Black Press and Victoria News

• Please log in to reply
414 replies to this topic

#321 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,557 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:05 PM

I’d like to remind everyone to include at least one paragraph for a linked article.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#322 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 08:18 PM

We had an issue of Epoch Times delivered to our door, anyone get this regularly? 

How valid is it's claim to be nothing but facts rather than opinion?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#323 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,557 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 08:24 PM

Is that a Black Press publication? Or do you mean they’re delivering it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#324 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 09:25 PM

Not valid at all. Not a high-quality paper. I like anything that sticks it to the Chinese commies but it strays to far into wacko right-wing territory.

#325 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 08:38 AM

We had an issue of Epoch Times delivered to our door, anyone get this regularly? 

You should be able to tell the difference. Never mind its claims.

• Redd42 likes this

#326 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,557 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:26 AM

I’m still trying to figure out why this is in the Black Press thread. Is there a connection I don’t know about?

Know it all.

#327 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:17 PM

It's been delivered by Canada Post in the Lower Mainland since the spring--interesting it's being delivered here now. 

#328 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 07:24 PM

It was hand delivered by a woman going door to door.

You should be able to tell the difference. Never mind its claims.

Haven't read it yet.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#329 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:44 AM

I’ve received a couple times at the door without request. I know they’ve had some problems with all copies being stolen from some newspaper stands in the CRD. I don’t know it’s pretty weird but so is every other news media source.

You saved a dollar: https://youtu.be/_C05YGsu_lM

#330 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,040 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:48 AM

I think it’s fairly well known than traditional Chinese don’t support the paper. and yes that’s perhaps why copies are sometimes taken from bulk distribution points.

on the other hand I think critics of hardline Chinese volunteer to often deliver it door to door.

#331 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:06 AM

I think it’s fairly well known than traditional Chinese don’t support the paper. and yes that’s perhaps why copies are sometimes taken from bulk distribution points.
on the other hand I think critics of hardline Chinese volunteer to often deliver it door to door.

I thought it was Hillary Clinton supporters: https://youtu.be/_C05YGsu_lM

#332 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:07 AM

I also get the Watchtower once every six months.

#333 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 10:26 AM

"Victoria mayor wants newspaper boxes removed from downtown streets"

https://www.vicnews....wntown-streets/

#334 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 10:56 AM

^ Old news but clearly, IMHO, retaliation against Black and Focus for running negative stories about her and the City.

• todd likes this

#335 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 10:59 AM

^ Old news but clearly, IMHO, retaliation against Black and Focus for running negative stories about her and the City.

Or deeper.

#336 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:08 AM

A glimpse into a local-news content factory
"You were encouraged to talk to the least amount of people as possible" when reporting a story, says a former Black Press journalist. JULY 5, 2021
NEWS BRIEF BY CANADALAND

On February 1, 2020, the Victoria News published an interview with Gina Mowatt, a Gitxsan grad student who, in solidarity with Unist’ot’en land defenders, had recently taken part in a sit-in at the offices of B.C.’s energy ministry. Running 695 words, the online article placed significant weight on Mowatt’s account of how Victoria police had been overly aggressive in how they broke up the sit-in and took her and other participants into custody. Although some of the allegations were significant, the article offered no indication of what efforts, if any, had been made to verify them or seek comment.

Six days later, the article was quietly revised. Despite retaining the headline — “Wet’suwet’en supporter ‘heartbroken and terrified’ during arrest at Victoria sit-in” — it was suddenly 300 words shorter, with the details of Mowatt’s allegations removed and a video statement from police chief Del Manak added in. (The earlier version is still here.)

This week’s CANADALAND features a report from Alex de Boer about just what the heck happened there — and what it can tell us about Victoria News‘ parent company, Black Press.  https://www.canadala...5657b-295541301

#337 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,557 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:15 AM

Hate to break it to this journalist, but that’s the bar you set for yourself:

A: Stories with one or no sources, usually. We got a lot of quick turnaround, so it would just be a news release that was emailed to us, and we would just rewrite it, basically.

B: You were encouraged to talk to the least amount of people as possible.…Every single police presser that we got was just literally written verbatim. There were no calls made. There were no quotes to be gotten. Like, you know, if it was a [Victoria Police Department] presser, that was gospel and you wrote it.

They focus on police here, because that’s en vogue. But they also replicate virtually every single press release of every single agency they want to provide content for. Again, VicPD is cool to beat on, so they beat on them.

Know it all.

#338 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,040 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:19 AM

Gina is “half settler”. how does she work that out?

#339 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,557 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:24 AM

Her first mistake was not issuing a press release.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#340 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,040 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 05:19 AM

the allegation at about 41 minutes into the audio is that the black press publisher attended a hockey game where several off duty out of uniform vicPD members were drinking, and Manak dressed her down. shortly after that the story was altered.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users