Photo

Plastic bag bans/regulation/charges

• Please log in to reply
2049 replies to this topic

#1841 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:47 AM

I suppose it depends on how many empty spaces are found in the innocent shopper's egg carton.

• aastra likes this

#1842 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:57 AM

but he kept the receipt indicating only one carton purchase. and he still has a full dozen. ah but you think he might have bought two cartons in separate transactions. one for home breakfast use and one for egging on the way home.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 August 2019 - 09:58 AM.

#1843 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:06 AM

Exactly! A professional egger would carry a full carton. An amateur would be caught with a few eggs unaccounted for.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1844 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:24 AM

One of the eggs hatched.  The heat from my hand somehow must have incubated it long enough to convince it to live again.   :)

If a bag was an option, I probably would have bought a few other things too.  Now, I'll be driving back today for the rest of my groceries.

• todd likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1845 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:25 AM

Now, I'll be driving back today for the rest of my groceries.

Don't forget your bags :)

#1846 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

Don't forget your bags :)

I have a stash of plastic pellets I'll flush every time I'm forced to buy a bag.

• Nparker, todd and Midnightly like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1847 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:08 PM

I have a stash of plastic pellets I'll flush every time I'm forced to buy a bag.

Basically the same thing but I send it to the mayors office.

#1848 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:17 AM

I know I've joked about (and even did once) bringing lunch to work in a Glad kitchen garbage bag, but I was in the line-up at Save On Foods last night buying some ice cream and the guy in front of me buying lettuce and a couple other things brought his own bag - Honest to god - it was a white Glad kitchen garbage bag.  That's what he used to carry his groceries home in.  

• Nparker, lanforod and Love the rock like this

#1849 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:29 AM

Her Highness will be in Vancouver today to hold a press release and what she has decided to do about losing the plastic bag court case. Any guesses! She has been quoted as saying that 97% of local businesses are voluntarily complying with the ban so why are we going to spend more money on legal challenges?

Update on City of Victoria Checkout Bag Bylaw

Date: Tuesday, September 24, 2019
For Immediate Release

VICTORIA, BC — Mayor Lisa Helps will be joined by Tofino Mayor Josie Osborne and Squamish Mayor Karen Elliott to provide an update on the City of Victoria’s Checkout Bag Regulation Bylaw. There will be an opportunity for questions following the update.

Location: Vancouver Convention Centre, 999 Canada Place (at the foot of Howe Street), inside the entrance near the Information Desk.

Time: Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 12:15 p.m.

Dial-in Details

Toll-free: 1-855-453-6958

Local: 1-604-678-6074

Conference ID: 8573900

#1850 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:53 AM

The other day I saw plastic bags being dispersed at a Fairfield business. Nobody made a fuss or cared, they took their bags and walked away.

Meanwhile last weekend on the mainland this happened:

straw.jpg

It's like 10 feet long! You didn't have a choice, either. The straw was put in as a protest. Note the little black paper straw that you would actually drink out of.

• Nparker, rjag and todd like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1851 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:24 AM

Supreme Court, here we come!

tweet.jpg

#1852 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:27 AM

Can't fund the police, but we can spend money on fighting for the right to ban plastic bags.

• snub, GaryRanson, shoeflack and 1 other like this

#1853 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:02 PM

Can't fund the police, but we can spend money on fighting for the right to ban plastic bags.

In my opinion this is really nothing more than a face saving effort by the Mayor. Clearly she is willing to spend even more taxpayer time and money on chasing this rabbit even though both the Feds and the Province have said that they are working on regulations that would no doubt supercede anything she comes up with.

Money is easy to spend when it is not yours and the payoff is broader exposure to you potential future employers.

• Nparker, rjag, GaryRanson and 3 others like this

#1854 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:08 PM

What a stupid waste of our taxpayer dollars. Seems to me most people are bringing their own bags anyways.

• GaryRanson and Love the rock like this

#1855 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:13 PM

The other day I saw plastic bags being dispersed at a Fairfield business. Nobody made a fuss or cared, they took their bags and walked away.

Meanwhile last weekend on the mainland this happened:

straw.jpg

It's like 10 feet long! You didn't have a choice, either. The straw was put in as a protest. Note the little black paper straw that you would actually drink out of.

What type of drink?

#1856 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:30 PM

In my opinion this is really nothing more than a face saving effort by the Mayor. Clearly she is willing to spend even more taxpayer time and money on chasing this rabbit even though both the Feds and the Province have said that they are working on regulations that would no doubt supercede anything she comes up with.

Money is easy to spend when it is not yours and the payoff is broader exposure to you potential future employers.

I bet your correct here. After her taxpayer funded trip to the UN she had to show them that she's totally willing to continue to waste taxpayer money....that will help her job application for the UN

• Nparker and GaryRanson like this

#1857 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:02 PM

...Money is easy to spend when it is not yours and the payoff is broader exposure to you potential future employers.

...After her taxpayer funded trip to the UN she had to show them that she's totally willing to continue to waste taxpayer money....that will help her job application for the UN

Enticing her future employer is her only motivation at this point.

• rmpeers likes this

#1858 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:59 PM

COV taxpayers are quite the spendthrifts, with a trip to the supreme court costing in the vicinity of a $1,000,000.

• GaryRanson likes this

#1859 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:20 PM

The contempt for the taxpayers is staggering. And the like-a-sailor-on-shore-leave fiscal approach seems to worsen and worsen... hopefully she will get whatever job she's auditioning for soon.
  • Nparker, rjag and GaryRanson like this

#1860 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:07 AM

Helps says the legal costs will be covered by in-house counsel/already retained counsel and won’t cost the taxpayer more.

I’m not certain it’ll work that way.

It would appear as though Helps wants to etch a name for her efforts on the national scale. We don’t need to die on this hill. There are other battles for City of Victoria taxpayers to fund.
  • GaryRanson likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users