City of Victoria looks to rein in horse-drawn carriages

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

#61 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

Let's phase them out.  Let's set a date (end of summer 2023?).  That will likely please almost all parties.  5 years to come up with an awesome replacement too.

Why?

• Nparker likes this

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

Why?

• Because sometimes the animals get hurt. 
  • Because some groups feel it's no longer a modern, humane practice.  There will never be a definitive true/false on this.
  • There are now, or certainly will be soon, much more environmentally friendly alternatives for this type of sightseeing.

• Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

• Because some groups feel it's no longer a modern, humane practice.  There will never be a definitive true/false on this.
  • There are now, or certainly will be soon, much more environmentally friendly alternatives for this type of sightseeing.

what's more environmentally friendly than a living, breathing horse?

• rjag and Matt R. like this

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:20 PM

what's more environmentally friendly than a living, breathing horse?

If horses were an efficient form of transportation, we would not have trucks.  Or bikes.

• Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:30 PM

If horses were an efficient form of transportation, we would not have trucks.  Or bikes.

I am not sure anyone takes a horse-drawn carriage ride because it is "efficient".

• tedward and Midnightly like this

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:33 PM

I am not sure anyone takes a horse-drawn carriage ride because it is "efficient".

I was simply answering the question from RFS.

I think people take carriage rides because they are very open-air, go slow enough so people can take in the sights and sounds, and probably lastly because they are pulled by a horse.

Let's get more of those multi-user bikes.    

#67 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:40 PM

Sometimes folks that rent bikes fall off them....sometimes folks like to ride in a carriage pulled by a horse...some people think that there are too many uninformed people that are against stuff like this because of the optics without really understanding whats going on....  you do realise if these horses don't have jobs then they are destined to be in your dogs kibble....personally I like to see them doing what they like to do....

Perhaps we should ban whale watching while we're at it... :judge:  Meanwhile the roads in the City are in terrible shape, we have gridlock, a housing crisis and a whole bunch of critical infrastructure work requiring the CoV attention....just saying

• Nparker, Matt R., tedward and 1 other like this

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

...I think people take carriage rides because they are very open-air, go slow enough so people can take in the sights and sounds, and probably lastly because they are pulled by a horse. Let's get more of those multi-user bikes.    

Those bikes do not offer the same experience at all.

Perhaps move the horses to less trafficked streets, but I don't see any sort of substitute experience that will replace them from a tourist's perspective.

Other places seem to be able manage the issue: 
https://www.viator.c.../d77-g12-c26029
http://www.seville-t...-carriage-tour/
https://www.thestar....uebec-city.html
https://www.expedia....ctivity-details

https://www.bermuda-...muda_0000c1.htm
http://www.stpetersb...downtown-tours/
https://www.experien...se-and-carriage

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

..  you do realise if these horses don't have jobs then they are destined to be in your dogs kibble....personally I like to see them doing what they like to do...

That's why you phase them out, these horses can retire normally.  Don't breed new ones.

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:47 PM

Hey and as I pointed out earlier, in some progressive countries like Morocco, the carriage horses have learned to share the streets with the cars, or in them.

#71 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

Nothing you replace them with gives the same experience (romantic), particularly for the smaller carriages (not the big wagon one).

#72 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

Hey and as I pointed out earlier, in some progressive countries like Morocco, the carriage horses have learned to share the streets with the cars, or in them.

Would ICBC cover that  :banana:

#73 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

Nothing you replace them with gives the same experience (romantic), particularly for the smaller carriages (not the big wagon one).

Hey, nothing replaces bull-fighting in Spain or calf-roping at the rodeo for the thrill, does not mean it's right.  I mean The Hunger Games or just public executions would be hugely popular too.  Or just public assisted medical death, no animals involved, all volunteers, medical oversight.    

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 May 2018 - 03:03 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#74 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:13 PM

I don't think there is a legitimate comparison between bull-fighting, horses pulling carriages, or dwarf tossing. Two of those three are obviously wrong. One is very debatable.

• Nparker and tedward like this

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:15 PM

Look, I don't think urban deer should be treated any differently than urban rats.   But at some point, you realize you are not in the majority.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 May 2018 - 03:15 PM.

#76 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

Have the majority of people said they they think horse-drawn carriage rides should be stopped? I don't recall this being on any sort official CoV referendum.

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:26 PM

I can tell you, people on all sides are not liking that recent video.

#78 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:31 PM

And does that video represent the actual day-to-day experiences of the HDC trade? Is it an accurate snapshot of how the businesses operate or how the horses have historically been treated? 

• rjag and Midnightly like this

#79 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

The group that posted the video has been removing any comments on the facebook page that does not corroborate their agenda. And there have been plenty. Folks who own horses, etc that have no chips in the pile other than pointing out that it looks worse than it is.

• rjag likes this

#80 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:17 PM

I never read comments over there. I read them on one of my pages where the video was shared to. No comments removed by us.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users