Photo

Royal British Columbia Museum (Royal B.C. Museum)

• Please log in to reply
1461 replies to this topic

#641 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 05:05 AM

TC staff editorial:

No one could disagree with advancing reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples. But at the cost of erasing an important element in our history and burying the role that colonists played in building the province?

This need not be an either/or proposition. Both aspects of our enduring past can and should be accommodated.

And for the sake of tweaking the minister, if moving toward a low-carbon economy is really a key museum priority, why remove the Capt. Vancouver exhibit? He didn’t come by coal or diesel power, he came in that most clean-energy vessel, a wind-powered sailing ship.

It’s clear what has happened here. A minister with no prior experience in arts or culture simply swallowed whole a slate of priorities scripted for an election campaign, and imposed them willy-nilly on a captive board.

The government has gamely defended these changes by noting that extensive consultations were held beforehand. While there were indeed consultations, it must be noted that the vast majority of contributors were groups firmly aligned with the government’s thinking.

This was not so much an open consultation as a gathering of like-minded supporters.

Nevertheless, if the province is serious about letting the population as a whole have a say, the opportunity remains. Put the project on ice, hold a referendum and accept whatever emerges.

By all means ensure that in following this course the voices of Indigenous Peoples, who are necessarily a minority, should not be drowned out. There is room here for compromise.

But sadly, as it stands, compromise is the last thing the ministry and the board are interested in.

That a province with such a rich and varied history should set about erasing huge chunks of the past is factionalism at its most destructive.

https://www.timescol...-happen-4908741

#642 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 12:04 PM

Why are they building a new museum in Colwood if they are destroying much of their exhibit?

#643 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 12:12 PM

Need to have some place to put the trash.

#644 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 12:37 PM

It’s not a museum. It’s a research and storage building as well as the new home of the provincial archive. The exhibit space will remain downtown.

Why are they building a new museum in Colwood if they are destroying much of their exhibit?

#645 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 09:39 AM

Social media post I found explaining the 3rd floor closure. Not a public announcement that should have been made, but lots of reasoning behind it.

“The RBCM closed the galleries following a provincial order given in concert by 4 separate ministries (culture and tourism, finance, infrastructure, I forget the 4th), the timing and scope of which took the museum and its board by surprise. The order basically signalled that the collections are imperiled at the current location, which needs extensive seismic and climate upgrading. The entire collection has to be moved to do this and the exhibits will have to be dismantled, especially as there is a lot of asbestos used in the building material. This will take a lot of time because of the fragility of some items, the value of others (for example insurance will only cover the transport of one Emily Carr painting at a time because of the priceless value), and the sheer volume of artifacts. At the same time, the time has finally come (100 years overdue) to do the job of repatriation of indigenous artifacts, some of which have complex provenance, some of which are part of the priceless and fragile categories, and some of which are nearly impossible to move. For reasons I still don't understand these ministries have effectively abandoned the RBCM board to take the heat for the decision and have not provided communications support. The communications team at RBCM flubbed the initial announcement by focusing only on decolonization when there is so much more also happening. The engagement will happen while all of this other stuff is happening in the background and while the museum would have preferred to have had engagement done and have a plan in place before the closure, the provincial government didn't allow this extended timeline, in part because the building has been identified as being at significant seismic risk and risk to climate change stresses like heat domes and excessive rainfall that could catastrophically damage the connections. The engagement will roll out soon (likely February). The museum welcomes as much feedback as possible and is reading and cataloging all of it. I learned this on Thursday when the head of communications called me in response to a letter I wrote in December.”

Edited by Klapecki, 23 January 2022 - 09:40 AM.

• newbie_01 likes this

#646 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 10:50 AM

^ So the 3rd floor is at imminent risk of seismic failure but the rest of the building isn't?!

• Nparker, phx, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#647 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 11:38 AM

They have to start somewhere right?

#648 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 04:37 PM

^ So the 3rd floor is at imminent risk of seismic failure but the rest of the building isn't?!

Seems to be the standard excuse around here for removing tourist attractions.
  • Vin likes this

#649 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 01:53 AM

https://news.gov.bc....is-long-overdue

Looks like they might be tearing down the old building. I hope they keep some of the mid century architecture, or at least the bro tower.

#650 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:31 AM

^ Makes sense. The BS about decolonization didn't work so now they are working a new angle. I would imagine it would have to be quite the flood to ruin artifacts on the 3rd floor however. I am also surprised that they are doing asbestos removal without sealing off the gallery.

• Nparker and DavidSchell like this

#651 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:26 AM

That’s why after decades of neglect, our government made a commitment in both the 2019 and 2020 speech from the throne to protect our collective heritage and give the museum the respect it deserves.

A decade ago there was a plan to redevelop the entire campus. I wouldn't call the museum situation neglect.

The Parliament Buildings are not going to withstand an earthquake. Is their situation neglect?

• spanky123 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#652 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 10:14 AM

Neither is our bridge I’m told… 😉

#653 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 11:15 AM

A commentary by a journalist, writer, University of Victoria graduate and member of the Haida Nation.

Comment: Why wasn't the Royal B.C. Museum honest from the start?

The whole process of “decolonizing” the third floor has been a divisive affair that made few people happy, and a whole lot more very unhappy. Standard safety upgrades absolutely do not need to have a political spin put on them.

Who were the people Mark and the B.C. government trying to impress with their grand announcement about all the decolonization and equity that would spring up once Becoming B.C. was knocked down?

Then again, who knows if asbestos is actually the true reason behind the changes. It could very well just be damage control.

It isn’t as if the people in charge have given the public reason to trust them at this point.

Perhaps the NDP will start to realize that being bat$#I@ woke might not be such a good idea after all.

https://www.timescol...e-start-5009792

• Nparker likes this

#654 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 11:16 AM

Perhaps the NDP will start to realize that being bat$#I@ woke might not be such a good idea after all...

They will only care if it costs them the next election.

#655 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 03:39 PM

I see the museum has now made a “diversity hire” for CEO.

Instead of hiring on merit.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 February 2022 - 03:40 PM.

#656 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 04:01 PM

Obviously nobody does background checks anymore. Took 30 seconds on google to find this from HER LAST JOB!

Turmoil at the AIOC as CEO steps down, director involved in sexual harassment lawsuit - The Progress Report

38. Letitia was denied promotions because she resisted sexual advancements by the CEO and Former Director of IOGC.

Edited by spanky123, 09 February 2022 - 04:18 PM.

#657 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 04:08 PM

It’s like they hired Joe Rogan.

#658 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 04:15 PM

Turning the museum into the next Langham Court.  How long until the doors are shut?

#659 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 04:40 PM

I guess you didn’t bother to read the article. Has nothing to do with her.

Obviously nobody does background checks anymore. Took 30 seconds on google to find this from HER LAST JOB!

Turmoil at the AIOC as CEO steps down, director involved in sexual harassment lawsuit - The Progress Report

38. Letitia was denied promotions because she resisted sexual advancements by the CEO and Former Director of IOGC.

#660 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 04:42 PM

^ why did she quit then?

She’s been hired solely based on her heritage/bloodline. Period. Very shameful. Especially since she was raised in a mostly white/European household.

What a time we live in.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 February 2022 - 04:48 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users