Photo

Concerts in Victoria + region + music industry news

• Please log in to reply
3054 replies to this topic

#1761 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:13 PM

The CH concert didn't rattle my windows or keep me awake, so it was definitely one of my favourites.

• Mike K. likes this

#1762 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:17 PM

One of the managers I know at the Capital City Centre said the lounge started to fill up well before the concert was over...

Edited by sdwright.vic, 25 June 2019 - 05:28 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1763 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,933 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:20 PM

One of the managers I know at the Capital City Centre said the long started to fill up well before the concert was over...

???   :confused:

• Matt R. likes this

#1764 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:28 PM

Lounge... sorry autocorrect.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1765 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:57 PM

I see Thrush Hermit has reformed for a tour, reliving their 1999 critically acclaimed album Clayton Park. Victoria show is October 15 at Capital Ballroom.

Matt.

#1766 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:23 PM

Anyone attend ?

I did. Was pleasantly surprised. As described above, he connected well with the audience, gave everyone the feels, did a number of covers really well. Great band, great performance. There were still seats noticeably available, but there was a good crowd (I think 3000+ noted in the TC review).

• Mike K. and SimonH like this

#1767 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:43 PM

I see Thrush Hermit has reformed for a tour, reliving their 1999 critically acclaimed album Clayton Park. Victoria show is October 15 at Capital Ballroom.

Pumped for this one. Long time Plaskett fan. 

• Matt R. likes this

#1768 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:19 PM

Indeed. I wonder if they will play the album start to finish.

Matt.

#1769 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:08 PM

Hope they do. Sloan has done that recently with the 20 year anniversaries of their albums.  

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#1770 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:35 PM

I must be at that sweet spot in terms of age, as this is becoming more common. Copperhead road last year, and in August Moist is touring performing Silver for its anniversary. Mmmm, moist.

Matt.
  • thundergun likes this

#1771 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:54 AM

Times Colonist:

The face of Victoria concerts has been effectively upended by the news just now that Atomique Productions been enveloped into Vancouver's MRG Concerts Western Canada, which also purchased the Capital Ballroom from a team of local owners in a separate deal. Story from Times Colonist reporter Mike Devlin to come.

#1772 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:07 PM

^ Press release from MRG Concerts here: https://themrggroup.com/news/

#1773 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:36 PM

Well, that's an interesting development.

#1774 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:06 PM

Great article on Glen Parfitt's Royal City Music Project:

“There were some crazy stories and I was thinking to myself, somebody’s got to write this down,” he recalls. He called up friend and guitarist Ross Damude and together with bassist Ken Sherwood they got to compiling what would become the Royal City Music Project (RCMP).

In the years since, and with the help of LiveVictoria.com’s Nev Gibson, it has become an online treasure trove of Victoria’s musical history (rcmusicproject.com). There you’ll find archival information, recordings and videos of bands, musicians, shows and venues from roughly 1950 onward

https://www.mondayma...A2PfL7Y5uK68nD4

• Mike K. and AllseeingEye like this

#1775 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:26 PM

One day in the future, the Victoria entertainment scene will truly come to realize what Glenn (two "n's") has accomplished in terms of saving what otherwise would have been lost permanently.

It's not just what Glenn's done in terms of documenting the history of live music in Victoria, it's the accuracy with which he's documented it. 

Glenn isn't just gathering random posters and writing about things he's "heard" about. He literally lived the live entertainment scene in Victoria for decades, and is writing and documenting everything most often "first hand", with perhaps "second hand" only for those bands that were around prior to his adult years.

A Capital Region treasure and priceless asset, Glenn deserves all the recognition he's currently getting ... and much, much more!

#1776 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:22 PM

The Harpos, the Limit & La Hacienda FB page is a great resource as well!

Matt.

#1777 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:32 PM

I have been meaning to email Glenn with a bio about our band that he already has on his site, but I never seem to get around to it.

People that say they remember the 60’s couldn’t have really been there ....but I was and I remember.

We were the house band at the Golden Slipper (located up a crap load of stairs above the Old British Fish and Chips on Broad Street). Our gig was Friday and Saturday nights from midnight until 3 AM. What a hoot. Something that very few 17 year olds had the good fortune to experience.

The joint was owned by one of the CHEK TV Saturday afternoon wrestlers. His name was Gordy Gordienko who only had one rule for the band. When the fight broke out DON’T stop playing.....otherwise it would escalate and everybody would jump in.

He would then negotiate the perpetrator of the ruckus to the top of the crap load of stairs and send the guy briskly home. Downwards.

They never came back up.
  • Mike K., AllseeingEye and Matt R. like this

#1778 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:45 PM

https://www.mondayma...A2PfL7Y5uK68nD4

Good on Glenn; he's had some serious health challenges in the last few years so nice to see him not only get some recognition for his efforts but also knowing that trove of material will be professionally stored, archived and looked after.

When my dad got elected into the West Coast Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in 2006 prior to the induction ceremony he called me up and asked "who is this Glenn Parfitt fellow and what's the "RCMP" all about?"

I'd never heard of either so jokingly mentioned I'd seen a Parfitt Bros van a few days earlier and "maybe its a gardening and lawn cutting outfit?!" Little did I know on the one hand his family were major contributors to building early 20th century Victoria just as he later built up and cataloged the history of our music heritage for the last 60 years. Good on ya old timer, recognition well deserved and more than earned.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 16 July 2019 - 06:45 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#1779 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,933 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:49 AM

yes parfaits built among other things the cathedral on quadra near the y and the bay street armoury. they were good with stone. and brick.

#1780 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:41 PM

I see Sloan is heading back on tour to play their fourth album Navy Blues. Distrikt nightclub, oct 29.

I’m sorta maxed on concerts this fall, but can never seem to pass up a chance to see Sloan.

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users