The Victoria beer thread

• Please log in to reply
890 replies to this topic

#821 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 06:37 AM

Sooke Oceanside Brewery to close its current location; relocate to 5700-block of Sooke Road

Sooke Oceanside Brewery is closing its brewery and tasting room on Sooke Road at Laidlaw Road adjacent to the Esso gas station, and relocating to the 5700-block of Sooke Road next to a surf and bicycle shop.

The current brewery will close this Sunday after five years at its location.

“We are extremely excited for our new location,” says operator Ryan Orr. “We will have 14 taps featuring our award winning beers as well as some non-beer options.”

The new brewery space at 5781 Sooke Road will also feature a larger tasting room/lounge and views of the Sooke Basin. Eventually, Orr says, food options from the brewery will be available but until then food trucks will operate alongside the lounge. The crew is working to open the new space “ASAP,” although no opening date has been published yet.

• JohnsonStBridge likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#822 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:20 AM

Upcoming Events

Rock Bay Jamboree – CANCELLED
September 17th-18th

Given the recent health announcements we have made the decision to postpone the inaugural Rock Bay Jamboree. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to creating positive and safe events very soon!

Lager than Life 
October 8th – Tickets to be released soon! Follow us on Instagram for more updates.

Fresh to Death
October 9th – Tickets to be released soon! Follow up on Instagram for more updates.

https://victoriabeer...oming-events-2/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 September 2021 - 10:20 AM.

• todd likes this

#823 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 12:28 PM

first look at the hudson's beer lineup https://www.facebook...udsonbrewhouse/

if the capacity is 300+ & they hope to pack it out on a regular basis i wouldn't expect anything too weird from this place. the strawberry blonde seems to be inspired by fuggles & warlock's strawberry wit which does really well for them. the other two also look very accessible. on the other hand if these first beers go over well that could enable them to do more nerdy stuff for the ~10 guests who would try a taster of it. i just can't picture 300+ guests going for something dumb like an experimental bacon-doughnut beer though, or even something not dumb like a chipotle rauchbier, however good it might be.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 05 November 2021 - 12:30 PM.

#824 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 01:43 PM

Millstream Beverage Co. is now open, at the old Axe and Barrel/Blackhops (V2V) site in Langford (2323 Millstream). I hope they make a go of it, demographically there should be more than enough room for a brewpub in the area. However, I understand they are selling the remaining beer from the last brewers (albeit at a low price) so I'm gonna wait until their own brews are available before visiting and passing judgement :)

• Mike K. likes this

#825 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 05:39 AM

Would this be the fourth incarnation of a business there?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#826 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 05:29 AM

Driftwood Brewery moves operations to Esquimalt, opens tasting lounge, distillery

By: Darron Kloster

drift.png
"We're hearing from people that Esquimalt really needs a place like this for locals, especially since the closure of Gorge Point Pub," says Driftwood Brewery's Gary Lindsay.

Driftwood Brewery is under one roof in Esquimalt. Finally.

The craft brewer had been splitting its brewing and bottling operations on either side of the Bay Street bridge for more than four years.

This month, Driftwood is not only producing and ­packaging its popular beers in a 59,000-square-foot space at 836 Viewfield Road, but ­adding a new retail outlet, a 60-seat patio and 60-seat tasting lounge, commercial kitchen and spirits distillery.

#827 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 05:31 AM

Some of these tasting rooms have all the atmosphere of a hospital cafeteria. 

#828 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 07:53 AM

they're not pubs, they're tasting rooms

#829 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:02 AM

There are only a few local tasting rooms. Which specifically would you describe as a cafeteria?

Some of these tasting rooms have all the atmosphere of a hospital cafeteria.

#830 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:14 AM

Phillips is probably the gold standard in town.

Sooke is the most west coasty.

Know it all.

#831 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:24 AM

Superflux Cabana opens this weekend

https://www.cheknews...2p1xmR778fc7OIw

#832 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:32 AM

Driftwood makes some of the finest beer on the Island. (Fat Tug for example!).

I'm glad they're seeing enough success to support this large expansion.

It's also a fantastic food and beverage boost for the Township of Esquimalt, a muni that's definitely on a major upswing in every way.

It's these kinds of shifts that (piece by piece) slowly steal the thunder from the COV, moving it elsewhere in the CRD.

#833 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 01:41 PM

Highly recommend their New Growth pale ale,

• qv likes this

#834 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 November 2021 - 01:06 AM

they're not pubs, they're tasting rooms

Charis? Tables? Beer?  People to chat with?

Sounds pub-like enough for me. :)

#835 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 February 2022 - 10:10 AM

Mile-Zero-micro-brewery-and-tasting-lounge-planned-for-Happy-Valley-Road-near-My-Chosen-Cafe.jpg

A micro-brewery has been proposed for the District of Metchosin on Victoria's West Shore. Applicants behind Mile Zero Micro-brewery are seeking permission to operate out of the former Metchosin Elementary School grounds at 4495 Happy Valley Road near Metchosin's popular My-Chosen Cafe. The micro-brewery space is seen at left. Council is holding a public hearing for the application on February 28th.

Mile Zero micro-brewery and tasting lounge planned for Happy Valley Road near My-Chosen Cafe

https://victoria.cit...my-chosen-cafe/

• todd likes this
Know it all.

#836 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 02:11 PM

https://www.cheknews...ictoria-992875/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 March 2022 - 02:12 PM.

#837 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 08:11 PM

I walked down Swift St about 2 weeks ago and saw a huge pile of rubble where the Canoe patio used to be. I'm no judge of these things, but it looks like there's a LOT of work left to do.

Quote: "The company hopes to reopen in late winter 2021, or early spring 2022."

#838 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 12:49 PM

Great Canadian Beer Week back on tap for Victoria park

Members-only tickets on sale in June for September event

https://www.vicnews....-victoria-park/

Organizers expect 100 craft breweries to draw more than 8,000 visitors over the two days and plan to provide a dozen or so food trucks.

Breweries plan to sling 1,000,000 litres of beer from every region of Canada – from Greater Victoria to the Yukon and Maritimes.

Each guest is going to drink on average 125 litres of beer each. Impressive. Even in college I rarely hit that number, even on long weekends.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 May 2022 - 12:57 PM.

#839 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 09:03 PM

Sooke Brewing Company has been awarded gold for its barleywine, and bronze for its Belgian Blond beer at tonight’s Canadian Brewing Awards in Calgary.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#840 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 12:57 PM

New beer festival on tap this summer in Langford

Langford Beer Festival to feature up to 100 B.C. craft brews

https://www.vicnews....er-in-langford/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2022 - 12:58 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users