Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#1381 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:17 PM

I would be happier with a plastic bag ban if it first was applied to manufacturers and not the public.  Ban bread or rice in plastic bags before restricting the public use of the bags.

bread just doesn't stay as fresh when it's in paper vrs in plastic.. many things are sealed in plastic to help keep it fresher longer

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#1382 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:37 PM

Again banning the plastic bag is NOT the answer. Education on recycling the bags is the answer. 

I would go as far as supporting the  making of by-laws that prohibit using store plastic shopping bags as garbage bags and by-laws that enforce that people Must recycle the bags after they are done using them (which could be a while cause you can keep taking them back to the store until they are worn out and full of holes) 

If you want a plastic garbage bag, then go buy a box of them at Walmart for  3 or 4 dollars.. I get a box of a hundred proper plastic garbage bags at Walmart for around $4 buck that are designed for that sole purpose. That lasts me about 8 months.

As I have said their really is almost no such thing as a single use plastic bag. The Only plastic bags that would be single use are ones used to collect body fluids, medical waste, and pet waste.  Imagine if everyone simply Recycled their plastic bags. It's such a simple thing to do. 

Plastic bags have been recyclable and or compostable for at least the last 20 years, if not longer. This includes the ones you get in the produce isle to put your veggies in. The bags have also always been marked with a recycling logo.

There are several technologies that are in place to recycle plastic bags that have been around for a long, long time.   Recycling education is the answer to the plastic bag problem. 

#1383 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:40 PM

Using a store t-shirt bag as a garbage bag IS recycling it...

• Mike K., Nparker, sebberry and 2 others like this

#1384 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:50 PM

Using a store t-shirt bag as a garbage bag IS recycling it...

Yes, but the problem is not the reusing of the plastic bag (that's easy) , the issue is the bag going into the garbage after it is worn out instead of being recycled and turned into a new bag or a new product that is made from discarded plastic bags. Reusing a plastic bag is only ONE step in the process. Taking it to a recycling facility or back to the grocery store when you are done with it (who then sends it to a recycling facility) is  the thing that hardly anyone does. It is the answer to our plastic bag issue.

If everyone did this, the bags would be in a perpetual cycle of re-use and re-purposing, instead of ending up in landfills and oceans. It would result in an automatic decrease in the amount of plastic bags in our landfills and oceans.  Would this get rid of all plastic bags? Of course not, but it would significantly reduce that number that is going into the landfills and oceans.

A BAN is not the answer. Recycling Education is the answer.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 04 December 2018 - 02:52 PM.

• Bernard, Matt R. and Midnightly like this

#1385 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

A BAN is not the answer. Recycling Education is the answer.

are reusable bags recyclable? many are made out of polyester (aka plastic) fibers and seams tend to split and store employees over fill them and cause them to tear (i've lost a few bags this way and they just end up in the landfill)

#1386 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:01 AM

are reusable bags recyclable? many are made out of polyester (aka plastic) fibers and seams tend to split and store employees over fill them and cause them to tear (i've lost a few bags this way and they just end up in the landfill)

Interesting, so these "Cloth" bags that have been pushed into society to replace the plastic bag are actually made of a synthetic plastic product?  I wonder how many people out there were aware of this? 

I didn't think they were made of actual plant based textile material, as they are produced in such a mass volume, and never gave it much thought. I guess that's the idea though right. Nobody was supposed to be wondering what these reusable so called "Cloth" bags are actually made from.

#1387 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:47 AM

Interesting, so these "Cloth" bags that have been pushed into society to replace the plastic bag are actually made of a synthetic plastic product?  I wonder how many people out there were aware of this? 

