Photo

Amalgamation of Victoria municipalities

• Please log in to reply
2247 replies to this topic

#2061 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:58 AM

Not having public meetings means that the members of the assembly won't be hounded by pro- and anti- amalgamation people. These are supposed to be 96 people, some of whom won't have any experience with the fairly intense crap that can be thrown at you publicly, not to mention media that straight up make up stuff about you.

If you want to see what happens when meetings are public, take the example of the CRD's Deer Mgmt Committee: https://www.youtube....h?v=rAhZ0tX8mvk Eagle-eyed viewers will spot me when I worked for CRD Regional Planning (and was much less grey)

For the record, I am an Esquimalt resident, so no personal stake, but even if I were a Victoria resident like I was from 2014 to 2017,  I would still support meeting in private with public, non-identifiable minutes.

Edited by Coreyburger, 21 March 2019 - 08:00 AM.

• rjag and tedward like this

#2062 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:05 AM

Saanich councillor Judy Brownoff is none too happy that Helps wants these meetings held in camera. Other Saanich politicians are expected to voice their opinions on the matter once an official letter from the CoV is received by Saanich.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2063 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:07 AM

Not having public meetings means that the members of the assembly won't be hounded by pro- and anti- amalgamation people. These are supposed to be 96 people, some of whom won't have any experience with the fairly intense crap that can be thrown at you publicly, not to mention media that straight up make up stuff about you.

Democracy dies in darkness.

I don't buy the "hounded" argument. Even if some individuals do approach assemblymen or women and convey their thoughts on the issue, the assemblymen or women are expected to listen, politely thank them, and move on.

As a member of such an assembly they are taking on a degree of responsibility that comes with obligations towards society, and if some assemblymen or women are too concerned with the public looking on then they have no business getting involved in such matters.

• Nparker and Tom Braybrook like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2064 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:19 AM

And how will these 96 residents be selected?

That's probably one of the things Victoria and Saanich councils are deciding through the "citizen assembly council committee." 

#2065 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:20 AM

I don't buy the "hounded" argument. Even if some individuals do approach assemblymen or women and convey their thoughts on the issue, the assemblymen or women are expected to listen, politely thank them, and move on.

As a member of such an assembly they are taking on a degree of responsibility that comes with obligations towards society, and if some assemblymen or women are too concerned with the public looking on then they have no business getting involved in such matters.

...if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen...sez my mom!...

#2066 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:27 AM

That's probably one of the things Victoria and Saanich councils are deciding through the "citizen assembly council committee." 

In camera?

#2067 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:01 PM

If you want to see what happens when meetings are public, take the example of the CRD's Deer Mgmt Committee: https://www.youtube....h?v=rAhZ0tX8mvk Eagle-eyed viewers will spot me when I worked for CRD Regional Planning (and was much less grey)

For the record, I am an Esquimalt resident, so no personal stake, but even if I were a Victoria resident like I was from 2014 to 2017,  I would still support meeting in private with public, non-identifiable minutes.

".......not to mention media that straight up make up stuff about you."

or politicians, politicians make stuff up about 'you' as well - have heard it, seen it and been roundly disgusted by it.

#2068 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:43 PM

Yep. The deliberations of this sort of body should be conducted without interference from any special interests and the delegates should be free to speak their minds without fear of retribution and harassment.

This is an advisory body, assembled to give an opinion. It is NOT an elected body making a decision.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#2069 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:49 PM

This is an advisory body, assembled to give an opinion. It is NOT an elected body making a decision.

Neither are individuals who speak during public hearings in order to impose on council their feelings. If those individuals are streamed live as they step up to the podium, what makes their participation in the democratic process eligible for public broadcasting, but the assembly's process not?

Know it all.

#2070 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:50 PM

I don't think that the average member of the public is going to get too worked up about discussions on amalgamation. I think that Helps wants things done in private so that the public doesn't see how she plans to run the meetings, not what questions members might ask.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#2071 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:54 PM

Saanich and Victoria committees disagree over size of assembly studying amalgamation

https://www.vicnews....g-amalgamation/

#2072 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:16 AM

^ Have fun getting 100 people of a diverse nature to commit to 6-10 Saturdays of discussion

• Awaiting Juno and VIResident like this

#2073 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:01 AM

“I commit to being bound by whatever the citizens assembly determines is the best way forward. If [it] determines amalgamation is the best way forward, then I will become a champion of amalgamation when a referendum is held,” she said.

Should the assembly suggest harmonization of services between the two municipalities instead, Helps said she would back that, too.

“If we are going to undertake [the process] in good faith, we have to let it do what it needs to do, but we also must honour the results,” Helps said — although she added that Victoria council would not be bound by the citizens assembly conclusions.

https://www.timescol...tion-1.23814941

#2074 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:03 AM

although she added that Victoria council would not be bound by the citizens assembly conclusions.

And why would they when the citizens assembly conclusions might cost them their jobs?

#2075 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:51 AM

A great letter in today's TC

Fear not, Saanich, if you amalgamate with the city, you effectively become the city...Not only would you not have to suffer some of the inanities we now go through, but you could spread some reason and stability into the core, which is currently out of your control (and ours, too)...

https://www.timescol...ncil-1.23825536

• tedward, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#2076 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

What's really sad, is I wonder how many people thought Together Victoria was a pro-amalgamation slate of candidates?

#2077 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:31 AM

What's really sad, is I wonder how many people thought Together Victoria was a pro-amalgamation slate of candidates?

It's sad to think that local voters could be that ill-informed, but anything's possible.

#2078 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:45 AM

look how many voted for a candidate that dropped out or the federal liberal candidate when there was none.

#2079 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:21 AM

A recent town hall meeting convened by Victoria city council turned ugly in a hurry.

Speaker after speaker complained about open drug use in the urban centre, human waste on sidewalks, harassment of business owners, and unrelenting traffic congestion. Bike lanes, in particular, were a recurring source of frustration.

https://www.timescol...haul-1.23855532

• Nparker likes this

#2080 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:04 AM

^ I agree with the issues identified by the article, but not necessarily the solution.  It is not clear to me how Amalgamation of the CRD is going to fix the issue identified in Vernon?  Who is Vernon supposed to amalgamate with?  Armstrong BC?

Amalgamation is not some magic cure that will stop a council from being nutty.  Being larger won't guarantee being better. For example, Victoria is a larger municipality than Langford.... 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users