• 53,053 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

ryan price is filling the show for now.

#1322 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 05:46 PM

"Local" radio is essentially a relic of the past; increasing corporate concentration - Bell Media, Corus, iHeart (based in NYC but which is affiliated with Bell in Canada) really means programming in this country at least is dictated by and originates out of Toronto. Corus for example has essentially killed Vancouver talk radio as a result of round after round of layoffs and cutbacks over the years. Generally the higher profile the personality - and naturally the bigger the paycheck - the greater the likelihood you have a bulls eye on your back. Had the opportunity years ago to get into the biz, very glad I passed.

#1323 broadcastingstudent

broadcastingstudent
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:33 PM

Reached out to the station asking if there's a possibility of purchasing CD soundtrack with old jingles/sounds many of which were played during 60th Anniversary. Program director tells me and I quote: "We're working on getting the audio posted to our website. Please check for it in the coming days". This was from back in September and when I further inquired again he tells me pretty much told me the same thing again "As previously mentioned we're working on getting audio from the anniversary broadcast on our website" last time heard anything from him early October. To this date nothing has been posted to the website, thus he lied and played games for no reason at all. Real classy and professional. He never also bothered to answer what originally I had asked about purchasing a soundtrack.

Tried asking around with others formerly/currently at the station all telling me to reach out to Alan Perry, who acted like he was gonna help me but passes me off to Al Ferraby who is a major jerk and blew me right off with bad arrogant attitude. To be quite honest Alan Perry is strange little dude.

C-FAX has become a real clown station since Bell took over with corporate "yes" men and bean counter types.

Thanks CFAX really appreciate your lack of class and professionalism in helping out aspiring broadcasting student furthering my studies.

Edited by broadcastingstudent, 20 November 2019 - 06:35 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#1324 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,053 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:38 PM

maybe they are busy.

• Benezet likes this

#1325 broadcastingstudent

broadcastingstudent
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:38 PM

maybe they are busy.

They found time to lie and give me the run around.

Edited by broadcastingstudent, 20 November 2019 - 06:39 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#1326 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:41 PM

Al Ferraby who is a major jerk and blew me right off with bad arrogant attitude. To be quite honest Alan Perry is strange little dude.

C-FAX has become a real clown station since Bell took over with corporate "yes" men and bean counter types.

Thanks CFAX really appreciate your lack of class and professionalism

well your attitude towards hard-working people is not really a "friend-winning" one.

• Rob Randall likes this

#1327 broadcastingstudent

broadcastingstudent
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:02 PM

well your attitude towards hard-working people is not really a "friend-winning" one.

I was more then friendly and respectful in correspondence to them but it wasn't shown back to me. A fairly simple question. I don't understand why Program Director felt the need to tell such lies and play games.

#1328 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:14 PM

Maybe you're just looking at the wrong part of the website, like when you missed the fact that there's already a CFAX thread.

• AllseeingEye, vortoozo and Victoria Watcher like this

#1329 broadcastingstudent

broadcastingstudent
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:21 PM

Maybe you're just looking at the wrong part of the website, like when you missed the fact that there's already a CFAX thread.

Tell me where exactly there's recent audio posted from 60th Anniversary broadcast:

https://www.iheartra...cfax-1070/audio

CFAX thread with pages upon pages old posts which some don't feel like going through.

Nice to see this forum is so welcoming with trolls.

• Matt R. likes this

#1330 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:26 PM

I'll be honest with you, kid. Posting those clips is something they've been wanting to do for a while now but it's like priority number 57. They're trying to be polite and optimistic by saying "soon" rather than "who the hell knows". 

I am certain your bright and cheerful missives are just the inspiration they need to speed the task along.

• http, lanforod, Daveyboy and 1 other like this

#1331 broadcastingstudent

broadcastingstudent
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:42 PM

I'll be honest with you, kid. Posting those clips is something they've been wanting to do for a while now but it's like priority number 57. They're trying to be polite and optimistic by saying "soon" rather than "who the hell knows". 

I am certain your bright and cheerful missives are just the inspiration they need to speed the task along.

Fair enough but then why tell me "Please check for it in the coming days"

#1332 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:41 PM

It’s a polite way of saying they don’t know when they will get it done, and that they can’t (or won’t) notify you when it is done.

Put yourself in their shoes, okay? They’re just trying to hold things together through difficult times for broadcast media. A hundred people in Canadian media got laid off this week.

Edited by Benezet, 20 November 2019 - 11:02 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#1333 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:16 AM

For all we know their tech guy has moved on to another role, or to another organization. The media business is very fluid these days and the operations are run with all hands on deck, meaning nobody is slacking and everyone's days are full.

Ryan Price is like a one man news station on some days, doing Al's morning show (for which he gets up at 3AM) and then reading the news well into the morning. And he's still the news director. Last night he did the 3-6PM segment in addition to everything else on his plate.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1334 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:31 PM

For all we know their tech guy has moved on to another role, or to another organization. The media business is very fluid these days and the operations are run with all hands on deck, meaning nobody is slacking and everyone's days are full.

Ryan Price is like a one man news station on some days, doing Al's morning show (for which he gets up at 3AM) and then reading the news well into the morning. And he's still the news director. Last night he did the 3-6PM segment in addition to everything else on his plate.

That's putting it very charitably Mike, lol. Ask any observer in Vancouver about the state of radio in particular - or really anyone anywhere outside of Toronto - and you'll get a somewhat more blunt assessment re: the biz.....

#1335 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:01 AM

margins are tight and only hard workers allowed. so al ferraby and Ryan price are still there. seems simple.

#1336 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:05 AM

Brennae was not alone being fired:

https://www.pugetsou...read-bell-cuts/

#1337 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:06 AM

Komo weather guy Steve pool retiring.

https://www.pugetsou...pool-to-retire/

#1338 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:11 AM

and the full story:

https://komonews.com...-pool-to-retire

#1339 broadcastingstudent

broadcastingstudent
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:26 PM

Brennae was not alone being fired:

https://www.pugetsou...read-bell-cuts/

Far more deserving individuals from Fax who deserved to be fired.

#1340 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:08 AM

Steve Pool is retiring? Geez now I really am feeling old.

I don't think broadcasting is dying at all it has just changed its distribution method. Podcasting is at an all time high. I do wish we had more local podcasts though.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users