Concerts in Victoria + region + music industry news

• Please log in to reply
3054 replies to this topic

#1781 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:54 PM

That is very tempting. I have never seen them but have always wanted to...

• Matt R. likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1782 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:31 PM

That is very tempting. I have never seen them but have always wanted to...

Really great live band, and the fans are fun too!

Matt.

#1783 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 05:25 AM

Woodstock 50 is done.

No surprise there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1784 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:04 AM

Seems like it's been a bad year for festivals.  

Locally Atomique gets the blame for the cancellation of RTS and Rifflandia but it seems the problem is bigger than that.  Performer fatigue? Festival saturation? Weak dollar for Canadian festivals? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1785 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:47 AM

I can't help but think people are starting to get turned off by the way festivals are operated now. You pay through the nose for tickets, you're ushered in to a fenced zone with no exits permitted, you're bombarded by advertising and promotional materials, you're charged heavily for basic food, water and of course drinks, and with more and more frequency big acts are cancelling their shows while ticket holders are not offered any compensation.

The costs to put on these events also keeps rising and the potential for post-event mess/destruction has made some landowners who used to play along a little weary.

That's just my 02 cents.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1786 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:58 AM

a big ontario one was cancelled and the promoter lost $10M before even putting on their first year.

#1787 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:08 PM

a big ontario one was cancelled and the promoter lost $10M before even putting on their first year.

Quite often it isn't the promoter but the early ticket buyers that get burned.

Artists can't make meaningful money from 'album' sales anymore so they have to rely on touring and merch sales to pay the bills. Most bands can't fill a venue on their own so they rely on festivals which have become saturated. 

• Nparker likes this

#1788 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:23 PM

here’s the Ontario one:

Creditors are owed a combined total of $16.5 million, almost 100 times more money than MF Live Inc. has left in the bank.
Organizers anticipated the four-day event would sell 40,000 tickets, but records show around 10,000 tickets were actually sold.
The trustee says it plans to look into the payments made to the agents of performers like Aerosmith, Nickelback, and Kid Rock, all of whom were paid in full, but never stepped foot on stage. "We do intend on having the discussions wi

https://barrie.ctvne...ished-1.4530334

#1789 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:23 PM

here’s the Ontario one:

Creditors are owed a combined total of $16.5 million, almost 100 times more money than MF Live Inc. has left in the bank.
Organizers anticipated the four-day event would sell 40,000 tickets, but records show around 10,000 tickets were actually sold.
The trustee says it plans to look into the payments made to the agents of performers like Aerosmith, Nickelback, and Kid Rock, all of whom were paid in full, but never stepped foot on stage. "We do intend on having the discussions wi

https://barrie.ctvne...ished-1.4530334

Aerosmith alone got $4 million for nothing. kid rock $750k

The creditor with the lion's share of debt in the wake of the failed festival is ticket-vendor site, Eventbrite Inc. The online company is on the hook for $5 million after repaying ticketholders.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 August 2019 - 01:28 PM.

#1790 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:08 PM

Hopped over to see Bon Iver perform at the Pacific Coliseum. Fantastic performance, 23 song setlist, including some great older tracks, and killer production value. The last couple of shows I’ve seen there, the sound quality has been stellar, much better than what I remember it being.

Apparently there were still tickets available, but i sure didn’t see many empty seats. Packed!

Matt.

#1791 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:13 PM

Hopped over to see Bon Iver perform at the Pacific Coliseum. Fantastic performance, 23 song setlist, including some great older tracks, and killer production value. The last couple of shows I’ve seen there, the sound quality has been stellar, much better than what I remember it being.

Apparently there were still tickets available, but i sure didn’t see many empty seats. Packed!

Matt.

iMi
We
Holyfields,
Lump Sum
666 ʇ
715 - CREEKS
U (Man Like)
Jelmore
8 (circle)

Play Video
Marion
Play Video
Towers
Play Video
Perth
Play Video
Faith
Play Video
Salem
Play Video
re: Stacks
Play Video
____45_____
(Tour debut)
Play Video
33 “GOD”
Play Video
Sh'Diah
Play Video
Naeem
Play Video
Encore:
Holocene
Play Video
Hey, Ma
Play Video
Heavenly Father
Play Video
RABi

#1792 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:06 PM

re:Stacks and Holocene were brilliant, glad he did them. Next up, Alice in Chains and Dallas Green in Seattle!

