Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#4641 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:02 AM

I suspect it's whoever does the social media who wrote that. The owner has been described previously as being pretty level-headed and well-spoken. He also apparently tried in the past to purchase the property but wasn't able to make it happen.

On social media commentary, of course people are jumping to conclusions that it will be condos (which in reality isn't known yet I think), bemoaning the loss of Victoria's charm and uniqueness, and - wait for it - the devolution into something like Vancouver.

I heard several years ago that the owner of the property was unwilling to sell despite repeated offers. Perhaps Sakura (the developer who owns this property) made a very lucrative offer.

And perhaps a good way to secure a long term future for restaurants would be for council to encourage more retail and restaurant strata units, especially if these can be purchased by owner/operators (sometimes these commercial strata units are held in perpetuity by a developer and rented out). The nail salon at the base of the Wave is in a space they actually bought from Austin Hamilton in 2006, so they are protected from both rent increases and redevelopment.

#4642 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:14 AM

why do we need protection for restaurants?

#4643 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:32 AM

a victoria buzz comment on plutos:

Rosemary VerranDelbridge

As we are already experiencing water shortages (and restrictions) in June, who can possibly think building more condos is a good idea....???? For goodness sake stop this madness now.. And while I'm about it, if you can't afford to live in Victoria move somewhere else, and if you don't like old houses, don't buy one. End of.

#4644 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:16 AM

Where does one even begin to respond to such convoluted gibberish?

#4645 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:14 AM

Water shortages? Good grief.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4646 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:51 PM

Any updates on when Big O is taking over the old Ming’s Building?

Edited by Promontory Kingpin, 26 June 2019 - 05:52 PM.

#4647 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:31 PM

Not happening. The deal fell through.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4648 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:26 PM

Looks like a Domino's is going in at 770 Bay Street. It's the commercial centre at Bay and Blanshard.

• Mike K. likes this

#4649 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:58 PM

What's up with all the new Domino's?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4650 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:00 PM

What's up with all the new Domino's?

i think once they set one up others fall into place.  right down the line.

Any questions that lingered about the company’s momentum after CEO Patrick Doyle’s retirement six months ago should be settled by now. Successor Ritch Allison hasn’t missed a beat and his investor day presentation illustrates that the company has no plans to rest on its laurels. Domino’s is projecting $25 billion in annual sales globally by 2025 – double its 2017 sales of $12.25 billion – as well as 2,000 new U.S. stores within that time frame.

In a crowded restaurant space plagued by oversaturation, this is an ambitious goal. To grow its footprint, Domino’s plans to lean heavily into its fortressing strategy, which began in 2012. The idea is simply to add more stores to existing markets in an effort to cut down on delivery times and be closer to carryout customers.

This approach presents a risk of cannibalization (see Subway). But Domino’s has advantages in that these fortressed stores are being opened by existing operators in the market. It also helps that a majority of the company’s business comes through delivery/carryout channels, so more stores should – in theory at least – lead to higher volumes, higher sales and, ultimately, higher profitability. Fortressing could also prevent competition from gaining traction in the market.

Domino’s got to that number because it offers 18 different ways to order. For consumers demanding convenience and speed, this is quite a differentiator. Domino’s is essentially conditioning consumers to order a pizza with very little friction, regardless of they are – even if that happens to be a beach. The company is furthering appealing to convenience seekers by offering a strong value proposition.

https://www.forbes.com/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 June 2019 - 03:06 PM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#4651 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:40 PM

Their pizza is also good value and while not gourmet, I'm always satisfied.

Edited by lanforod, 27 June 2019 - 07:41 PM.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#4652 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:35 PM

Since their CEO admitted their pizza sucked 2 years ago and redid the entire menu, it's significantly better now, and they market aggressively

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#4653 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:45 PM

We order it a few times a month. Super fast delivery and unlimited 2 topping pizzas for 7.99 is a pretty good deal. Kids order their own and then take the leftovers to school for lunch. Perfect for the super crazy driving all over town after school kind of days. Pizza is actually pretty decent. Our go to place is Prima Strada but it's pricey.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#4654 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 02:39 PM

Domino's is very  good, but depends on the location.   They have a great website and easy to order online and modify your pizza order.  Put your location in the website and they will have discounts for each specific location. They have 50% off online orders all the time, can get a large fully loaded pizza for $10. I always choose the pan pizza crust myself.

There is a good forbes article about Domino's being a tech company that just happens to sell pizza.

"Domino’s Pizza CEO Patrick Doyle has been talking about being a tech company that sells pizzas for years. Some initially balked at this declaration. After all, the purpose of a restaurant brand is to focus on the industry cornerstones: food and service."

https://www.forbes.c...s/#411d678f7771

#4655 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:20 PM

If McDonald’s can be a real-estate company, Domino’s can be a tech company.

There’s a brilliance behind appearing to be one thing, but actually being something else.

Know it all.

#4656 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:41 PM

^There was a story out yesterday about how Amazon is now a bigger shipping company than FedEx, UPS or the USPS. Freight delivery is their main thing.

Another story I read was how milk, cream and sugar are the main thing coffee shops sell. Actual coffee beans make up a smaller portion of their overall expenses.

Edited by Rob Randall, 28 June 2019 - 05:44 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#4657 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:46 PM

Right!

I gave a UVic lecture once about the hidden business of big business hiding in plain sight. The kids were confused. I looked old.

Know it all.

#4658 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:29 PM

...I gave a UVic lecture once about the hidden business of big business hiding in plain sight. The kids were confused. I looked old.

Maybe it was just your hairstyle.  -- Kidding!

Happy Canada Day everyone.  :thumbsup:

#4659 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:52 PM

What hairstyle, lol
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#4660 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 03:04 AM

it’s a bit like car dealerships. they make little money really selling cars. they make their money selling extras and then of course fixing them later.

they are not selling a car. they are trying to sell a multi-year relationship with their customer. to maximize it they need that customer to buy their next 4 cars there and have them all serviced in-house.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 June 2019 - 03:07 AM.

• jonny likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users