1248 replies to this topic

#1241 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 65,246 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 12:00 PM

Who was the 1 pro vote, do you know?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1242 marks_28

marks_28
  • 372 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 12:18 PM

Who was the 1 pro vote, do you know?

Jacob Helliwell

#1243 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 65,246 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 12:19 PM

Thank you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1244 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,300 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 08:03 PM

Wow that is terrible. This was a great project...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1245 E2V

E2V
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 07:53 AM

That was a strange vote against what appeared to be a solid project of a size that fits right in with the moderate buildings around it. I’ll be interested to see the video and minutes of the meeting to hear from the naysayers. Council has been pretty good with development proposals. I hope they’re not losing their nerve.

#1246 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 65,246 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 06:54 AM

It sounds like council was not comfortable turning a single-family-zoned property into a fully maximized 12-unit project. The massing was the biggest hold-up, it sounds like.

Know it all.

#1247 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 25,479 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 07:09 AM

21,000 square-feet in 4 buildings: Big retail proposal for Langford’s Happy Valley

Development would sit on Happy Valley and Latoria roads near the Metchosin-Langford border

https://www.vicnews....s-happy-valley/

#1248 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 25,479 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 05:20 AM

A Calgary company has bought 14 single-family houses in the heart of Esquimalt, where it proposes to replace the older homes with two five-storey rental buildings.

Plans call for a total of 213 units rented at market rates at the Marin. The existing public art walkway in neighbouring Esquimalt Town Square would extend into the development, running between Carlisle Avenue and Lyall Street.

https://www.timescol...malt-1.24357236

• Kapten Kapsell and Nparker like this

#1249 Lapis Homes

Lapis Homes
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 01:31 PM

It sounds like council was not comfortable turning a single-family-zoned property into a fully maximized 12-unit project. The massing was the biggest hold-up, it sounds like.

A little late but, yes, that seemed to be part of it, at least from my (the developer's) perspective. They also had concerns over the shade the building would cast on the neighbouring properties and about the amount of hardscape with the coffee shop on the front.

I'll likely propose something else for the property, but it'll have to be a much smaller building (three storeys), with no real family units, no elevator and no commercial space as the numbers barely worked for me in the building I had proposed. Smaller projects on in-fill sites are super challenging to make financial sense, particularly in a location like this (busy street, and next to older apartments). 

The alternative is buying up the neighbouring single families and duplex and proposing six storeys with underground parking (you'd need six storeys to make the $4-$5 million+ land costs and underground parking work). But man, I'd never do that in this location with the message council just sent to me. Although, I'd be happy to chat with another experienced developer if they feel like that's an option here.

I'm pretty disappointed about the loss of the potential family units in my proposed building. Probably a discussion for another message board, but I haven't seen developers propose a substantial percentage of family housing in condos. It's something we need to shift to if we're going to reduce our limited land issues. 

• Nparker, Mattjvd and JohnsonStBridge like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)