Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#5201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:39 PM

Horgan, speaking time media, made it sound like it was an oversight to still allow US and Mexican flights into YYJ after the ban on arrivals was enacted.

Did anyone else catch that?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5202 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:15 PM

Horgan, speaking time media, made it sound like it was an oversight to still allow US and Mexican flights into YYJ after the ban on arrivals was enacted.

Did anyone else catch that?

What he was getting at was the Province of BC didn't agree with the Federal decision to exempt flights from the United States and Mexico/Caribbean (sun destinations) from the whole "we're only using 4 airports for international arrivals" thing. Sunwing and WestJet cancelled all sun destination flights pretty much right away, and now that Alaska is no longer operating to Victoria and Kelowna, the issue is moot. So he was essentially sending a thinly veiled shot at the feds for allowing that exemption and leaving it up to the airlines themselves to make that call.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#5203 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:56 PM

What he was getting at was the Province of BC didn't agree with the Federal decision to exempt flights from the United States and Mexico/Caribbean (sun destinations) from the whole "we're only using 4 airports for international arrivals" thing. Sunwing and WestJet cancelled all sun destination flights pretty much right away, and now that Alaska is no longer operating to Victoria and Kelowna, the issue is moot. So he was essentially sending a thinly veiled shot at the feds for allowing that exemption and leaving it up to the airlines themselves to make that call.

Not exactly moot with Horizon still flying in and out of here. Saw one of their Q400s depart this afternoon.

#5204 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:06 PM

Not exactly moot with Horizon still flying in and out of here. Saw one of their Q400s depart this afternoon.

Tomorrow is the final day for Alaska service to both Victoria and Kelowna. That's what I mean by they are no longer operating.

#5205 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:15 PM

so ac will rehire the workers. But they will sit at home. Odd.

A spokesperson for the airline told CBC News that all all furloughed workers who qualify will be put back on payroll but they will not be brought back to active duty status as there is no work for them, given the schedule reductions. But they will have access to their existing benefits packages.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...bsidy-1.5525926

WestJet has just now announced a similar program. Re-hiring 6,400 staff thanks to wage supplements from the feds.

#5206 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:57 PM

Sooooo I can rehire the staff I want, and the feds will happily pay them 75% of their wage to sit at home and do nothing?

Jesus, I’m not looking forward to the 12% gst and 27% property tax increase in 2023.

Matt.

#5207 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:07 PM

^I can't get my head wrapped around that either. AC and WJ are going to rehire all their staff and have them do what?

Be a lot cheaper for the government and me and you if they just put them on the CERB.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5208 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:13 PM

Air canada said they have no work for them to do, as 90% of the flights are cancelled, so that means they will be sitting at home. Not like out of work airline employees are going to repaint the planes or offices.

Matt.

#5209 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 10:14 PM

If they are maxing out the benefit, and I bet they are, we are giving Air Canada about $58,000,000 a month in wage subsidies. Do I have that right?

Matt.

#5210 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:37 AM

Probably more, as the wage subsidy covers all employees of the business, utilised or not.  In addition to the unassigned flight attendant or ticket agent, the company can also claim it for C-suite employees.  There's no requirement that it only be claimed for employees at home.

#5211 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:45 AM

If they are maxing out the benefit, and I bet they are, we are giving Air Canada about $58,000,000 a month in wage subsidies. Do I have that right?

Matt.

As I have said since the beginning with these programs, they have been hastily written and implemented and even aside from fraud and abuse, there are huge loopholes where people can legitimately claim for benefits that they were not intended to receive. 

Really sucks for local businesses that had to shut down or lay off staff seeing large corps getting free money.

Edited by spanky123, 09 April 2020 - 08:51 AM.

#5212 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:52 PM

Probably more, as the wage subsidy covers all employees of the business, utilised or not.  In addition to the unassigned flight attendant or ticket agent, the company can also claim it for C-suite employees.  There's no requirement that it only be claimed for employees at home.

Oh I get that, it’s just half!

Matt.

#5213 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:54 PM

I can’t even get my hydro bill covered, despite the soundbite from last week!

Starting to get annoyed.

Matt.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#5214 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:00 PM

I can’t even get my hydro bill covered, despite the soundbite from last week!

Starting to get annoyed.

Matt.

My understanding is that the BC Hydro COVID-19 Relief Fund has only just opened for residential customers, but will be open for small businesses as of next week.

https://app.bchydro....commercial.html

#5215 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:00 PM

It doesn’t apply to many small businesses, including mine.

Matt.

#5216 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:36 PM

It doesn’t apply to many small businesses, including mine.

Matt.

That sucks, I could see small businesses getting it in order to keep paying their employees and have them do something meaningful, like helping out a food bank, doing some painting and repairs maybe, or make some meals for delivery to hospitals, truck drivers, grocery workers etc. 

I can't see paying huge bucks for having people stay at home.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5217 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:38 PM

That sucks, I could see small businesses getting it in order to keep paying their employees and have them do something meaningful, like helping out a food bank, doing some painting and repairs maybe, or make some meals for delivery to hospitals, truck drivers, grocery workers etc. 
I can't see paying huge bucks for having people stay at home.

I was referring to the hydro rebate.

The wage subsidy hasn’t even passed through parliament yet as far as I know, it’s just smoke and mirrors at this point.

Matt.

#5218 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:53 AM

I was referring to the hydro rebate.

The wage subsidy hasn’t even passed through parliament yet as far as I know, it’s just smoke and mirrors at this point.

Matt.

Another 4-5 weeks for the wage subsidy if it ever really appears. I think that Trudeau is hoping that he can claim "near normal" and then avoid paying anything.

Edited by spanky123, 10 April 2020 - 10:53 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5219 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:59 AM

Parliament is sitting tomorrow to pass the bills required for wage subsidy. 

#5220 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 11:01 AM

Parliament is sitting tomorrow to pass the bills required for wage subsidy. 

They can pass the bill but the details are still being revised every day as they find either groups that have been excluded or ways that people can circumvent the system.

Look at Air Canada as an example, they plan to have all 36,000 employees claiming the benefit. That is $130M a month for them alone. Feds never counted on that.

Edited by spanky123, 10 April 2020 - 11:03 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users