Photo

CFAX AM / iHeart Radio Victoria | AM 1070

• Please log in to reply
1447 replies to this topic

#1361 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:31 PM

It was awful. I had to shuffle through the FM stations today.

Try CBC sometime. Trust me, you won't burst into flames.

#1362 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 09:07 PM

I like listening to Adam during the morning at work.  I was a little disappointed to hear the hockey thing.

IMO, sports talk in general should be shoveled off to the least desirable, most staticy AM frequency transmitted from a the furthest away antenna possible.  :badpc:  

Watching sports is bad enough.  Listening to it without seeing what's going on is silly.  The pre and post game interviews are all exactly the same, they might as well just find one from 1960 and repeat it.  

The "hockey thing"? Are you sure you're Canadian? :).

That (WJC) "hockey thing" is kind of important to a lot of people everywhere else in this country, at least those parts - which is to say the vast majority of it - not called Victoria.

Can't recall without looking it up but the annual TSN televised broadcasts of the WJC every December/Christmas/New Years consistently rank as some of their highest rated shows each calendar year. 

#1363 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 11:12 PM

Rogers (owners of Jack and The Ocean) owns NHL broadcast rights. They're not going to let a radio station owned by a rival company broadcast Canucks games.

Ah yes, true enough, didn’t even think of that. Life was much better when Bell owned the Canucks’ radio rights.

Remember though that Rogers only owns certain rights (Canadian national rights and some teams’ local rights). A number of Canadian teams still have their local broadcast rights (TV and/or radio) owned by Bell. Unfortunately not the Canucks though. Quite annoying when they pulled Canucks games from the radio in the transition to Jack.

#1364 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 06:41 AM

Try CBC sometime. Trust me, you won't burst into flames.

Yeah, CBC’s pretty good but I always forget to tune in.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1365 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:34 AM

I used to listen sometimes to Canucks' games but now can't pick it up on any of our radios. It's too bad, I enjoyed the chitchat after the game.

#1366 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:23 PM

I used to listen sometimes to Canucks' games but now can't pick it up on any of our radios. It's too bad, I enjoyed the chitchat after the game.

Depending on what part of town you're in, some areas are fairly strong with the Sportsnet 650 signal, while other parts of town it's just fuzz. Really annoying when you're driving about.

#1367 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 09:15 AM

old talk-show programming today.  honestly i'd rather they just play music than repeat old "news" programs.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 December 2019 - 09:16 AM.

• Lorenzo likes this

#1368 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 27 December 2019 - 01:50 PM

They seemed to have backed off on the My Pillow ads. Thank God.

• Midnightly and Victoria Watcher like this

#1369 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 01:56 PM

That (WJC) "hockey thing" is kind of important to a lot of people everywhere else in this country, at least those parts - which is to say the vast majority of it - not called Victoria.

Can't recall without looking it up but the annual TSN televised broadcasts of the WJC every December/Christmas/New Years consistently rank as some of their highest rated shows each calendar year. 

ya it's big in canada someone did a great job of marketing it as important to us.  to the rest of the world they've never heard of it.

#1370 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 02:17 PM

^ True; but Victoria has always been an outlier re: hockey. Its life and a religion in most places in this country. Here not so much in spite of the fact there is a long history of amateur hockey in the city. Compared to its importance in the prairies or Central and Eastern Canada however its almost just another sport.

#1371 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 10:35 PM

It is just another sport. That said just about 8 weeks till baseball spring training!!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1372 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 09:33 AM

Victoria's climate plays against the interest in hockey. Growing up in Winnipeg, every kid would set up goals on their street, get a few guys together, and play some street shinny, until the "Car!" warning was called. (The goalie would have no padding, but there was a "no raising" rule.) Then after a few second pause, back at it. In Victoria, that's just not something that happens, being that the streets are usually clear all winter.

• Bernard likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1373 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:00 AM

Victoria's climate plays against the interest in hockey. Growing up in Winnipeg, every kid would set up goals on their street, get a few guys together, and play some street shinny, until the "Car!" warning was called. (The goalie would have no padding, but there was a "no raising" rule.) Then after a few second pause, back at it. In Victoria, that's just not something that happens, being that the streets are usually clear all winter.

When I lived in Europe in the early 90s the most Canadian moment happened in the outskirts of Prague.  I looked down from the apartment I was staying in and saw kids playing shinny and then one the kids yell something and they lifted the goals and let a car pass.    

#1374 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:10 AM

Hockey again this morning.  How am I supposed to get any work done without Adam Stirling to keep me company?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1375 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:12 AM

And there might be more hockey on Friday morning depending on the outcome of the games.

I have to say tuning in in the AM and not hearing Stirling’s show at 9 is kinda spooky. It’s like society has fallen apart and the radio stations are playing back-up records until their back-up generators run dry.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1376 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 11:16 AM

Adam Stirling has won the RTDNA Sam Ross Award for the second year in a row for his coverage of the horse carriage debacle. Listen to the snippet at: https://www.youtube....bed/VRrlIVjzkck
  • Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and Barrrister like this

Know it all.

#1377 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 08:19 AM

CFAX has started another weekly financial/investing infomercial saturdays at 8am.  hosts are from island savings.

CFAX has a very bad record there.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 August 2020 - 08:22 AM.

#1378 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:00 PM

CFAX has started another weekly financial/investing infomercial saturdays at 8am.  hosts are from island savings.

CFAX has a very bad record there.

these guys are very conservative.  mostly about budgeting, mortgages, index funds.  no pump and dump and speculative mining stocks.

#1379 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 11:02 PM

Perusing Twitter, I note that Adam Stirling is being physically threatened by one of Victoria's creepiest "activist" pothead police-haters, and in threatening him, he even tagged Dubow and Potts.

#1380 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 02:15 AM

check this twitter account;

https://twitter.com/hall_person?s=21
  • Rob Randall likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users