I didn't think they were made of actual plant based textile material, as they are produced in such a mass volume, and never gave it much thought. I guess that's the idea though right. Nobody was supposed to be wondering what these reusable so called "Cloth" bags are actually made from.

you can get bags made of cotton, or bamboo or other natural materials (these bags usually cost a premium)  most i have come across are some sort of polyester, nylon or plastic materials, heck ikea bags are made of a tarp style material.. and as far as i know these are not recyclable what so ever, so once a seam splits, or a handle rips off, in the trash they go

i remember reading many reports saying that reusable bags are worse for the environment then plastic or even paper bags simply due the energy it takes to make and ship them and ofcourse the eventual throwing in the garbage

#1388 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:43 AM

i remember reading many reports saying that reusable bags are worse for the environment then plastic or even paper bags simply due the energy it takes to make and ship them and ofcourse the eventual throwing in the garbage

https://www.gov.uk/g...ailable-in-2006

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1389 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:17 AM

Although this is a UK Study and not a Canadian one it is interesting to see that 7 of the kinds of reusable cloth styled bags that are used are non-compostable, and only two are compostable. 4 can be mechanically recycled, and all of them more then often go tot he landfill or are incenerated by fire (which is no better for the environment right) 

Composting being the least option as the study was left out of the actual system boundaries  The irony in the study is that the cotton carrier bag has 10 times more global warming potential then all of the other kinds of reusable bags.

To sum it up, the reusable bag is just as draining on the environment as the non-recycled plastic bag is, when you take into consideration the processes used to produce them and the processes used at the end of their lives.

Study Result= Resuable bags that are marketed to us are a SHAM. They have fooled people into thinking they are better, when they are not.

• Nparker likes this

#1390 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:29 AM

...They have fooled people into thinking they are better, when they are not.

The people who make the decisions have been fooled (at least publicly). I am not sure it necessarily has fooled the end-user; not this end-user in any case.

#1391 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:06 AM

Study Result= Resuable bags that are marketed to us are a SHAM. They have fooled people into thinking they are better, when they are not.

In fairness the CoV study reported that both paper bags and reusable bags were more harmful to the environment then plastic bags. That was the rationale for placing the mandatory fees on bags to try and discourage their use. 

These decisions aren't about logic they are about power. Forcing you to change your behaviour on smaller items makes it easier for them to force change on the bigger ones.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#1392 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:14 AM

In fairness the CoV study reported that both paper bags and reusable bags were more harmful to the environment then plastic bags. That was the rationale for placing the mandatory fees on bags to try and discourage their use. 

These decisions aren't about logic they are about power. Forcing you to change your behaviour on smaller items makes it easier for them to force change on the bigger ones.

That's wrong to do that.

It's a watered down version of Political Correctness which takes things a step further by forcing one to change not only their behaviours, but how they think, and what they should think.

#1393 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:08 PM

It's a watered down version of Political Correctness which takes things a step further by forcing one to change not only their behaviours, but how they think, and what they should think.

"Political correctness" doesn't mean what you think it means.

#1394 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:19 PM

po·lit·i·cal cor·rect·ness

noun

the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1395 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:43 PM

I think people are tired of being talked down to by politicians.
Far to much of this I know what’s good for you b.s.and you’ll do it my way .
It’s not really about plastic bags it’s the additude around the issue.Treating tax paying adults like kids in a daycare lacks respect. I agree it’s all about power ,power and control.
  • Nparker, mbjj, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#1396 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:45 PM

po·lit·i·cal cor·rect·ness

noun

the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

Or this...............

#1397 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:20 PM

Yeah, sorry ... but it's got nothing to do with plastic bags or mind control.

A ridiculous by-law has nothing to do with "socially disadvantaged" people ... it's just a ridiculous by-law.

The dumbing down of VV serves nobody, and yet continues.

Here's the source of the "graphic" above:

https://mediabiasfac...es-for-america/

Nothing more than idiotic, hard-right nutbar factory stuff.

• shoeflack likes this

#1398 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:59 PM

Someone who was acting in a fair and balanced way would take the position that consumers vote with their wallets and that businesses who acted in a way that consumers disagreed with would be punished at the till. We don’t need to be trying to regulate every aspect of our daily lives. Give small business more credit.

Edited by spanky123, 05 December 2018 - 02:11 PM.

• Nparker, Love the rock and Cassidy like this

#1399 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:42 PM

Yeah... sorry you can't argue a literal definition against a politically motivated one.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1400 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:10 PM

I put out my food donations in a plastic shopping bag that I drove to a different municipality to get, lol. I hated to part with it as they're so useful.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users