Camping on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
438 replies to this topic

#121 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

The parking lot at Sombrio Beach will have restricted access over the Victoria Day long weekend in an effort to discourage the sort of illegal activity that has plagued the area in the past...

http://www.timescolo...ekend-1.1061907

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#122 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

Sombrio didn't have these sorts of problems when the squatters led by Rivermouth Mike lived there.
  • AllseeingEye and Matt R. like this

#123 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

Sombrio didn't have these sorts of problems when the squatters led by Rivermouth Mike lived there.

I remember going there in the late 70's with high school friends for camping weekends: such an eclectic bunch of folks who literally lived there at the time! I well remember them including many dyed in the wool, aging "hippes" struggling at the time to hang on to that 60's lifestyle and "vibe", in addition to several ex-Vietnam vet-types. Seems like a completely different age and literally worlds away now....

#124 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

", in addition to several ex-Vietnam vet-types.

Probably ex Vietnam draft dodgers rather than vets I would guess.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#125 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

Probably ex Vietnam draft dodgers rather than vets I would guess.

A combination of both actually, mostly those dodging the draft but also a few who certainly saw active combat service in SE Asia. I know because I knew one of them personally. Tortured souls, and in an era where there were few if any services available for those suffering what we now know as PTSD. They were mostly solitary however one in particular hung out with us over a 2 year period, would visit our camp site whenever we showed up and leveraged his military and survival training among other things to build a home made sauna at Sombrio beach near the mouth of the river (one of the best sauna's I ever experienced), in addition to coming up with interesting and innovative ways to catch fish. As I say it was an extremely eclectic group comprised in a sense of "green", largely environmentally conscious individuals before that movement became fashionable. I suspect that lifestyle and those who lived it is now long gone as its been over 25 years since I last camped there.

#126 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

The squatters were all evicted when the park was put in...

http://www.theglobea...article4249130/

#127 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

Camping on Lake Cowichan as I post.

Attached Images

• IMG_20140706_210923.jpg

• AllseeingEye and David Bratzer like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#128 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

Camping on Lake Cowichan as I post.

Gorgeous area; I just finished a 3-day camping-fishing trip several clicks to your east at Nitnaht Lake. Love tramping all over the Cowichan watershed in pursuit of trout and steel head. Nice pic G-man,

#129 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

To my west ;) but bonus donut for someone that can name my spot. Mike is disqualified.

It has a whole new look!

#130 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

To my west ;) but bonus donut for someone that can name my spot. Mike is disqualified.

Correct you are; just got in tonight and the brain is a bit waterlogged from 3 days standing in river and lake systems. I'll bite - Gordon Bay?

#131 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:22 PM

Looks like Gordon Bay to me. Was there camping 10 days ago :)

On second look, not sure as the beach curves the wrong way...

Edited by lanforod, 06 July 2014 - 11:23 PM.

#132 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

mmm looks nice, hope to be out that way in a week or two :)

#133 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:33 AM

Not Gordon Bay.

It has a whole new look!

#134 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

Hmm, spent a fair amount of time splashing around in a seaplane there over the last few winters.  So: North shore of the lake, just west of Youbou.  There's a bulge in the shoreline there (or, a narrowing of the lake, if you prefer) you are standing on the western edge of the bulge, looking Southeast.  Google Earth says it's called Pine Point. Roughly: N48 52 52 by W124 15 33

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#135 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

Nope wrong shore.

It has a whole new look!

#136 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

Nope wrong shore.

It's on the south shore just along a bit.

#137 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:36 AM

The BC reservations system is now open for 2015.

http://www.gocamping...eservations.php

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#138 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:27 AM

The BC reservations system is now open for 2015.

http://www.gocamping...eservations.php

A sure sign summer is not too far away; be careful though when booking using the online booking calendar.

I did two years ago for Pacific Playground-Oyster River but the mouse slipped over the screen, unbeknownst to me, so several weeks later when we showed up on the Canada Day long weekend after a 3.5 hour drive, the campground admin person looked at the booking sheet and says "Mr ASE and family.....Mr ASE and family...hm.....um, hang on.....oh THERE you are! Got you now. Er....for *next* weekend...."

Needless to say it was a long drive home....

#139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

You didn't just wanna rough it out in the woods?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#140 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

You didn't just wanna rough it out in the woods?

Trust me that two 16 year old girls do not rough it out in the woods....gotta have access to hot showers (even Mrs. ASE insists on this one), ideally a teen activity center where there is at least the potential for cute boys to be hanging around, and above all power outlets for tablets and smart phones. You cannot be in a position to_not charge the phones especially for in that eventuality civilization as we know would cease to exist.

My idea of camping is rather different of course and usually involves 3-4 other guys, lots and lots and lots of fishing gear, one-man tents, no shaving implements, plenty of vodka and under no circumstances electronic technology of any kind that involves "plugging in". My truck, fishing gear, flashlight and a propane camp stove all suffice.

• vicernie likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)