Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#5061 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:44 PM

Artisan Cafe is permanently closed, "Pho Wisdom" will be opening in its place.

And with Blue Fox next door closed for renovations you best go elsewhere for brunch. 

#5062 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:56 PM

Avalon! My go to if I'm going to brunch downtown. Just a block over from that overpriced Blue Fox nonsense. :D

~ Jasmine ~

#5063 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:02 PM

Artisan Cafe was delicious but the name was terrible and it had a high-prices-meets-small-portions problem compared to other brunch spots. Never saw more than a handful of tables occupied.

I've always found Blue Fox overrated and I've had too many experiences with raw potatoes and shell pieces in my eggs at Avalon to go there. We're spoiled for choice here, but The Ruby (Mama's fried egg sandwich!) and Heron Rock Bistro have become my most regular brunch spots.

#5064 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:10 PM

Artisan Cafe was delicious but the name was terrible and it had a high-prices-meets-small-portions problem compared to other brunch spots. Never saw more than a handful of tables occupied.

I've always found Blue Fox overrated and I've had too many experiences with raw potatoes and shell pieces in my eggs at Avalon to go there. We're spoiled for choice here, but The Ruby (Mama's fried egg sandwich!) and Heron Rock Bistro have become my most regular brunch spots.

Alas, high-prices-meets-small-portions is definitely an issue at Paul's Diner by Fol Epi... 

And I've been to Artisan Bistro @ Broadmead, which definitely *isn't* a good value either.   And it's not that I object to paying more for local/organic ingredients:  I've always been happy with the combination of food/portion size/price at Ten Acres Bistro.

#5065 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:47 AM

There's a Building Permit in process for a new restaurant at 754 Pandora, the space between Dobosala and the plaza. Folder description lists the business as "Cube Restaurant." Anybody have more details to share?

This BP has been issued, but still no clues about the mysterious Cube! I do know that Waymark Architecture is involved (Waymark is also doing the work on January Gin Joint & Eatery).

• Mike K. likes this

#5066 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:05 AM

Apologies if this has already been mentioned:  Haro's Restaurant (at Sidney Pier Hotel) is now closed/defunct.  The restaurant will be reopening as the newest outlet of Ten Acres...

That will be a popular option. The trend of restaurants making a name for themselves then opening second locations in other municipalities continues... seems to be a successful strategy.

#5067 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:24 PM

Nothing new for Mike Murphy. What restaurant hasn’t that guy owned?

Matt.

#5068 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:51 AM

Island Bakery is going to shut down soon:

https://www.cheknews...r-doors-639442/

#5069 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,000 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:36 PM

Another Vancouver Island restaurant owner, Calen McNeil, is looking at his options as his Big Wheel Burgers chain has grown to four restaurants. He pays above minimum wage and health benefits to keep employees in a tight market for skilled workers, but he says the new payroll tax is pushing him below the break-even point.

“In effect I have to borrow the money to pay the tax,” McNeil told radio station CKNW this week.

His latest burger restaurant opened in Nanaimo, but for further expansion, he’s looking outside B.C.

https://www.vicnews....ant-group-says/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2020 - 04:36 PM.

#5070 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:40 PM

This BP has been issued, but still no clues about the mysterious Cube! I do know that Waymark Architecture is involved (Waymark is also doing the work on January Gin Joint & Eatery).

Signs went up today on the outside window. It says that it's from the owners of Nubo and there's a picture of a guy eating some sort of Asian dish. I saw construction workers coming in and out of it.

• Mike K. and Jackerbie like this

#5071 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,000 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:48 AM

$70k.

Own your own business and be your own boss. This easy to run business is located in the hart of Quadra St.Village next to Fairways food and the Roxy Theater.One of the Best Poutine, Pizza, Restaurants in Victoria. Eat in or take out this 30 seat restaurant has out side tables also.Look At This Menu ...Start with Pizza along with Pita Wraps , Poutine , English Style Fish & Chips with fresh home made chips. Montreal smoked meat sandwich or Ciabotta Bun,Roast Beef Sandwich,Steak Sandwich, Pita Wraps,Donairs, Chicken Wings, And of course Pountine 66 done with many sauces including Curry Chicken Poutine. 

https://www.realtor....ctoria-hillside

#5072 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:48 PM

So it's called Cube Food Box and they're apparently opening in February according to the new sign.

Here's their website:
https://www.cubefoodbox.com

• Hotel Mike likes this

#5073 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:10 PM

I gotta say that looks pretty slick. I’m in.
  • Brantastic likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5074 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,000 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 04:27 PM

$145k

Amazing chance for you to own a turnkey Qoola Frozen Yogurt . Situated in one of the major shopping mall in Victoria, Hillside Mall went through a 80 million dollar renovation and this well established store is superbly situation right next to the food court. Qoola is driven by the desire to provide healthy and wide variety of products for the community. That is why it is one of the most successful brand in the industry. This location provides the opportunity to increase its menu selection and sales. Come make this your Destined Business and enjoy the growth with the company. * PLEASE DO NOT APPROACH STAFF, THANK YOU (21935227)

#5075 kayla

kayla
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:51 PM

I don't think this has been mentioned yet but Dylan's Sports Bar is now Sonora Bar and Grill.

#5076 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:39 PM

san remo is for sale for just $89,000

San Remo (Motto: "It Ain't What It Used To Be"™) is now closed. A sign in the window says their lease expired.

#5077 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,000 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:45 PM

San Remo (Motto: "It Ain't What It Used To Be"™) is now closed. A sign in the window says their lease expired.

We are closing.

Due to lease expiry, San Remo restaurant is closed as of January 20th, 2020. The restaurant is expected to re-open at a new location. Stay tuned. Please email us if you have any questions. 

http://www.sanremovic.ca/

jan 10 2019:

49694587_2290842687614821_33712166606680

https://www.facebook...?type=3

Happy New Year Victoria! We have a lot to celebrate. This January marks Yi Yang’s fourth year owning San Remo since she took over for Dino in 2015 (our head chef Sid has worked here for 18 years). Talk about loyalty and family! We all love our cozy little restaurant and delicious food, and it makes us happy to share with you. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 February 2020 - 03:49 PM.

#5078 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,000 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:06 AM

$145k

Amazing chance for you to own a turnkey Qoola Frozen Yogurt . Situated in one of the major shopping mall in Victoria, Hillside Mall went through a 80 million dollar renovation and this well established store is superbly situation right next to the food court. Qoola is driven by the desire to provide healthy and wide variety of products for the community. That is why it is one of the most successful brand in the industry. This location provides the opportunity to increase its menu selection and sales. Come make this your Destined Business and enjoy the growth with the company. * PLEASE DO NOT APPROACH STAFF, THANK YOU (21935227)

the uptown one is also listed for sale now $59k:

https://www.realtor....ictoria-gateway

#5079 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,000 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:08 AM

I don't think this has been mentioned yet but Dylan's Sports Bar is now Sonora Bar and Grill.

83818091_120652072808622_819718362689961

#5080 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:13 PM

An Indian restaurant is opening soon on Fort Street, called Taj. They haven’t confirmed where on Fort Street, though. Any ideas?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users