really a camping guy, are we just short of full-service campgrounds, or are we short all types?

http://news.national...ncial-campsites

B.C. campers face a sold-out summer as private companies ‘block’ them out of provincial campsites

#160 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,622 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:48 PM

Great, first we are competing with our homes with the foreign market, now our campsites.... And people wonder why Brexit won....

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users