Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
5066 replies to this topic

#5061 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:44 PM

Artisan Cafe is permanently closed, "Pho Wisdom" will be opening in its place.

And with Blue Fox next door closed for renovations you best go elsewhere for brunch. 

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#5062 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:56 PM

Avalon! My go to if I'm going to brunch downtown. Just a block over from that overpriced Blue Fox nonsense. :D

~ Jasmine ~

#5063 gstc84

gstc84
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:02 PM

Artisan Cafe was delicious but the name was terrible and it had a high-prices-meets-small-portions problem compared to other brunch spots. Never saw more than a handful of tables occupied.

I've always found Blue Fox overrated and I've had too many experiences with raw potatoes and shell pieces in my eggs at Avalon to go there. We're spoiled for choice here, but The Ruby (Mama's fried egg sandwich!) and Heron Rock Bistro have become my most regular brunch spots.

#5064 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:10 PM

Artisan Cafe was delicious but the name was terrible and it had a high-prices-meets-small-portions problem compared to other brunch spots. Never saw more than a handful of tables occupied.

I've always found Blue Fox overrated and I've had too many experiences with raw potatoes and shell pieces in my eggs at Avalon to go there. We're spoiled for choice here, but The Ruby (Mama's fried egg sandwich!) and Heron Rock Bistro have become my most regular brunch spots.

Alas, high-prices-meets-small-portions is definitely an issue at Paul's Diner by Fol Epi... 

And I've been to Artisan Bistro @ Broadmead, which definitely *isn't* a good value either.   And it's not that I object to paying more for local/organic ingredients:  I've always been happy with the combination of food/portion size/price at Ten Acres Bistro.

#5065 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,773 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted Today, 09:47 AM

There's a Building Permit in process for a new restaurant at 754 Pandora, the space between Dobosala and the plaza. Folder description lists the business as "Cube Restaurant." Anybody have more details to share?

This BP has been issued, but still no clues about the mysterious Cube! I do know that Waymark Architecture is involved (Waymark is also doing the work on January Gin Joint & Eatery).

• Mike K. likes this

#5066 Danma

Danma
  • 482 posts

Posted Today, 11:05 AM

Apologies if this has already been mentioned:  Haro's Restaurant (at Sidney Pier Hotel) is now closed/defunct.  The restaurant will be reopening as the newest outlet of Ten Acres...

That will be a popular option. The trend of restaurants making a name for themselves then opening second locations in other municipalities continues... seems to be a successful strategy.

#5067 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,390 posts

Posted Today, 02:24 PM

Nothing new for Mike Murphy. What restaurant hasn’t that guy owned?

Matt.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

kayla, RFS