Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8824 replies to this topic

#4281 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:47 PM

My source was very confused when I told him that UCV disputed that Jam was going in their building.

The only other space that makes sense is if Jam leased out and combined the old Booster Juice and Rainbird Boutique spaces. Either that or the Cook & Pendergast development, unless the entire commercial space is taken up by the daycare. Unless they have no plans at all to expand into a second Victoria location.

Bob, do you think it’s possible that they will take over the Sushi Box Diner space?

Construction is underway on the Rainbird Boutique for Bubby Rose Bakery and the Booster Juice appears to be for lease still...

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 03 December 2018 - 03:47 PM.

• Bob Fugger likes this

#4282 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:37 AM

Bob, do you think it’s possible that they will take over the Sushi Box Diner space?

Construction is underway on the Rainbird Boutique for Bubby Rose Bakery and the Booster Juice appears to be for lease still...

Good question.  I'd say that it's a bit of a small location, but when The NEXT was in there, they expanded into 1/2 of the unit to the east (the other half now tenanted by Uomo, Modern Barber).  Sushi Box is till fairly new: do you know if it's in trouble/for sale?

With respect to Bubby Rose's Bakery, are they moving from up the street or will this be another, nearby location?

#4283 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:04 PM

Good question. I'd say that it's a bit of a small location, but when The NEXT was in there, they expanded into 1/2 of the unit to the east (the other half now tenanted by Uomo, Modern Barber). Sushi Box is till fairly new: do you know if it's in trouble/for sale?

With respect to Bubby Rose's Bakery, are they moving from up the street or will this be another, nearby location?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sushi Box exit, if only because of high turnover and heavy competition in the Sushi space. They are only open 5 days a week (Tuesday through Saturday).

The new Bubby’s will likely be a satellite of the Cook/Meares bakery.
  • Bob Fugger likes this

#4284 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:42 PM

A Pizza Hut is about to open on the corner of Head St. & Esquimalt  in the same plaza that has the Tim Hortons and Shoppers Drug Mart. 

Drove by today and the signage is all up and it looks like all the equipment is already in the restaurant and they are just doing the finishing touches on the interior carpentry.

it is going in where the Mega Mart used to be. Been sitting vacant for about 2 years.  Will be interesting to see how business goes, as there is a Sarpino's Pizza right across the street from it.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 04 December 2018 - 02:43 PM.

#4285 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:50 PM

That's a chain that has really had to change. When's the last time you went to a sit down Pizza Hut? I actually did that last year down in Cali or Oregon somewhere.

#4286 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:44 PM

Interesting that they are going back into that area after the one in the View Royal Canadian Tire plaza closed years ago.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4287 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,087 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

That's a chain that has really had to change. When's the last time you went to a sit down Pizza Hut? I actually did that last year down in Cali or Oregon somewhere.

in the 90's i used to frequent both the one downtown (now the el furniture) as well as shelbourne (less often).  salad bar and all-you-can-eat nights.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 December 2018 - 04:48 PM.

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#4288 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:43 PM

9 years ago in Arkansas. Asked for a beer and found out it was a DRY county. What in the hell kind of **** is that.
  • Matt R. and Danma like this

#4289 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:26 PM

9 years ago in Arkansas. Asked for a beer and found out it was a DRY county. What in the hell kind of **** is that.

Great policy. So resident DRIVE to the next county to get liquored up.

Pizza Hut was popular following the collapse of the infamous 2 for 1 pizza era in Victoria back in the 80s.

• Matt R., jonny and todd like this

#4290 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:10 AM

I was very disappointed when Pizza Hut closed it's dine in locations in Victoria.

It used to be a great place to go and had a great menu that included many items other than just pizza. 

Of course back in the 80's it took part in the Salad Bar craze for a while, then it sailed on as just a nice, friendly dine in restaurant chain.

I especially loved going to the one on Yates st. as it had real character with all the OLD BRICK work inside and dim lights. Reminding me slightly of the old  Lantern House Restaurant in style.

Then this thing happened where this giant corporation called YUM bought out all the Pizza Huts and turned them into these Pizza Hut Express's. YUM changed the product completely, everything from the dough to the toppings, to the pizza sauce all changed. The only thing that remained the same was the name.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 05 December 2018 - 12:11 AM.

#4291 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,568 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:48 AM

Yeah, that always sneaks up on ya. Had that happen last year. Wtf.

• jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4292 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:09 AM

Prohibition ended in the US 85 years ago today. For most counties, that is.

• jonny likes this

#4293 Matt in Langford

Matt in Langford
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:46 AM

As a teenager in the 1990’s, I enjoyed eating the Lunch Buffet at the Pizza Hut Restaurants. The server would come table to table offering a variety of pizzas. They even had dessert pizzas. I remember paying $6.95 or something for a lot of pizza. Friends would even try to eat their own age in pizza.
  • Nparker and Mystic-Pizza like this

#4294 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:13 AM

As a teenager in the 1990’s, I enjoyed eating the Lunch Buffet at the Pizza Hut Restaurants. The server would come table to table offering a variety of pizzas. They even had dessert pizzas. I remember paying $6.95 or something for a lot of pizza. Friends would even try to eat their own age in pizza.

That must have been after my time, or before it.

I was a 1980's Pizza hut generation.

#4295 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:23 PM

Vegan pizza is coming to Victoria. Vancouver's Virtuous Pie will open next spring at 530 Pandora. via http://dailyhive.com...bc-new-location

• Mike K., gstc84 and thundergun like this

#4296 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,788 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:27 PM

Virtuous Signalling Pie

• jonny likes this

#4297 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 December 2018 - 05:00 PM

Also, Cera Korean Tapas now has a website (and a building permit for the renovation). This is NUBOs new Korean restaurant going into the Janion. https://www.nubocera.com/

Website says they're opening this month. Anyone have an inside scoop?

#4298 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:45 PM

That makes sense as to why there were rumours on here about Nubo moving in here. I've been wondering about that one. Last I checked signs on their windows said "opening summer 2018". 

That area seems to be a hot place for new eateries as of late. 
-Maman Restaurant
-Virtuous Pie
-Cera
-The Village
^All within half a block of the intersection of Pandora and Store.

#4299 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:23 AM

I am soooo looking forward to having all these options right close to work. Right now it's all tacos and Chinese fare.

Though Virtuous Pie... ick. Vegan cheese is enough to make me swear off pizza.

• Nparker likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#4300 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:42 AM

I am soooo looking forward to having all these options right close to work. Right now it's all tacos and Chinese fare.

Though Virtuous Pie... ick. Vegan cheese is enough to make me swear off pizza.

Seriously?  You work down there and are complaining about food options?  Have you ever worked in just a normal strip mall or suburban office?

• thundergun likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users