Photo

Earl's | Victoria | Government St. @ View St.

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:48 PM

Went there last week, not bad.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:15 PM

Were the hostesses and servers snooty?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:39 PM

^ that's the way I like them.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:08 PM

hahaha. All I know, (coming from a single guy), the waitresses are beautiful!

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:36 AM

The place was a big let-down for me. It's like they're on cruise control now that they're in a touristy part of town. The waitresses don't care as much. The food was dull. I enjoyued it at the other location a lot, but I have issues with this one.
I will have to try it again when they get their **** together.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:42 AM

I haven't tried the new version, but this one looks a little too slick for me--too much like Cactus Club. I fear the food and service will suffer for the benefit of generating an über-cool "scene".
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#7 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

Yeah. That was the thing that bugged me too about it. It was so obvious that they were TRYING to copy the Cactus Club look. In fact I kept forgetting that I wasn't in Cactus Club.
I don't mind C.C.
The food is actually pretty good. And they have that "Ugly" beer there. Mmmm.
(And the waitresses are cuter.)

#8 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:33 PM

I love the new Earl's. It's a great place. ANd it's NOT Cactus Club (blah). The waitresses and hostesses are awesome. But then again, they were probably only being nice to me to get a nice tip...which they got llloolololol...I"m a sucker for beautiful women. I'm just really shy...lol...

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:37 PM

Order an espresso milkshake at Cactus Club and add a couple of shots of your choice. Expensive, but very enjoyable.

#10 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:44 PM

Well, there was this person who at at Cactus Club everyday. And he was pretty gross. I won't say what he used to do but it turned me off from there.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

I've been here a couple of times for lunch in the last few months. While the service is good, the food doesn't compare to the fare offered by Cactus Club. The latter presents and prepares the food better, IMO.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

Not a fan of Earls.

#13 ptolomeus

ptolomeus
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:29 PM

Was there two weeks ago, nothing special (positive or negative) except maybe it was a little bit too loud.

#14 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

Some fellow downtown colleagues of mine alleged to me that upon walking by earls at lunch today, that they did notice a giant red sticker stating LIQUOR LICENCE SUSPENDED, accompanied by the obligatory, "Closed for kitchen renovations" statement (which those in the biz know is code for LIQUOR LICENCE SUSPENDED). Anyone have any further scoop on this and/or are their observations accurate?

#15 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:02 PM

This is a great site, surprised you did not know of it.

http://www.pssg.gov....mary-report.pdf

Anyways, scroll down to the bottom ("Victoria") and you'll see they are serving their time for an infraction that occurred nearly a year ago, "permitting patron to become intoxicated".

It's a good a time as any to close for some cleaning, cut your labour, etc.

Matt.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:06 PM

Anyways, scroll down to the bottom ("Victoria") and you'll see they are serving their time for an infraction that occurred nearly a year ago, "permitting patron to become intoxicated".

Matt.

Ouch, 8 days. Not just a $10,000 or $15,000 fine, where the owners could deal with it (suffer under it), and all their staff would not lose over a week's pay. I know of no other industry anywhere where they penalize the entire staff for one or two person's mistakes.

#17 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

Really, they are penalizing the business. They could choose to keep the staff on if they wanted to, closed or not.

Matt.

#18 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

Matt.

I'm a bit surprised I didn't know about this, either. Thanks for the link! As for earls, chances are this wasn't their first warning (given the gravity of the sanction).

#19 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

Really, they are penalizing the business. They could choose to keep the staff on if they wanted to, closed or not.

Matt.

Correct. I am sure that the $10K or $15K that VHF suggests would cover a good portion of staff wages for a week.

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

This sounds like a joke but it's true, folks:

A complaint has been filed with the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal (BCHRT) against Earls Restaurant Ltd. on behalf of all persons in British Columbia with the genetic condition known as albinism (sometimes referred to as “albinos”).

The complaint alleges that

-Earls has discriminated against persons with albinism by marketing and selling Albino Rhino Beer and Albino Chicken Wings to the public at its restaurants.
-The marketing and selling of the Earls Albino products is demeaning to persons with albinism and promotes demeaning behaviour towards them.
-It is humiliating for persons with albinism to patronize the company’s restaurants while other customers around them are ordering these products by simply asking for “an albino.”

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users