Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#1441 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:12 PM

https://www.amazon.c...rds=tshirt bags

I don’t feel bad I just don’t throw it in the ocean.

Edited by todd, 06 February 2019 - 04:15 PM.

#1442 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:15 PM

So I'm waiting for the #6 bus yesterday downtown after 5pm, which is hellish at the best of times. The bus comes 20 minutes late, but that’s sort of beside the point.

So I’m waiting, and buddy comes up with two paper bags of groceries. He’s holding his bags, when one of them bursts and two chicken carcasses fall onto the sidewalk. The chicken carcasses had not been wrapped in extra plastic and leaked raw dead chicken juice in the paper bag, which soaked through the bag and caused a critical structural failure. The chicken juice compromised the structural integrity of the paper bag because – duh – paper does not perform well when saturated with moisture.

So now this guy is holding basically two biohazard chicken carcasses in his arms with chicken goo running down his hands and onto the sidewalk. It’s all over his arm, and pants and shoes. Really gross. He barges onto the bus, and I’m like no way am I standing next to raw chicken juice buddy on this crammed POS #6 bus. So I had to wait another 10 minutes.

This plastic bag ban is dumb, caused an unhealthy situation and made me miss my bus.

I feel bad for that guy.  He's stuck with what he's been allowed to carry his groceries home in, and it all went horribly wrong.  Embarrassing, costly, messy.  

Pathetic.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1443 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:18 PM

...Embarrassing, costly, messy.  Pathetic.

For a moment I thought you were describing the CoV council.

#1444 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:28 PM

For a moment I thought you were describing the CoV council.

They do some good things?

Edited by todd, 06 February 2019 - 05:36 PM.

#1445 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:41 PM

A transit driver doing a pre-trip inspection of their bus has just radioed dispatch to report a paper bag with wet pants in it was left on the bus.  The unknown liquid has leaked through the bag onto the floor.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1446 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:45 PM

A transit driver doing a pre-trip inspection of their bus has just radioed dispatch to report a paper bag with wet pants in it was left on the bus.  The unknown liquid has leaked through the bag onto the floor.

It’s not raining.

#1447 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:53 PM

They calling in hazmat or whipping it up with the bus schedule?

#1448 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:33 PM

Was in Canadian Tire @ Hillside today.  I went in there intending to buy one tiny little item, a new plug for a lamp cord.  My mental shopping list of things I should get wen crazy as I walked towards the cashier and I almost grabbed a basket to fill with goods. Then I realized - no bags.  

Added the items I needed to my Amazon shopping cart instead.  

• todd likes this

#1449 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:52 PM

Was in Canadian Tire @ Hillside today.  I went in there intending to buy one tiny little item, a new plug for a lamp cord.  My mental shopping list of things I should get wen crazy as I walked towards the cashier and I almost grabbed a basket to fill with goods. Then I realized - no bags.  

they probably could have sold you a paper bag, with no handles which would rip on you for 15c each

#1450 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:07 AM

they probably could have sold you a paper bag, with no handles which would rip on you for 15c each

Probably, but this is *far* from the first time I've bought less in a store thanks to the bag ban.

• todd likes this

#1451 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:21 AM

Probably, but this is *far* from the first time I've bought less in a store thanks to the bag ban.

Since the bag ban I make a deliberate effort to shop outside of the CoV.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1452 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:11 AM

I don’t think economics is really their concern. They’re more concerned with a stunt that will shock but not make any real difference at the end of the day.

#1453 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:16 AM

Since the bag ban I make a deliberate effort to shop outside of the CoV.

I find myself purchasing a lot more plastic bags for trash and whatnot.

Edited by todd, 24 March 2019 - 11:30 AM.

• mbjj likes this

#1454 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:40 PM

I find myself purchasing a lot more plastic bags for trash and whatnot.

Me too. Previously my "single use" plastic bags were used for garbage. Now I have to purchase plastic bags whose one and only use is to dispose of garbage. Net environmental gain = zero.

• todd and mbjj like this

#1455 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:45 PM

i just triple-bag all my produce and bulk food now as well as bagging all my fresh meat packages when i have to shop in victoria.  thinner bags but i can double-bag them when used for garbage. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 March 2019 - 01:46 PM.

#1456 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 02:45 PM

Me too. Previously my "single use" plastic bags were used for garbage. Now I have to purchase plastic bags whose one and only use is to dispose of garbage. Net environmental gain = zero.

Actually it may be in the negative I now have to purchase “reusable” bags.

#1457 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 02:46 PM

Also some grocery stores have the large clear bags for veg. that have handles. I use those for spuds and bulky items. Very handy for things I previously used a single-use grocery bag for!

• todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#1458 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:54 PM

Was in Canadian Tire @ Hillside today. I went in there intending to buy one tiny little item, a new plug for a lamp cord. My mental shopping list of things I should get wen crazy as I walked towards the cashier and I almost grabbed a basket to fill with goods. Then I realized - no bags.

* Bezos is all good and fine, but shouldn't you be telling this to Canadian Tire management so they can go give City Hall a good thrashing?

Edited by admin.
  • todd likes this

#1459 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 March 2019 - 05:06 PM

* Bezos

Really? :whyme:

Quote edited by admin.
  • jjmac likes this

#1460 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 05:14 PM

Just a reminder that we have folks of all ages on this forum. There’s no need for that, Dust.
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users