Matt.

#1793 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:46 PM

Had a great day and a half in Seattle, took the 5pm clipper on Thursday, back on the Saturday at 7:30. That morning came a bit early, but the service is just so great I didn’t mind. Base fare was $109USD return, pretty tough to beat that price going any other way.

Snagged a single ticket to see Ghost on the Thursday, and I’m glad I did. What a fantastic performance! Hard to describe, some have compared them to early Alice Cooper, but that doesn’t mean anything to me. Great costumes, music, props, sax solo, keytar solo, etc. Some real satanic stuff going on.

Friday night was City and Colour opening for Alice in Chains on the last show of their very long tour.. in their home town! The crowd loved them. I think they had a couple weeks off between shows so they were in fine form, total pro and blew the roof off the place. Sound was so loud you could feel it rippling your clothes. Crisp.

City and Colour was in fine form, but most of the crowd seemed uninterested. Different audiences I think.

Both shows were at the Washington Music theatre at Century Link field. Basic venue, one show was seated, the other all GA, but great sound and amenities and I got there early so sight lines weren’t an issue. They pushed the 7000 or so into the place in good time, very well organized.

Next up Barns Courtney, and then Dinosaur Jr...

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 23 September 2019 - 12:10 AM.

• Wayne and todd like this

#1794 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 02:55 PM

toronto gets the 2021 junos for the 50th birthday.  not sure if there is any more interest in victoria now that coleman is gone(?).

we tried in 2014.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 September 2019 - 02:56 PM.

#1795 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:24 PM

Almost nine years ago I wrote about the bid launch:

https://web.archive....ittee-launched/

Hosted by Victoria City Councillor Chris Coleman, the press event marked the start of what Coleman calls “a lot of heavy lifting” between now and mid-April when the bid book is delivered to the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, the non-profit group that administers Canada’s music awards celebration. Coleman was instrumental in getting the bid process off the ground, starting with a series of informal coffee dates in an effort to garner support from a multitude of interest groups, politicians and members of the music community.

#1796 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:26 PM

I see Thrush Hermit has reformed for a tour, reliving their 1999 critically acclaimed album Clayton Park. Victoria show is October 15 at Capital Ballroom.

Matt.

Arg.  I bought two tickets for this when it was first announced and now I will be out of town on the day of (October 15th).  Anybody here want some discounted tickets for Thrush Hermit?  :mellow:

• Matt R. likes this

#1797 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:36 PM

Can’t do it. Barns Courtney tomorrow and then Dino Jr. later in October. I gotta work at some point.

Matt.

#1798 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 11:31 PM

Wow! What can I say besides wow... he killed it!

Barns Courtney isn’t someone I’m familiar with at all, it turns out I’ve heard two of his songs on the radio but didn’t know who it was.

He played a sold out show at the Imperial in Vancouver last night, with people coming from provinces to the east to see him. Apparently a very loyal fanbase! Everyone but me knew all the words to the songs and he had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand. I haven’t seen a club show like that before and it was packed.

Opener was another English band called The Hunna, also very good, worth checking out.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 02 October 2019 - 11:31 PM.

#1799 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:54 AM

Arg.  I bought two tickets for this when it was first announced and now I will be out of town on the day of (October 15th).  Anybody here want some discounted tickets for Thrush Hermit?  :mellow:

Too bad you missed it. Was an amazing show!

• Matt R. likes this

#1800 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:19 AM

I ended up going last minute and I’m glad I did. I forgot how great that album is, it’s aged very well and the band was super tight. I’ve never seen the venue so empty.

Also don’t remember the beers being $9 last time I was there, but I probably wasn’t paying attention.

Next up, Sloan and then a Dinosaur Jr.!

Matt.
  • thundergun likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users