Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#4661 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:46 AM

Selling used cars and leases are big money makers too. Leasing a car for four years and then selling that lightly used vehicle on the used car lot has to be a big money maker.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#4662 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:04 AM

Stage Winebar has sold. New owner is a current employee, referred to as “David” in the post. Not sure if this affects the Livet or not.

Haven’t been to Stage in many years.

Matt.

#4663 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 11:17 AM

Went to Stage Winebar for the first time last Saturday. Was really impressed - really enjoyed everything I had. For Fernfest, they had a special of 3 small plates (2 savoury, 1 sweet) for $35. They made a mistake on my second dish so while I waited for the replacement, they added to my glass of wine.

I'm sorry I had never gone there before. Hope it sticks around!

• Matt R. likes this

#4664 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 01:33 PM

I’m sure it’s not going anywhere, it’s got some pretty deep roots.

We used to frequent the place back in the Szasz days, always excellent and extremely creative.

Matt.

#4665 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 01:35 PM

Szasz? The Polish sensation?

Stage is amazing. Well worth the price.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4666 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, George and Linda opened it after they sold Paprika. He was a great chef of course, but they always had very, very high standards. Former bar man Stephen (that repurposed bowling alley bar top though ...) is the guy who owns Chorizo and Co. now.

Matt.

#4667 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 05:46 PM

Dosa Paragon, a South Indian restaurant, is replacing the Taste of Europe Deli in St Andrew’s Square.
  • Mike K. likes this

#4668 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:31 AM

Some upcoming changes to the Hartwig Court building on 1202/1208/1214 Wharf Street based on the open data portal. BPs have been issued for a new restaurant called L'Authentique Poutine Burgers as well as repair and expansion of the upper deck. Unsure if the two are related, but both permits were issued in June.

Also not sure if it is "authentic poutine and burgers," "authentic poutine made of burgers," or "authentic burgers made of poutine." I used to live in Montreal and have no idea what a poutine burger is so I'm going with Door Number One.

EDIT: Victoria's website is missing the ampersand. It is a brick-and-mortar outlet of the food truck L'authentique Poutine & Burgers. Mystery solved! via https://www.lauthent...-7XS_9Mb1fXLtz0

Edited by Jackerbie, 03 July 2019 - 08:34 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#4669 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:32 AM

L'Authentique currently operates a popular food cart...

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 03 July 2019 - 08:32 AM.

• Jackerbie likes this

#4670 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:01 PM

It appears that Tooks on Cook has finally closed after many years near the corner of Cook and Fort. Their most recent space is the former Cafe Ceylon; they relocated there due to the construction of Black and White.

There is a new restaurant in the recently-closed Tooks location: Joie (an existing French Cafe in North Park) has apparently opened a full service restaurant (grill and tapas) here called Joie Grille. I knew that Joie was successful with their first concept, so I wish them well in their new venture too.

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 03 July 2019 - 05:02 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#4671 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

^I saw that yesterday--sounds interesting. It's in the medical building across from Pluto's.

#4672 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 05:10 PM

Nohra Thai Kitchen in Estevan village is now open for dinner service with lunch service coming soon. 

The food is delicious! http://nohrathai.com

• Mike K. likes this

#4673 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:42 PM

Dosa Paragon, a South Indian restaurant, is replacing the Taste of Europe Deli in St Andrew’s Square.

...mmm, dosa!...  i can't wait!...

https://food52.com/b...ern-indian-food

The Differences Between Northern & Southern Indian Food

I am often asked to clarify the difference between North and South Indian cooking because my mother is from Bangalore in the South and my father grew up in Allahabad and Delhi in the North

https://www.roughgui...ou-need-to-try/

south-indian-food-demystified-10-dishes-you-need-to-try

Tandoori, naan bread, butter chicken and rich vegetable curries are delicious, but these north Indian staples are just a fraction of the country’s diverse culinary offerings.

To get a more complete picture, you also need to head south. South Indian cuisine is vastly different – think steamed, spiced and coconut-flavoured.

• Matt R. and johnk like this

#4674 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:58 PM

I just hired two cooks from Chennai in Tamil Nadu ... I’m very interested to see what they can cook come October!

Matt.
  • Bob Fugger likes this

#4675 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:48 AM

Moxie's (Yates/Vancouver) is closed for the next week and a half undergoing renovations. Plan is to re-open on July 18.

#4676 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:57 AM

thats interesting. moxies already seems pretty perfect.

#4677 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:14 PM

Toptable is bringing a fine dining experience to Victoria. BP is issued for tenant improvements to 1515 Douglas Street. They are also hiring a restaurant director for the new Victoria restaurant: http://toptable.ca/c...urant-director/

Toptable operates several restaurants in Vancouver and Whistler, including the Blue Water Cafe in Gastown.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#4678 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:17 PM

This has been such a long time coming. What's taken so long for the BP, I wonder?

Do we have any additional details related to the BP, Jackerbie?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4679 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:22 PM

This has been such a long time coming. What's taken so long for the BP, I wonder?

Do we have any additional details related to the BP, Jackerbie?

Nothing aside from what is listed on the Open Data portal: "Creation of restaurant in new commercial space. Exterior changes & fire suppression plan included in scope of work." Looks like they applied March 25, 2019, and the BP was issued July 5, 2019.

EDIT: Also note that the job posting is from May 1, 2019

Edited by Jackerbie, 08 July 2019 - 12:23 PM.

#4680 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:06 PM

Kristian Eligh will be the executive chef of the new restaurant. He was previously the Culinary Director for Hawksworth Group and is originally from Victoria.

Plan is that it will be a 100-seat restaurant plus a 30-seat patio. Menu will be "seafood-centric" along with a Mediterranean-style crudo raw bar.

Some more info here: https://canadas100be...ghs-homecoming/

• Jackerbie likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users